HMS Victory, Mamoli 1:90 scale by Spider999

Started the build back in 2005 when my son was born, put about 90 hrs in then we had a secondchild 2009 so the boat went on hold. We moved house in 2013 and I moved my big shed with us and set it up as a proper Man cave (boatshed!!) said "right. I can start the boat again" to which the admiral said "not till you have done.... Attic, kids bedrooms, bathroom/toilet into 1 room, big BIG kitchen/diner extension on back of house.." Finally, about a year and a half ago I got them all finished, so off to the shed I went. Admiral said "what about the stairs hall and landing , and our bedroom"?? Not on your list, so they aint comin in!!! after 6 months and another 60 hrs work I put her back in dry dock and told the boss (Admiral) I would finish the 2 outstanding jobs. Just about finished the hall/stairs but the master bedroom can wait.. Here are a selection of pics showing my build so far. Apologies fir going back to day 1, but that is what a log is for isn't it.DSCN0689.JPGDSCN0691.JPGDSCN0692.JPGDSCN0693.JPGDSCN0694.JPGDSCN0695.JPGDSCN0696.JPGDSCN0697.JPGDSCN0699.JPGDSCN0700.JPGDSCN8656.JPGDSCN8658.JPGP1000948.JPGP1000949.JPGP1000950.JPGP1000951.JPGP1000952.JPGP1000953.JPGP1000955.JPGP1010441.JPGP1010442.JPGP1010443.JPGP1010444.JPGP1010533.JPGP1010537.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Spider, very nice work.
I have changed your pictures to full scale.
Just press the full scale button to do this before posting your message.

Hi Maarten, thanks for your reply. New to this, just put my pics on so you admin guys can work your magic. They dont look too bad full size do they?! Am following one of your members (YT) a lad from Canada, on the other site I am on, his work is truly inspirational. Hope mine comes anywhere close to his. Mind you, as an ex AB in the UK merchant navy, I am only really doing the boat to do the rigging... I make bell ropes and knot boards as well, put a couple of pics in with the boat of my work.

Interesting building log - I am looking forward to see more....

In removing a piece of the original wood from Victory they discovered the original colors it was painted. Now the ship has had its original color restored and the strongly colored ochre bands are gone. I have photos (from about a year ago) but don’t know how to send them to you. Or maybe you don’t intend to paint it (?). Mike

In removing a piece of the original wood from Victory they discovered the original colors it was painted. Now the ship has had its original color restored and the strongly colored ochre bands are gone. I have photos (from about a year ago) but don’t know how to send them to you. Or maybe you don’t intend to paint it (?). Mike
Cheers mate, I have hundreds of pics from a visit there in 2016, as well as a visit back in 2011. I bought a set of the paints from cornwall model boats when i bought the kit. I am going to paint one side and do the little green tiles, and the other I am going to plank all the way down from the waterline to the keel, and leave that side wooden.

P1010194.JPGIMG_0990.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the math.... seems like they gave me enough....... just barely.... have to be conservative.

Spider, same queston for YT.....How are the cannons going to go in on the upper enclosed decks? I'm working on same. But just now planking first deck....Maybe I need to read ahead.

I answered on YT's page mate, but here goes.. Read the rest of the instructions, all the lot then start on page 15.. No seriously, this is my first build and I am winging it. I will do the best I can with what skills I develop over time. My boat isn't going to be as pretty as the masterpiece YT is building (man he is inspiring, isn't he), but I only really bought it to do the rigging.. I was an Able Seaman in the UK Merchant Navy and am never happier than when I have a bit of string in my hands. I love making bell-ropes and knot boards, so cant wait to get started on the ropes on my build. Just need to figure out which one goes where... tying the knots should be a doddle, I just dont want to put the ropes in the wrong places. I have bought loads of books about the Victory and rigging old sailing ships, so lets see if I can do a reasonable job of it. I am 55 now and have been in the fire service for 30 years now, I have a maximum of another 12 years till state pension age, but cant see me staying in the job for that long. My boat is going to be a retirement project.. Should keep me sane/busy..

Last edited:
Maybe forget the carriages and build a small block attached to cannon at the proper heighth and sneak them through the gun port?

Are you going to tile the bottom or plank?
Hi Ken, I was originally going to put the little green tiles on one side and paint that side black/yellow, then just plank the other side all the way down to the keel, and wax the side rather than the colour scheme.
Now however I have bought some rolls of copper foil see this link: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/486-copper-imitation/
and am gonna put the green tiles on first, to get the pattern right and put the foil over the top of them, I think it looks awesome compared to the tiles, but is a little too thin to just put it below the waterline alone.

Regards

spider

Hi, spider,,,, i'm currently just started the tiling..... it's sloooow going. There is a certain pattern. There are supposedly TWO bands of plates running horizontally. Not just two rows. Two bands of several rows together...(make sense? kinda?) you just have to pick a point somewhere in the middle to start the second band. Look real close at YT's. I've done alot research on this and not a whole lot of info. Like everything else, it's all tapered, just like the planking. You have to think 3d. I'm doing all that can be done b4 I start the enclosed guns, as I will be adding those at the last possible moment b4 the upper deckings., I'm going to try the tiles and paint with testors model copper and see how that looks. If not, I will go the tape route. That stuff is very delicate and damages easily. I have some from when I was doing stained glass. Keep me posted

Ken

Look real close at the full page layout (A) toward the bow. You'll see those two bands. I think in the instructions (right in the middle) it says do 13 rows from the water line, then new band, as that is the actual count. At least that's how I understand it. If you come up with some thing different, let me know.
Thanks, ken

Back