New forum feature How to Export Your Thread to PDF file

I just now did a Windows update:
2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5033375)

I can now print in EDGE since I did the Win Update
However, now as Jim said (only using the "Print to Microsoft PDF") - at least it can do that on my PC now, even though I still will not be using MS EDGE. I just posted this for those who might want to try the latest Win Update!

Donnie, whew! You poured a lot of time and effort into this program trying to help all of us. Thanks for your patience, time and skill. We really appreciate it very much! Magic Mike

IMPORTANT INFO:
it remains that ONLY Microsoft EDGE is problematic. However, for those that still use EDGE, here is the most recent information I found to at least make the "Print to Microsoft PDF" Work:
Run the Windows Update and make sure your system dictates it will install this:
2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5033375)

We have these Browsers reported that function correctly with the Export Thread function:
Chrome
Safari
Brave
Firefox

Others can be listed above as time permits:
Opera has not been reported yet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Tutorial will explain how to EXPORT any thread you have into a PDF (Portable Document Format). Follow these steps in order as they appear. I will be using "zoly99ask" thread on the unboxing of the HMS Enterprise as an example of how to do this.

1) It is obvious to choose which thread you wish to export and ensure you are at your thread's FIRST (1) page. This shows the first page of the example thread below.

NOTE: the RED box points to a smaller box with three dots [. . .] and a small arrow pointing downward.

View attachment 411271

2) this is a closer view of the small box with the downward pointing arrow.

View attachment 411272

3) When you click on the small arrow, a DROPDOWN list will show "Export Thread". You will then click on the word "Export Thread".

View attachment 411273

4) After you click Export thread, the next BOX will appear. DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THIS BOX as it is already configured for the large threads. JUST click on SUBMIT ONLY.

View attachment 411274

5) After you click the SUBMIT button, NOW, your Exported File will be displayed WITHING SOS - it has NOT been completely exported yet - a few MORE steps are involved.

View attachment 411276

6) This step can be confusing because it is COUNTER intuitive, but just continue to follow instructions! USE YOUR BROWSER FOR THIS NEXT STEP. I am using FIREFOX Browser, you might have Windows Edge, Chrome, Safari and others, if you do, you MUST be able to find the MENU strip to find the "FILE" button and then the PRINT button. You can also just do the command CTRL + P to accomplish the same thing.

View attachment 411277

7) After you perform the print function, your computer will open the PRINT DIALOG BOX. Look at the DESTINATION --- IT WILL MOST likely be defaulted to your local printer in your house or home office, etc. You want to CHANGE the DESTINATION to [Save to PDF].

View attachment 411278

8) Then continue with [Save] on your print dialog box as shown here:

View attachment 411279

9) When you click save, then you should be viewing your FILE DIALOG BOX. You should see that the FILE NAME might be already populated with the words: "Export thread Ships of Scale". But you can rename it anything you wish for your organizing. ALSO, you MUST be sure you select WHERE you want your file to be saved. Some like me, I will set up a special folder on my computer to manage all my exports.

View attachment 411280

10) After saving, you need to locate where you put your file to make sure it saved correctly and open it. In the example below, you will see a Screen Shot of a portion of my Desktop that shows the ICON and file name.

View attachment 411281

11) Then finally when you open your file, this should be what you see that your ADOBE READER will open the file as ADOBE READER is the Default application or program that opens PDF files. If you have an advanced version or a paid version of ADOBE then you might be able to then convert that file to a WORD document. I personally do not have the advanced program.

View attachment 411282
Good afternoon, Donnie, Happy New Year with lots of health, Could you help me in solving the problem of downloading the Tutorials, I get to step 5 is I can't go on. I thank You for Your possible feedback.Frank

Hi Freinds,
Well, I am writing this quickly - is there anyone that can help Frank as I am back in my office today -

Hi Freinds,
Well, I am writing this quickly - is there anyone that can help Frank as I am back in my office today -
I'll give it a shot, but I'm using IOS/Safari. When you're using Windows/other browsers, it might be different.

@Frank48: After completing step 5 you will see a screen with how your exported file looks. You still have (at least in Safari) to tell the program you want to export it to a pdf-file. So mark you want to export the file as a pdf and hit finish ( RH top corner).

IMG_0046.png

Next you'll get a couple of options, select something like save as, select a file folder and hit save. That should do the trick.
Again, this works in IOS/Safari, Windows might be slightly different.
IMG_0047.pngIMG_0047.png

Good afternoon, Donnie, Happy New Year with lots of health, Could you help me in solving the problem of downloading the Tutorials, I get to step 5 is I can't go on. I thank You for Your possible feedback.Frank
Hi Fran, what is the issue, what error you are getting? How many pages the post you are trying to download?

Hi Fran, what is the issue, what error you are getting? How many pages the post you are trying to download?
Hi Jimsky, in step 5 I don't have anything left that I can nadad forward, my system is Windows 10 Pro , Thanks .Frank
I am trying to download Paul's tutorial about 84 pages

Hi Jimsky, in step 5 I don't have anything left that I can nadad forward, my system is Windows 10 Pro , Thanks .Frank
I am trying to download Paul's tutorial about 84 pages
The file just takes about 5 min to render (on my computer), it is 1300+ pages. I downloaded it to my PC, it is 146MB
Iff you give me a place to upload it, it will be too big for an email.

The file just takes about 5 min to render (on my computer), it is 1300+ pages. I downloaded it to my PC, it is 146MB
Iff you give me a place to upload it, it will be too big for an email.
With a Jumbo Email , it has the capacity of 2 Gb

I am looking for how I can turn the system around, Thank you for your dsponibility Frank
I will try again tomorrow, Good night
Good morning Paul and Jimsky, all is well , I solved the problem of saving the Tutorial with win11 on the other Pc ( I have 2 ), Thanks for your support.Frank

I just now did a Windows update:

I can now print in EDGE since I did the Win Update
However, now as Jim said (only using the "Print to Microsoft PDF") - at least it can do that on my PC now, even though I still will not be using MS EDGE. I just posted this for those who might want to try the latest Win Update!
A belated THANK YOU for your software - just downloaded Mystracing's log on the Black Pearl which I hope to start soon. Very clear instructions - took all of two minutes to compleat the operation.
Thanks again. Just hope i can do justice to the ship
JohnK

Back