HMS Victory cross section (De'Agostini)

May I take this opportunity to wish ALL members of the SOS forum a truly happy and blessed Christmas and all the very best for the New Year.

Now don't go and make any new year's resolutions you have no hope of fulfilling.
Been there. Done that. Bought the T-shirt. ----------- Lost the T-shirt.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!!!

Hi Zoly,
I am afraid that all progress on the slipway has come to a grinding halt.
Negotiations have collapsed, and all workers have walked off site.
It would seem that I am going through a period of extreme depression and have no desire to do anything.
Naturally, the lockdown and self-isolation is not helping the situation.
Occasionally I manage to raise a bit of enthusiasm, but within 5 minutes I lose interest.
Damned frustrating and look forward to the day that I am able to shake this off.
Thank you for asking. Hopefully, very soon, I can get back to the Victory.
Stay well.
T

It would seem that I am going through a period of extreme depression and have no desire to do anything.
Naturally, the lockdown and self-isolation is not helping the situation.
Occasionally I manage to raise a bit of enthusiasm, but within 5 minutes I lose interest.
Damned frustrating and look forward to the day that I am able to shake this off.
Thank you for asking. Hopefully, very soon, I can get back to the Victory.
Stay well.
T

I'm also building the cross section. Just finishing the Orlap deck planking. I also know what depression does. Normally I'm a computer controlled railroad modeler. More intellectual then working with ones hands, since it involves a lot of logic and programming. Switching to one's hands has changed my perspective. My suggestion is to try something else for awhile.

Meanwhile of learned a lot from your build, and from other, including obtaining some special flat files with top & bottom having teeth permitting one to square off ports nicely.

I'm treating this build as a learning experience hoping to go to one involving planking and rigging the next time.

I also have two assistants in my shipyard who me help a bit.

IMG_1209.JPGIMG_1210.JPG

Hi Suzdal,
Your build is looking really good.
Didn't expect anyone to find my build of any use, as I often find myself floundering around trying to decide what and how to do the next step - and making many mistakes along the way.
Very happy to find out that it was of some help.
Couldn't help but notice that you too have decided to paint the cutout edges red.
I like the effect.
I will follow your build with great interest.
Stay well.
T

I'm a bit embarrassed to put my build up; it's my first attempt at building something. So I have been following along a bunch of builds silently.

Coloring the cutout edges red was something I learned on the forum.

Another thing learned was to maximize the parts of the build requiring sanding before detailing. That's why I built up the inner bulkheads & cut the ports instead of doing as per directions. The directions would have had me build each deck , bulkheads, details & ports as the build progressed. The directions are for guidance; they are NOT written in stone

The colliery to that, is read the instructions carefully at least 6 or 7 steps ahead (at least) & make sure that you understand what they are demanding.

Lock down is not easy, even with my 2 assistants & a wife to help. Frankly this whole colvid thing is a bit scary

Richard

MaxBela.JPG

Hi Richard,
Love your helpers. I will have to confess that I have a very large soft spot for cats.

Never be embarrassed to put your build up. It is your creation, and thus, you have every right to be justly proud of what you have created.
I have been taught on this site, that each of us has differing levels of creativity and workmanship.
One is not better than another, as each is the creation of an individual, doing their best with their current knowledge.
We each get better as we progress with our hobby.
So keep going mate, and let us enjoy the fruits of your labour.
We all love seeing the progress made, whether small or large, of exceptional quality or just average.
It does not matter.
And the more pictures, the better.
We just all enjoy seeing the progress of someone creating something that they enjoy and get pleasure from.

Stay well.
T

Richard, a fellow model railroader, do you program DCC?

I model HO in central US railroads, most all my engines and some cars are DCC equipped.

I am also very frustrated with lockdown, told to work from home on my computer and not go to office, even though nobody is there!!

Working remotely is often very frustrating when systems don't play well over VPN...

I try to do a little ship modeling to help keep me sane, and to put off the problems of the world.

As the old saying goes "I am the master of my own universe" and the friends and assistance on the forums helps me keep going, that and a visit or two from the grandkids helps much.

Kurt Konrath

While keeping busy at night, I was watching old reruns of Star Trek Next Generation, and in a episode of second season, the Chief Engineer Jordy, has built a large scale model of HMS Victory, as gift to the current Captain of the Federation Starship Victory. The Enterprise was scheduled for meeting with the Victory. He had worked with the other Captain when he was a young Ensign in Star Fleet.

Very nicely done model, with full rigging but no sails. Looked to be over a meter in length.

>> Richard, a fellow model railroader, do you program DCC?

Yes. I started doing it 3 years ago. Not having a past in model railroading I went directly to DCC, forgetting analog.

>> I model HO in central US railroads, most all my engines and some cars are DCC equipped.

Mostly engines, have now a B unit which is DCC so I'll have to figure out how to run both A & b units together. Am using N gauge, I have a test track set up here in Paris but my main tacks are in Normandy. I don't model anything special. It's the computer part that interests me the most. I have 2 loops and a bunch of sidings Am using both iTrain & Rocrail for the moment. Will have to make a choice soon.

>> I am also very frustrated with lockdown, told to work from home on my computer and not go to office, even though nobody is there!!

I can't get to my main rails in Normandy, being locked down here in Paris. That's why I turned to making sawdust from wood. I kind of like that also. Will go with Chris's Zulu soon. After that something more challenging.

>> Working remotely is often very frustrating when systems don't play well over VPN...

I know what you mean. I started working with computers in 1959. I've never trusted the bastards since.

>> I try to do a little ship modeling to help keep me sane, and to put off the problems of the world.

The same for me. Unfortunately that doesn't always work for me, since my wife is a hospital doctor here (so she doesn't get locked down) and I can't help be anxious of the consequences of that all day. I'm retired.

>> As the old saying goes "I am the master of my own universe" and the friends and assistance on the forums helps me keep going, that and a visit or two from the grandkids helps much.

Just cats & a wife on this end. I agree with you on the forums. I've learned a lot. Perhaps I should participate more by creating a build log of my Victory cross section. Problem I've made a lot of mistakes.

Richard

I thought I would like to share with you guys my very first attempt at doing a wooden model - well any model really.
I have been at it for the last three weeks, and am really enjoying it.
There have been a few mishaps along the way.
I glued the 8th frame in the wrong way round and a few of the planks slipped overnight. (useless pegs!!)
Both issues corrected with only the occasional incorrect language used.
The following pic is where I stand at the moment.
Busy planking the sides with the pumphouse cabin next on the list.

View attachment 69898
Hallo Tony, alias @Galley Slave ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Happy Birthday, Tony!!! Many more happy years to come! Birthday-Cake Hope to see your cross-section progress soon... :)

I thought I would like to share with you guys my very first attempt at doing a wooden model - well any model really.
I glued the 8th frame in the wrong way round and a few of the planks slipped overnight. (useless pegs!!)

View attachment 69898
Hallo Tony alias @Galley Slave
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Galley Slave
Birthday-Cake

May I take this opportunity to wish ALL members of the SOS forum a truly happy and blessed Christmas and all the very best for the New Year.

Now don't go and make any new year's resolutions you have no hope of fulfilling.
What were the dimensions of the pumps? Do you still have the plans?

Back