Japanese temple: Byodoin Hououdo Foenix Hall (Kyoto) (Woody Joe)

Hello all,

The core of the central hall is ready now. All the woodwork, columns and beams are painted red and a bit green and glued on its place. Also the wooden floor around the building is installed.
IMG_7159.jpeg

IMG_7164.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

Then just a test how the Buddha would look fully lit in its new home.

IMG_7165.jpeg

Just beautiful!

The last job to do were the doors. Painting them red was the easy part, but painting all the golden hats of the nails and the hinges was something different. Finally I used a toothpick and that worked well! Only a little touching up with some red did the job.

IMG_7173.jpeg

IMG_7188.jpeg

Good enough and this is the result:

IMG_7194.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

And this is how the whole complex looks at this stage of the build

IMG_7198.jpeg

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello all,

Today we worked to build the columns that support the lower roof around the central hall. The proces is familiar by now so the work goes easy.

IMG_7203.jpeg

IMG_7204.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

The columns are not in the proper position yet, but that will be corrected when they are glued to the floor. Also some painting work still needs to be done, but that is not a big job.

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello all,

Today I made the frame for the low roof of the Central Hall. It requires some accurate assembly work, but the lasered parts are so accurate that there are no real problems. Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_7211.jpeg

IMG_7212.jpeg

IMG_7216.jpeg

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Dear all,

I really had to do a little break in building the temple. I was looking up to glueing a lot of white strips in the roofpanels and I needed a pause. But now I am back on track again.

IMG_7509.jpeg

IMG_7446.jpeg

These were almost 500 strips, so that's why.

Finally I got the low roof ready and it really looked great.

IMG_7544.jpeg

Now the roof above the doors had to be made. There were quite a lot of parts which also had to follow the curves of all the other roofs.

IMG_7611.jpeg

Together with the balcony they really finished the lower roof perfectly. The image from a low standpoint was quite like the original.

IMG_7616.jpeg

IMG_7636.jpeg

IMG_7635.jpeg

In the meantime I have also started with the construction of the roof. A number of small parts had to be glued together to form the support.

IMG_7600.jpeg

IMG_7606.jpeg

to be continued...

Gijsbert

Hello all,

Again some progress to report. First of all I had to fix some steps that I just missed during the build. The first one were some missing beams on the central core. Luckily they were easy to add.

IMG_7662.jpeg

IMG_7711.jpeg

The other one was something missing in the corners of the lower roof. I had to cut a small channel to put it in place, but now it looks good.

IMG_7702.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

Then I could work further on the support construction of the roof. It is quite a complicated construction to direct the forces of the heavy roof to the core of the central building and to have it withstand the ages, cyclones and earthquakes.

First the base (upside down).

IMG_7624.jpeg

Then a lot of small wooden parts that carry the second supporting construction (still upside down)

IMG_7638.jpeg

IMG_7654.jpeg

and dry-fitted on its place.

IMG_7656.jpeg

Finally the whole construction painted and this dazzling construction just looks so impressive...

IMG_7675.jpeg

Then it is time to build the roof

IMG_7683.jpeg

... and when it is on its place, I have reached the highest point of the building. It is a Dutch tradition to fix a tree, called the "meiboom" on top for luck and the building team gets free beer (pannenbier) to celebrate the succes of the build.

IMG_7667.jpeg

Then it was time to get on with the construction. and I placed the support beams for the roof with the white stripe.

IMG_7712.jpeg

and again leading to the preparation of the two rows of the lower roof panels with the white strips and yellow ends. A job that I am really starting to hate... but these are (almost) the last ones luckily, hahaha

IMG_7707.jpeg

to be continued...
Gijsbert

And.... how the tree tradition ends ?

I had the opportunity to be in Amsterdam a couple of times and saw some country homes on my trip and I don't remember seen a tree at the top of their roof :)

AMAZING JOB !!!! I am speechless.

Cheers
Daniel

Ok.... I love to learn about traditions, so here is a nice story and a picture of a "Meiboom"

Screenshot_20210206-080046_Chrome.jpg

Loved it....

Daniel

Nice Daniel!
It's a tradition mostly in the South and East of the Netherlands, but also done in the rest of the country. The tree suggests that the building will be as strong as a tree and it will remain on the roof or next to the house until the owner or contractor has given a party. The drink is called "pannenbier" (rooftile-beer). If he doesn't do it and there is nothing to drink, they replace the tree with a broom, haha.

