HMS Winchelsea 1764, 32 gun Frigate 1:48, Syren Ship model by Trussben

Thanks for the comments and Likes.

Ken - I used a dab of white glue to secure the string on each bulkhead while using clamps to keep it taut, when I need to adjust and move them to get a better flow I just wet my finger and “roll” the string loose and move to where I need it.

Charles - can you elaborate what your question is?

Planked the sub decks, I had thought about making the false main deck beams from my own Swiss pear to match the other structural parts, but when I saw how beautifully that Syren laser cut parts fitted I decided to use them and stain to match the boxwood seeing as how those beams will almost be invisible.
2929B285-BAFF-488B-B8DB-3384DFC7476F.jpeg

Thanks for the comments and Likes.

Ken - I used a dab of white glue to secure the string on each bulkhead while using clamps to keep it taut, when I need to adjust and move them to get a better flow I just wet my finger and “roll” the string loose and move to where I need it.

Charles - can you elaborate what your question is?

Sorry.

It looked like you had a template for the planks glued to a piece of wood and cut them out from that. It's excellent work and precision like that is something I'm struggling with being new to this.

Thanks;

Charles

We are now caught up to where I am currently in this build, I am working at the moment on finishing off both QG’s and making and installing the fancy moldings and Friezes down both sides of the hull.
I hope you have enjoyed the journey so far and will continue to look in and see my progress from time to time but I must warn you, I’m a slow builder.

Ben

Ben, not enough superlatives to describe your QG’s -the symmetry, the columns, shingles, window framing and the overall execution is just so exquisite! Did you do anything to the drop before installing? (beside staining) or are they cast that perfectly? They have great detail ! What a great model you are producing!! I would really like to build this but I, like most other members here probably can’t have that opportunity due to being banned from MSW, don’t you have to be a member of MSW to access the plans to Winnie? I wonder if Syren would even sell the Winnie set/ parts to a banned from MSW person?

Ben, not enough superlatives to describe your QG’s -the symmetry, the columns, shingles, window framing and the overall execution is just so exquisite! Did you do anything to the drop before installing? (beside staining) or are they cast that perfectly? They have great detail ! What a great model you are producing!! I would really like to build this but I, like most other members here probably can’t have that opportunity due to being banned from MSW, don’t you have to be a member of MSW to access the plans to Winnie? I wonder if Syren would even sell the Winnie set/ parts to a banned from MSW person?
The cast drops just needed a slight touch to remove a little casting flash and also removing the ‘tab’ that is on the end of it but really not that much work was needed to get them to fit my hull.
I know a couple of builders of the Winnie have put the drops in hot water to make them a bit plyable so as to mold them even tighter to their hulls but I didn’t find that I needed to go there, all comes down to how close your build matches the prototype I guess.

Last edited:
Hello, Ben. It is obvious you are a skilled modeler and doing a very good job assembling this kit. What I am wondering about, is what is included in the kit as opposite you having to build from scratch or even modify parts? I understand that kit comes in packages. What comes in the first package except for the bulkheads? Does the package includes the planking material or do you have to mill or obtain milling planks on the side? Or it is a simple second package?

Oops, was typing my reply and didn’t see the suggestion to use PM, feel free to remove my post if needed….

Hello, Ben. It is obvious you are a skilled modeler and doing a very good job assembling this kit. What I am wondering about, is what is included in the kit as opposite you having to build from scratch or even modify parts? I understand that kit comes in packages. What comes in the first package except for the bulkheads? Does the package includes the planking material or do you have to mill or obtain milling planks on the side? Or it is a simple second package?
Hi

Yes, Planking “strips” must be milled or purchased by the builder in the material that they wish, this was not a problem for me as I have the tools to do this and a good stock of Boxwood and Holly.
Others that I have seen have either purchased billets of AYC from Syren and cut their own strips from those or there is now a wood supplier that will supply you a package of all the strips that you need in either AYC or Cherry for a reasonable price.

Other than the planking strips, everything else is supplied in the packages from Syren.

Other than the planking strips, everything else is supplied in the packages from Syren.
It would be really nice to see the content of each package. Does the kit include the planet by chance or only the instruction manual?

It would be really nice to see the content of each package. Does the kit include the planet by chance or only the instruction manual?
Hi

Please visit the Syren website, I think you can get all the answers you are looking for there, I am not affiliated with Syren model in any way - I’m just enjoying building a superb kit IMO.

Last edited:
There appears to be some “politics” starting to encroach into my build log, if you have issues about the kit or it’s manufacturer would you please kindly put those in the correct place in the kit review log or somewhere else.
I am just a modeler who is enjoying building a kit and will answer any questions about that build - but I’m NOT into the politics between SOS and MSW.

Ben

I suggest to everyone that try to keep politics away from build logs and in general .I f you have anything to discuss in that topic that should be in private conversations.

Jim, did you mean to say planet? What are you referring to? If you meant to say plans then no, the plans are only available if you are a member of MSW in good standing ;) , you know why I said that right? They are only available through download and you must join the Winchelsea group build on MSW.
I meant plans (drafts), Thank you for pointing them out, Lou.

Back