HMS Victory-Mamoli 1:90 Bruce Ives Build log

You need to read many steps ahead with the Mamoli 'instructions' as there are a few places that may/will catch you out.

The instructions tell you to place the cannons in via the gun ports - they will not fit with wheels fitted to the gun carriages, so the guns may be too low if you ditch the wheels.

That is what I saw in the instructions too. But I didn’t measure the ports to be sure that the cannons would fit. But I am not even sure the cannons and carriages that I have would fit even without the wheels …

I once had the Mamoli kit. Unfortunately, there were real issues with the structural parts aft. So, I sold the kit. I have since bought the Caldwell kit. But, sometimes I regret not having built the Mamoli kit. It would have been a challenge . . .

Bill

Looks like I haven’t painted myself into a corner. It won’t be easy but I can glue in the carriages before the planking and insert the cannons afterwards. And it looks to me that I shouldn’t put the wheels on the carriages. That makes it easier but it also looks to me that the cannons will be at the right height as well. I will have to be very careful to line things up properly.

Last edited:
Hello Jim D. Do you have pictures of the transom after you have planked the hull? I am planning future steps and I’m uncertain as to what to do there. I really appreciate the comments and pictures you have posted so far.

IMG_9452.jpegIMG_9451.jpeg
I am now working on shaping the hull in preparation for the planking. The bow looks straightforward but I think I will have some trouble shaping the stern since I am not sure what it is supposed to look like. I think I will decide what I want it to look like and then all sails unfurled!

It’s fun working with this. And so far it doesn’t look too bad. I put the gun carriages in before the planking.
IMG_9459.jpegIMG_9460.jpeg

Last edited:
The bag containing the cannon parts also contains a number of these that are made of metal. I can’t figure out what they are. Online there is a picture of a completed Mamoli model cannon but I can’t see this piece anywhere. Could someone tell me what they are? Thanks in advance.IMG_9462.jpeg

They are the caps that go over the pins to secure the cannon to the carriage, they break in the middle to make two caps.

Ahh. Thank you!! I didn’t think of that. I took a second look at the picture online and they are not there. Was wondering if I had missed them.

Last edited:
I should add that if I had followed Y.T.’s log more closely I would have seen what the little metal strips were for. And I can’t get close to this quality of work!!

It doesn’t look like much yet, but progress is slow and steady. I discovered that the metal gun ports can be filed and shaped and that the wood for the hull will bend quite easily if soaked in the bathtub in hot water and then steamed. I was worried about that. I think I have sorted out the cannons and can insert the barrels once the hull is done. I have some ready to paint to be placed on the open deck.
IMG_9466.jpeg

Back