HMS Victory build - Mantua/Panart 738 by Daliab - [COMPLETED BUILD]

While waiting for missing parts to arrive from model ship venders, I managed to build/mount all three masts.
Warning: For those who may order a Mantua/Panart HMS Victory 738 kit. I was missing 70 each 7mm single blocks, 11 each 7mm double blocks, the wrong size belaying pins. Pins were to short to extend below the belaying rack holders to tie ropes on each. Some may say you should have done and inventory of pieces supplied. Problem the kit they sell today is the same kit sold years ago and the instructions show pictures of stuff they don't even cover. All of the accessories were packaged in a hard plastic units that were mounted on a cardboard panel. You can't loose any pieces unless you open everything and loose track of the parts.
Unfortunately, you don't know what your missing until you get to that part of the build when those parts are needed. I've emailed the Mantua vender in the UK where I purchased the kit and and still haven't heard from them.... don't really expect to though. The issue is with the worldwide pandemic, lots of modelers are spending time on their models. I've noticed that a lot of suppliers are out of models and accessary parts with no date when they expect to be resupplied. I do have to say that Mantua/Panart's HMS Victory 738 has been a fun build, just a little irritated that parts were missing.

20200807_173654_resized.jpg

Very nice job !!!

May I ask a favor. Would it be possible to post close up pictures of the sails. I would like to see details of how you did that job. Just a couple as example. No need to be all the sails.

And no worries if you can't.

Best
Daniel

Wish your Victory a Happy Birthday - Very good looking
and
you are a fast modeler :cool:

Congratulations for finishing this great model - She is looking very good......

Do you plan to present her in a showcase?
and what is next after the Victory? This time something smaller

Congratulations for finishing this great model - She is looking very good......

Do you plan to present her in a showcase?
and what is next after the Victory? This time something smaller
The closet behind the ship will be torn down and become an L shape extention of the adjoining bookcase. Planning on putting glass doors simular to a china cabinet but much deeper, longer, and lit.

The closet behind the ship will be torn down and become an L shape extention of the adjoining bookcase. Planning on putting glass doors simular to a china cabinet but much deeper, longer, and lit.
She looks great. I have not started mine yet but I hope it turns out as well as yours. I like the idea for the closet. Wish I had a place like that to use.

IN reference to your clew lines in the main sails,,, I noticed you moved them inward. Should they not of been on the corners of the ssails. The reason I'm asking is because I am working on same with furled sails and considering leaving them on the corners. Thank you Ken

How I got started in this hobby. A couple of years ago the wife and I went to Boston to visit my sister. While there we went into a gift store in Rhode Island that had all of these beautiful looking wooden model sail boats. I said to myself I would love to build one of these. That Christmas, my wife bought me the Smuggler from Blue Jacket. I started it with lots of enthusiasm that petered out after a couple of months. Bottomline.... I retired 1 1/2 years ago and decided to finish the Smuggler. When I sent pictures to my sister she stated that lots of models have been distroyed by wives who attemptef to remove the dust. So... I decided to build a display case. Here is the finish product.

View attachment 135022
Hallo @Daliab
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Holy Cow! Spent $250 for the oak lumber to build a similar display case built 2 years ago (pictured). Checked on the price of double pain glass for the display case.... $360. Total $610. The case will almost cost more that what I paid for the Mantua/Panart 738 kit. Crazy.

Back