King of Mississippi riverboat - Artesania Latina 1/80 Scale

20200924_115902.jpg

Here, on the fifth day, is the state of my new boat. Today I will finish glueing the starboard bulkhead and glue on the port bulkhead. I am using Elmer's white glue and sometimes a spot of cyano to hold the pieces in place. I never did that while building airplanes, because all materials were so light weight that white glue was not necessary. I will use strong rubber bands to hold bulkhead to false bottom, because the shape of the bow makes clamping difficult.
I find that sanding is necessary on the ends of the frames and the point of the bow. Have ordered some new files to make sanding easier. I think this model will be interesting for several months, although I may have to digress sometime to an aviation project.

I am waiting for delivery of wood filler and contact adhesive. Meanwhile, am cutting 10 cm pieces of white wood for deck of planking of 1st deck. I have try-fitted the sternpost and the keel, and find that sternpost is not a good fit with the hull as it is. What can I do?

Attachments

• 20200929_154844.jpg
    20200929_154844.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 4
You have to shape keel a little and round the bow a little bit until it fits. That's one of the interesting things about this ship. Houses don't line up with the cutouts on both decks either, so check fit before decking and adjust the best you can.

Thanks, I'll try to arrange a fit for the sternpost. I notice also that the instructions for photos 9 and 10 say "with chamfer facing up." I see no chamfer on any of the 4 x 5 x 500 mm pieces in the kit stock. Shall I add the chamfer?

View attachment 181312

Here, on the fifth day, is the state of my new boat. Today I will finish glueing the starboard bulkhead and glue on the port bulkhead. I am using Elmer's white glue and sometimes a spot of cyano to hold the pieces in place. I never did that while building airplanes, because all materials were so light weight that white glue was not necessary. I will use strong rubber bands to hold bulkhead to false bottom, because the shape of the bow makes clamping difficult.
I find that sanding is necessary on the ends of the frames and the point of the bow. Have ordered some new files to make sanding easier. I think this model will be interesting for several months, although I may have to digress sometime to an aviation project.
Hallo @Bob Parker
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back