Nice Daniel!
It's a tradition mostly in the South and East of the Netherlands, but also done in the rest of the country. The tree suggests that the building will be as strong as a tree and it will remain on the roof or next to the house until the owner or contractor has given a party. The drink is called "pannenbier" (rooftile-beer). If he doesn't do it and there is nothing to drink, they replace the tree with a broom, haha.
Very nice, in Germany we have the same tradition, we call it Richtfest

My father was a building supervisor for government buildings (Rijksgebouwen), so he always brought a treat for us at home when a building that he was supervising reached its highest point. That's why I have good memories on this tradition.

Hi Gijsbert, your building is absolutely overwhelming, a real beauty.
Thanks Pianoforte!
I also keep looking in awe to how it develops. I really admire Woody Joe for designing the kit. If you study pictures of the real temple, you discover how close they get in reproducing the temple and how they allow you to add all the details.

Hello all,

Again some progress to report. First of all I had to fix some steps that I just missed during the build. The first one were some missing beams on the central core. Luckily they were easy to add.

View attachment 211206

View attachment 211214

The other one was something missing in the corners of the lower roof. I had to cut a small channel to put it in place, but now it looks good.

View attachment 211210

View attachment 211211

View attachment 211212

Then I could work further on the support construction of the roof. It is quite a complicated construction to direct the forces of the heavy roof to the core of the central building and to have it withstand the ages, cyclones and earthquakes.

First the base (upside down).

View attachment 211202

Then a lot of small wooden parts that carry the second supporting construction (still upside down)

View attachment 211203

View attachment 211204

and dry-fitted on its place.

View attachment 211205

Finally the whole construction painted and this dazzling construction just looks so impressive...

View attachment 211207

Then it is time to build the roof

View attachment 211208

... and when it is on its place, I have reached the highest point of the building. It is a Dutch tradition to fix a tree, called the "meiboom" on top for luck and the building team gets free beer (pannenbier) to celebrate the succes of the build.

View attachment 211216

Then it was time to get on with the construction. and I placed the support beams for the roof with the white stripe.

View attachment 211215

and again leading to the preparation of the two rows of the lower roof panels with the white strips and yellow ends. A job that I am really starting to hate... but these are (almost) the last ones luckily, hahaha

View attachment 211213

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Thanks @Gijsbert for your very inspiring build. Am just recently getting caught up with your masterpiece and I must say it never ceases to amaze me with its level of detail and your craftsmanship. Kudos to you as well as the kit designer.

Nice Daniel!
In Denmark we uses a pole with a flag and 3 wreaths.
If the building owner is stingy and and don't give a modest party with beers and sausages, the building workers may replace the flag with a cement bag so that everybody can see the owner is a hogg. The cement bag will of course eventually be taken down but the workers may also hide a beer bottle in a wall somewhere with just the opening free so that it howls loudly in the wind for the next hundred years or so.
rejsegilde.jpg

Dear all,

Quite some progress to report. The last posting was about me facing the challenge of gluing a few hundreds of white strips on the red panels. It took some time, but I finally came to the end of this job and the two rows could be glued in place.

IMG_7807.jpeg

IMG_7821.jpeg

IMG_7824.jpeg

That part of the job done, I could start with the roof covering. The panels on the sides of the roof were quite easy to cut and fix in place.

IMG_7814.jpeg

The next job was to assemble the beams that supported the overhanging parts of the front and back roof.

IMG_7810.jpeg

IMG_7811.jpeg

With them in place some little roof supports parts, again red with the last white stripes, had to be prepared.

IMG_7929 2.jpeg

Finally the roof covering could be placed. That was not so easy. The panels were easily bended along the cross direction, but the wood was very tough in the length direction. So I had to soak them in water for a night and even then, it took quite some pressure to keep them stuck to the frame and to dry properly in the right shape.

IMG_7931.jpeg

After a night they were glued and the triangular panels in the corners could be cut and glued in place.

IMG_7944.jpeg

After all the panels dried properly, I could paint the entire roof grey and admire the majestic shape of the temple, almost finished.

IMG_7953.jpeg

I really thought whether the last support panels with the white stripes were actually visible, but, yes, they are and I am glad I made them the same as I did with all the other hundreds of strips.

IMG_7959.jpeg

The temple as now very near its completion. Only some beams on the roofs and the golden statues of the Phoenix-birds on top are still to be done.
After that it is time to finish the Buddha with its base and the area around the temple with the lantern. The finish is in sight!

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Back