HMY Fubbs (1724)

The Capstan:
I made the base for the capstan from yellow heart after it was installed I think rosewood would have been a better chose. I turned the top in in a Proxxon lathe, it does an excellent job on small turnings. This set of photos show the assembly and installation of the capstan.IMG_4704.JPGIMG_4708.JPGIMG_4710.JPGIMG_4711.JPGIMG_4712.JPGIMG_4713.JPGIMG_4714.JPG

Thanks Dave, the capstan was fun to make, the windless is next.
Mike

This is a few photos of the windless. I used walnut for the barrel and yellow hart for the gears. After I drilled the holes in the barrow I ground a nail square and mortised the holes with it.
IMG_4715.JPGIMG_4716.JPGIMG_4717.JPGIMG_4718.JPGIMG_4719.JPGIMG_4723.JPGIMG_4724.JPGIMG_4725.JPGIMG_4726.JPGIMG_4727.JPG

I’ve scratch built 3 windlasses, using the “square nail” technique for the holes. Works great! Good job. She’s really coming along nicely!

Thanks Dave, I thought I was the only one who tried to put a square peg in a round hole lol.
Mike

Thanks Zoltan, I think she will be a keeper.
Mike

Very good progress - It is looking very good.
I guess that you will plank the deck of the quarter deck also only on one side or?

Hi Uwe,
Thanks, I will be using less planking on this deck, so the details on the lower deck will be more visible.
Mike

Quarterdeck Staircase:

The staircase from the main deck to the quarterdeck has an attractive design shown on the drawings. I used a wood burner to transfer the design to the wood panels and was going to paint it, but I liked the way the woodburning looked so I didn’t paint the panels.IMG_4763.JPGIMG_4764.JPGIMG_4765.JPGIMG_4766.JPGIMG_4769.JPGIMG_4770.JPG

Thanks Dave,
I am a very messy painter and avoid using paint when possible, I think woodburning looks better on a model.
Mike

Back