How long you work on your model(s) at one session

I think, as so many others have noted similarly, that the time spent varies based on both your level of interest at that point in the build, your personal life situation, and what stage of the build you're working on. That's the short version of my answer.

The long version:

Though I'm retired, I tend to do most of my model work in the evenings, and a couple of hours is pretty much average in that regard. I tend to work on a couple of builds concurrently, so while planking a larger kit (the Victory), I'll put a couple of planks on each side of the hull of that model, and then slide into work on a smaller kit (the Red Dragon). I fire up SiriusXM on my phone and hook up to a BT BOSE speaker for background music as I fumble away.

But if it's been a long day, or the stage of the build is challenging, my time may be lengthened or shortened based on my patience or tolerance that particular evening. That said, there are points in a build where I'll continue working longer just because I think its essential to complete a specific phase. For example, if I'm running shrouds, I'll spend the time required to ensure I've balanced the work on both sides of the ship to avoid any potential warping or inconsistency in alignment. Ditto if I'm at a point where I'm really fixated on a given task... and the hours pass without even noticing it.

So, yes, the time I'm putting in varies and is all over the map. The key (IMHO), is not to force yourself to do more than you enjoy, as that will just create frustration and anxiety. Which in turn results in you not wanting to return to the model as soon as you might otherwise. If you're tired, you tend to make mistakes. So just do what you feel comfortable with, and like gambling, know when to say it's enough for the day (or evening).
Hello, that's exactly how it is. It doesn't really matter how long you sit on your model, as long as you feel comfortable, don't stress yourself out and it's fun. Because the journey is the destination. I worked on my first kit (The Krappenkutter "Tön12") for almost 4 years. I know that some of us modelers will be working on a floor model for a long time and the Tön12 is a kit with a plastic hull. I sometimes left the kit behind for 1-2 months because I just didn't feel like tinkering. But that's ok, because it should be fun and you should only do crafts when you feel like it and not because you think you have to continue. So don't stress yourself.

I have found over my time in building model ships that if I can set up the model and leave it set up on the work bench I can vary the time I work on it. Targets of opportunity! So my shipyard bench is set up with my current build in place. For example, I can work on something for ten minutes…set the tweezers down, go off and do another chore, come back later and work for an hour. I can fuss a lot over the day this way. When I want to concentrate it is usually a two hour session. For me, the key is the model being set up on the bench with tools, pieces, parts lying around waiting for attention. When I am tying ratlines, for example, I can tie a few and walk away to return later to tie a few more…if one concentrates too long on ratline knots in one session it tends to drive one bat crazy! Just saying…
How much of that hour do you spend looking for the tweezers you'd just put down? ROTF

I have the luxury of being semi retired but still having a Vice Admiral who also works semi retired. We no longer make attempts to synchronise our shifts so...
On days when I am off and she's working I can get 2 x 2 hour shifts in. When we are both off its limited to 1 x 2 hour whilst I do supervised chores that I should have done whilst she was working !!
I also work on two boats at a time to alleviate the boredom (if any). Currently working on kit of HMS Fly and scratch build of Granado mid section.

Very much depends on what I am doing and can range from 10 minutes (I am lucky enough to have a workspace to leave my model out without the need to pack up at the end of a session) to hours. For longer stints I may jump around sub projects such as making tenders or canons to break up the monotony of tasks such as rigging or planking the hull.

An interesting compilation of thoughts..
I too am retired almost two years now, which is just wonderful and such a blessing. When we designed this house 20 years ago, I added a shop separated from the house but under the same roof. It's a good size at 590 square feet with a 10' ceiling-i was self employed at that time doing carpentry & remodeling. Now, it's insulated, finished drywalled and painted, climate controlled with running water.
I spend about 6 to 8 hours a day in there with breaks and a nap daily my breaks consist of making a breakfast for my wife ( younger than I and works from home)and then prepping for dinner. At the moment I'm trying to decide what to build after my A.L. swift, I need a confidence builder. I'm also finishing a 30" wingspan Mr. Milligan from Dumas and starting a 1/16 scale 1950's play barn for a friends grandson using scale structure. I like to have multiple projects going at the same time and flow between them as desire, waiting time between steps and energy dictate. Some days consist of reading up future projects or research on a current project, while enjoying coffee and sharing peanuts with always present and hungry but wonderful beagles..
FYI - I have fantastic wife and married way beyond my class, she's still very beautiful, smart and keeps us all in the lap of luxury. I know God has blessed me ...
Happy New Year!
Steve

Happy New Year All

I usually have 2 ships going at a time and jump between each of them depending on mood and what has to be done. Usually dont have fixed times on the builds just do them when in the mood to do so. I try and fit building time in when we are not traveling around the world on cruises. At the moment recovering from sickness and a few operations but getting there. Having been retired now for 8.5 years I am finding I have less time to build than when I was working but the builds are more enjoyable as not as stressed. I try and do most of my building in the cooler months as it gets way over 40 Deg C at times where I live so gets a bit hard to concentrate in the heat. But when I can I can spend up to 8 hrs with a short break just building and listening to music. A lot of the time not building is doing research amd trying to work out how to fix problems with the builds. Forums like this help considerably as you can see how others think outside the square to resolve issues. Hopefully later on I can do some more on MY Bounty and Berlin and update the build log

Cheers to 1 and all
Rob

Sometimes people will ask how much time I spent on a project (and there have been a variety of projects including model boats and ships). I respond by saying that I don't keep track of that and asking them if they keep track of the time they spend watching TV.

Reading the earlier posts, I'd say that I am well below the average work time. I am retired so I have no excuse for slacking off. I recall that before retirement, I thought that in retirement I would have a lot of time for a lot of activities. Now I find that at the end of the day I'm apt to say "I don't know what I did today, but it took me all day to do it." So, how long do I usually work on a model (or a bicycle or a decoy duck)?
  • Until I feel the need for a nap
  • Until I need to let some glue or paint dry
  • Until my wife calls me for a meal
Fair winds!

Back