HMS Victory-Mamoli 1:90 Bruce Ives Build log

I am just back from Iqaluit and have started this kit. I found it at an auction near me. I know that it seems silly to start on this when I am already working on the Graupner Mayflower but I am keen to see how it will go. I have not done the rigging for the Mayflower so I intend to work on that before I do any rigging on the Victory ( in 2028 ..).
I found Y.T.’s build log for this kit from a while ago and I have already found it very useful.
IMG_8880.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a few questions for you. Did you have enough lathe to do the decks? Y.T. said that he did not have enough. The instructions say that the decking is Tanganyika lathe. I am not sure what that is. I found that there are loose lathes that are dark and there is a bundle of lathes that are light. Both are the right size but I don’t think that there is enough of the loose lathes to do the deck. What did you do?

Hello there Jim. In your picture the deck is made with a whitish wood. The wood I thought I was supposed to use is dark but the kit has lots of a more whitish wood that is the same size. I have lots of the strip on the left but not enough of the strip on the right:

IMG_9392.jpegI hope you don’t mind a lot of questions … If I can use the light wood, I can continue, but if it’s for something else and the dark wood is for the deck I will have to try to find more. Unfortunately I can’t find a parts list that will clarify.

Have you measured the wood? The deck planking is 0.5mm x 4mm. Tanganyika is light coloured.

The wood on the right looks like one of the walnut laths for second planking, which from memory is 0.5mm x 3mm.

Thank you again for your timely and extremely useful response. I can now continue since I have lots of the .5 mm by 4 mm light wood and will continue using it for the deck.

IMG_9404.jpeg
I have moved on to the decking. It is not a perfect job - I found myself veering from the centre line half way along. I followed the instructions to use a pencil to highlight the joins but did not take into account how dirty this would be. I will see what I can do to clean up once I have finished. I also painted the ‘below deck’ black. Would not have thought of that without the picture posted by Jim D.

I thought I would have enough of the strips to do all the decks but it looks like I too won’t have enough for them all. Will cross that bridge when I get to that point.

Last edited:
I have learned a lot from putting on the decking. It could look better but it could look a lot worse. I am counting on the various articles on the deck distracting the eyes from the flaws … I am pretty sure that future decking will be better.
I realize that paint can cover a lot of mistakes but in this case I am going to leave the decking plain, if grubby.

You can also see that the prow is still giving me trouble. It will sit straight for a while, then revert to its old habits….

So far I have not been intimidated by small pieces, although they have fought back once or twice. But it is really early days.

IMG_9405.jpeg

I have built and glued the gratings and ladders. I am aware that they are not exactly to specifications but sometimes you have to cut your losses…. I just have to finish the deck edges and I can move on and finish step 3. Although my results are not perhaps the best, I am sure enjoying working on this model.
IMG_9408.jpeg

The instructions are in Italian, German, French and English. Unfortunately the translation from the Italian is sometimes confusing to me. The parts lists are in Italian only.

BruceIves,

Don't worry about making mistakes. First, wood is a very forgiving material with which to build. Second, you are learning this hobby and making progress as you learn. You stated that you love building this kit so sit back, enjoy, and learn as you go! I am impressed with your effort so far!

Bill

You are absolutely correct. The reason I do this is to get enjoyment from the process and to exercise my motor skills. Both are happening with this model. And wood is very forgiving. I have a lot of experience with that!!

Thank you for your encouragement.

Have you glued the upper decks in place? If so, you'll have a job getting the cannons in.

Back