Kit-Bashing the King of the Mississippi Riverboat (7/21/20)

I am talking about these things. See these pix. They are yours. I drew the circles and arrows to show the guides, (Pins and Holes) My kit doesn't have these guides. I have to guess where things have to go. I have to slide pieces around until they look right then after gluing I prey I guessed right. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that I have a very old version before it was 'updated'. The rubberbands that held the smaller parts together were all brittle and broken.

View attachment 167390

View attachment 167391
Ah... I understand now. Well the only section that you are building like AL designed will be the hull. All the rest will be totally different. Nevertheless, as I have your vintage version of the kit plus the modern version do not hesitate in requesting me to take a look to the new instructions manual with pictures if needed. I will be very happy to help.

Moreover, you are helping me with your log. I need to finish my King of Mississippi as it was designed, and I have the extra vintage kit for parts I could have lost during the last 20+ years of traveling. You have given to me a very nice idea of what to do with this extra kit. I love the picture of the boat you posted that you will built. I will follow your steps so I can do the same or similar in the future.

Best !!!
Daniel

Will this be an effect of my aging process :-( .

I went back to you first postings to take a look to the pictures of the boats. Then I realized that the box you got from eBay it is the NEW version from AL.

The old one I am building (pictured finished hull in previous posting ) and I have an extra kit is this one :

Screenshot_20200726-085913_eBay.jpg

If you zoom it you will see all the deck differences between this OLD kit and your newer version.

Moreover you will understand why I did the deck floor so fancy. The new version does not have that floor.

The funny part (or not) was that I though all the time you got this very first version of this model.

Well cheers and I do not bother you more. I will follow this thread so I learn from you as you build what you have in mind.

Have an excellent weekend
Daniel

Hello Rick,
Looks like a beautiful and interesting model, the beginning looks promising, lots of success. I will continue to follow

HI I did the new version about 4 years ago. The build was on another site, which was NUKED by moderators when I became a 'revoked entity'

The hull is the same, the layout is the same. The deck uses plain std decking ( also used for wall paneling cover.)
If you finish the kit as suggested then you will have VERY little wood left. They do not over provide. The hull veneering was barely enough, not allowing for mistakes.

Its a very easy kit to build and the hardest parts are the Hull and the Dreaded winding staircase.

It does build into a very nice kit.

HI I did the new version about 4 years ago. The build was on another site, which was NUKED by moderators when I became a 'revoked entity'

The hull is the same, the layout is the same. The deck uses plain std decking ( also used for wall paneling cover.)
If you finish the kit as suggested then you will have VERY little wood left. They do not over provide. The hull veneering was barely enough, not allowing for mistakes.

Its a very easy kit to build and the hardest parts are the Hull and the Dreaded winding staircase.

It does build into a very nice kit.
Thanks Paul but I won't be building the King so those staircases won't be an issue. I'll just build a ladder type. I should have plenty of wood left when I'm done with the kit-bash.

Hello Rick,
What I read in your log from different members, there comes a lot of Mississippi peddle-steamers the next time. It will be busy on the viraal rivier!
Regards, Peter
Actually, there aren't all that many KingsotM being shared with everybody. I'd love to see a few paddle-wheeled river boat building logs around here, myself.

I've been lolly gagging and found that my plastic box with all the little stuff in it has been dropped and broke. All my paddle wheels are broken beyond repair. :(

Are they good enough to make Master for epoxy mold?

If so only one good one needed for master.

Then use mold to make what you need

Kurt

Are they good enough to make Master for epoxy mold?

If so only one good one needed for master.

Then use mold to make what you need

Kurt
That I've never done before but there are no wheels that aren't broken although, one wheel could theoretically be use as a master. Once molded I'd need to fix one leg end.

I'm now considering bashing this model into a derelict riverboat. I've always been pretty good at making stuff look mighty old and banged up. Hmmm...

This is what you need? I can see about making some!View attachment 171366View attachment 171367
That's close enough as far as I'm concerned.
If you feel like it then go ahead. Let me know your cost and I'll gladly reimburse you.
I saw all the parts on ebay of everything in that plastic box. He wants $50 for it. That's a little steep I think but it is everything.

Last edited:
Back