How long you work on your model(s) at one session

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

I have found that after about an Hour and a Half, I have to take a break, especially during the work week and that might be only one session. On the weekend, it might be two sessions of an Hour and a Half. I was wondering about others here. How long does one of your sessions last? Do you break it up, or do you continue for a lot longer period of time?

Poll !!

During the working week I can only have an hour for this in the evening. Sometimes I just do not even start as 1,5 h is not enough time to start anything to complete. Occasionally when I have a day off work I work on the hobby the whole day long forgetting to take a food break.

Overall average... 3 hours an evening around 4 evenings a week. I have a computer at the bench, which I will typically have a podcast, YT videos, or streaming radio going, so time tends to pass pretty quick once I sit down & get into a groove.

Merry Christmas!!!

per session aboutone hour. that can be more sessions a day.
but never hurry, a complete new year is waiting ahead of us.

Enjoy and have a fabultastic 2024!

My time varies like others have said, whether it’s a work day or not, what the weather is like and what the admiral is doing.
When I get a free day on a weekend I can do 8-10 hours usually 4 hour stretches then a quick break.
I also try and plan out what I will do to leave time for paint to dry or parts glued to set etc, trying to maximize every minute with activity and planning the next steps.
Great thread, thanks Donnie.

Hi Donnie. I normally spend about 1,5 to 2 hours right after dinner in the mini shipyard. During the weekend I try do do more sessions of about the same length of time depending on what is planned or what jobs are waiting in and around the house.

I'm semi retired & an early riser so I may be in the shop by 5:00 with a cup of coffee. I'll spend on average between 2 & 3 hours depending on what I'm doing. I may do a little more in the evening if I'm in the mood.

As a retired person, I have all day. Somtimes Cad-Cam work will cost 6 hours. Other times 1/2 hour on the model and walk away. If I have difficulty I'll walk away and think about another approach.

My work sessions depend on the amount of time I have between other projects. Some days it’s an hour or so, other days I might work in my shipyard three or four hours at a time.

Jan

Interesting range of times.
I could not help but read this one "I may be in the shop by 5:00 with a cup of coffee."

LOL ---
At that time in the morning, I would not even be able to find my shop!

Just kidding folks. No harm done. The admiral is a morning person too.

Last edited:
I could not help but read this one "I may be in the shop by 5:00 with a cup of coffee."

LOL ---

At that hour I couldn't find my a$$ with both hands if you handed me a map... I don't even get up that early for work. I am definitely a night owl, NOT an early bird.

LOL ---

I"m also an amateur photographer & when I'm doing bird photography during the spring migration I'll be out of the house by 4:30 A.M. heading to the local marsh. Like they say "the early bird gets the worm";) What it really comes down to for me is that early mornings are the best time of the day, especially when it gets light out so early like 4:30 A.M.

I"m also an amateur photographer & when I'm doing bird photography during the spring migration I'll be out of the house by 4:30 A.M. heading to the local marsh. Like they say "the early bird gets the worm";) What it really comes down to for me is that early mornings are the best time of the day, especially when it gets light out so early like 4:30 A.M.

OK, that's funny... fellow birder as well.

IMG_1414.JPG

Being retired lets me choose the hours I deem necessary for my hobbies. Sometimes ship building is slow - especially right now with it being the rigging portion of the build. Throw in learning 3D printing, photography (I too am a Nikon user), fly tying, and wood working - leads to busy life. Now, about that coffee.......

Hello, I sit in my trailer 1-2 times a week for 1-2 hours. But I also work step by step. For me, one workpiece has to be finished before I start the next one. It's very difficult for me to produce several workpieces at the same time because afterward I no longer know what belongs where.

Back