HMS Winchelsea 1764, 32 gun Frigate 1:48, Syren Ship model by Trussben

A little bit of cleaning up around the lower counter and then the frieze was added, it fitted beautifully and then added the molding below it to cover the plank ends.

I also added the rest of the laser cut cove pieces and the outer figures.

32A1E4E3-299C-464E-A507-0336BE8BBBD0.jpeg

Gennaro - the models are resin indeed, I use a gel stain called “fruitwood” to get them to match my boxwood.

I actually did buy a set of CNC carved boxwood figures from Jack in China but I forgot all about them when I started building the model and only found them in a drawer a few weeks ago - I am actually looking to sell them now as a complete original set for the original price of $320 - see pictures below - they are just fantastic as you can see.
785A32FC-E229-4575-8A9F-632A30954A48.jpegDDDEA76E-8A6F-4E29-9C3E-D6B1F2894E50.jpeg

Chapter 4 begins with the installation of the 6 laser etched false deck pieces, care has to be taken to ensure that the center line is correctly lined up of course so that all the etchings match to give correct positions of the comings and mast partners, also a couple of more filler pieces were added at the bow where the hawse holes will be.6ABC7094-2FC7-4E18-A886-B849CFA52770.thumb.jpeg.ffc4b9c0916e9c044be853ae48a6a942.jpeg

Very nice work, Ben. The plans for this ship are available so it can be totally scratch-built. Requires cutting all those bulkheads and profile former LOL! No parts HAVE to be purchased commercially.

About the frame reveal…Model Expo’s “Confederacy” by the same designer has that feature.

Very nice work, Ben. The plans for this ship are available so it can be totally scratch-built. Requires cutting all those bulkheads and profile former LOL! No parts HAVE to be purchased commercially.

About the frame reveal…Model Expo’s “Confederacy” by the same designer has that feature.
Thanks, I’m aware.

Work on the bulwark planking underway - then I have to decide if I’m going to paint it and add the fancy laser cut panels for the main cabins or not. I’m not a great painter but I’m leaning towards it for this model and trying to improve that skill set too.

Ben
ACE3AC95-9899-40FC-A750-BE45909E2FE9.jpeg

If you want to try it, do it. you can always change it if you don't like it. I mean, you can replace the laser cut panels with wooden strips glued together. After that it's cutting / sawing out the shape and off you go.

If you never try and learn, where would you be today eh? :rolleyes::)

Just a questions about the gratings, are these supplied within the kit or did you order these seperately with Syren?

good luck, with the paintjob! ;)

Good morning Ben. I just been through your log. Thank you for posting this build of excellence. I've said it before but guys like you make us mere mortals not want to post anymoreROTF. Jokes aside, beautiful work and I particularly gain a lot from your lining and planking method. Cheers Grant

Back