Judea de Bitumen - Is anyone familiar with this wash?

I didn't buy the paint pack for the Occre Buccaneer so I don't have this aging wash for my next step. Is anyone familiar with this product? Can I buy something similar at a hobby store? Or can I make my own somehow?

I didn't buy the paint pack for the Occre Buccaneer so I don't have this aging wash for my next step. Is anyone familiar with this product? Can I buy something similar at a hobby store? Or can I make my own somehow?
@Maarten used such a bitumen on his Alert model on several locations (planking, blocks, ropes etc.

Maybe best is to go through his log where he is describing it several times

Hi Toni,

You can't purchase Bitumen of Judea in its pure form here in the US. It probably caused cancer in a lab rat exposed to radiation during testing in the 50's so Uncle Sam wants to protect you. But you can find something similar (now with additives):

It can be cut in strength using turpentine or white spirits... (no open flames pleaseExplosion).

@Maarten used such a bitumen on his Alert model on several locations (planking, blocks, ropes etc.

Maybe best is to go through his log where he is describing it several times

Thank you. I'll do that.

Hi Toni,

You can't purchase Bitumen of Judea in its pure form here in the US. It probably caused cancer in a lab rat exposed to radiation during testing in the 50's so Uncle Sam wants to protect you. But you can find something similar (now with additives):

It can be cut in strength using turpentine or white spirits... (no open flames pleaseExplosion).

haha...your post had me chuckling. :)

Thank you for this information, Paul. Have you used the Penart Patina yourself? If you have, what sort of color does it add? For the crackle effect, I have this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/FolkArt-Medi...q9_BL3SNjPqQngZ1TnytPIBc8ihoCOaoQAvD_BwE&th=1

Not sure what sort of difference there would be between the two.

Thanks again.

As you are from CA (where EVERYTHING is known to cause cancer) I hoped you might find my post amusing ROTF.

I have only used it to tint ropes. It smells like petroleum and that's what B of J is...

Pentart has another product for crackling so I suspect they are different.

As you are from CA (where EVERYTHING is known to cause cancer) I hoped you might find my post amusing ROTF.

I have only used it to tint ropes. It smells like petroleum and that's what B of J is...

Pentart has another product for crackling so I suspect they are different.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the real thing because now my curiosity has been peaked. At least I think it's the real thing -- https://modelexpo-online.com/1-Oz-Judea-Bitumen_p_8219.html

I'll keep it a secret from my acquaintances, because, as you say, being here in CA...well, I might get sued for possessing a 'controlled substance'.

Thanks for your help. I'll update this thread once I've had some experience with this stuff.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the real thing because now my curiosity has been peaked. At least I think it's the real thing -- https://modelexpo-online.com/1-Oz-Judea-Bitumen_p_8219.html

I'll keep it a secret from my acquaintances, because, as you say, being here in CA...well, I might get sued for possessing a 'controlled substance'.

Thanks for your help. I'll update this thread once I've had some experience with this stuff.
I suspect that is not the real thing - but a sincere attempt to give you something that will be useful as a wash. Enjoy!

Hi Toni,

We here in the EU can just buy Judea Bitumen at every art store. It is also used by furniture makers.

Se an example below of a wash of judea bitumen mixed with turpentine on a boxwood carved cabinet made for my Royal Caroline.

Before bitumen
20230531_210439.jpg

After bitumen
20230601_211210.jpg

It enriches the colour and brings out the carvings.

This is what I use.
11734282-betume-judaico-500x500.jpg

Thank you, Maarten. That is very helpful! That gives me a really good idea as to what I'll be working with. Hopefully the Judea Bitumen that I ordered will look similar to your Betun de Judea. Excellent. I appreciate your post & photos. Do you have a build log of your Royal Caroline? I'd love to see it.

I have just used Black Jack Bitumen paint over the years to antique timber.
I mix it with mineral turpentine or thinners to the required depth of colour.
Also works great if you lightly seal the job first before applying the bitumen.
Finish with 0000 steel wool and a soft wax.

Last edited:
Thank you, Maarten. That is very helpful! That gives me a really good idea as to what I'll be working with. Hopefully the Judea Bitumen that I ordered will look similar to your Betun de Judea. Excellent. I appreciate your post & photos. Do you have a build log of your Royal Caroline? I'd love to see it.
Hi Tony,

For sure, see below.

I have just used Black Jack Bitumen paint over the years to antique timber.
I mix it with mineral turns or thinners to the required depth of colour.
Also works great if you lightly seal the job first before applying the bitumen.
Finish with 0000 steel wool and a soft wax.

Looks like that's a UK product. I like the sound of finishing w/ steel wool and wax. I'll probably give that a try. Thanks!

A totally different approach is to search rail road sites for weathering powders, although some ship modeling sites might also list them. Weathering powders are applied over finished parts to “weather” the appearance. It does take some practice to get it right but weathering powders have been a go to staple in model railroading for years. We tend not to “weather” our ship models as a rule but if one would ever want to do it the go to are the weathering powder kits.

A totally different approach is to search rail road sites for weathering powders, although some ship modeling sites might also list them. Weathering powders are applied over finished parts to “weather” the appearance. It does take some practice to get it right but weathering powders have been a go to staple in model railroading for years. We tend not to “weather” our ship models as a rule but if one would ever want to do it the go to are the weathering powder kits.

I'll definitely keep the weathering powders in mind. Thanks for that info.

I had no idea that you all don't weather your ship models. Super thanks for that info! I thought maybe there might be a whole subcategory of people that weather their ships but I guess not. I'm just attempting to follow Occre's instructions w/ the Bitumen because I didn't buy their colorpack that goes with the kit.

I'm learning so much on this forum. And finding a surprise around every turn.

I appreciate your input, Daniel.

Hi Toni,

Michele Padoan from Italy is using Bitumen to weather or alter his models. But he is the only modeler I know who is doing it.

Here his build report:

Hi Toni,

Michele Padoan from Italy is using Bitumen to weather or alter his models. But he is the only modeler I know who is doing it.

Here his build report:

Oh, wow. His ship is beyond beautiful. It's absolutely jaw dropping. Thank you for that link. Wow!!

Back