Kolderstok. Fluyt in oak

A Flute Ship in Oak.

For a long time I had planned to build a flute. A flute was the most common type of ship for freighters in the 17th century. They mainly sailed on the Baltic Sea with the "moedernegotie". Many were also equipped as wood grinders because shipbuilding was booming in the Zaan region at that time. A lot of sawmills were built there at that time which allowed logs to be cut into planks much faster.
The flute I wanted to build was to be a wood-carrier.

full

Photo: Wood-carriers

Since I didn't know a kit of it, it had to be scratch built. But given the shapes, that was going to be a challenge. And then Kolderstok came up with a kit. See:https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/17th-century-fluytschip-kolderstok.9394/
At the meeting in Duizel I told Hans van Nieuwkoop that I was planning to build a flute as wood-carrier. A little later I got an email from him asking if I was willing to build a Kolderstok flute in oak. Because Hans also wanted to optionally release the flute in oak. But first he had to build one on test. I was willing to do that for him. So Hans went to work hard to have all parts made in oak. And the result of that I have now received and can get to work.
Some pictures of the package.

full

Photo: Package contents.

full

Photo: Some of the different woods present.

full

Photo: trusses in thick oak

full

Photo: Printed figures

full

Photo: Oak planks for the skin. In the normal package, these are basswood.

Hans had no problem with me making it a model to my liking. That's convenient because I'm a bit "allergic" to enclosed spaces. Or rather if something is built completely closed I want to know what is inside. And as I saw in the report of that other Hans, that flute has an internal hold without bulkheads, but there is nothing left of that. So that's not possible. So my flute will be opened up somewhat.
The flute has been developed as a wood-carrier version and I want to explicitly reflect that. That is, there will be some hatches in the side, as shown in photo 1, through which wood (planks/beams) will be loaded. And large logs will be loaded from the transom. So there will also be two additional hatches there. (I think) And further logs are in the hold. So the hold must remain visible. To that end, I think I will leave out a piece of ship's wall on the other side than the loading hatches. And to be able to see some inside, I'm thinking of some yellow LEDs as oil lamps. I am still considering if I will also make the cabin visible and thus provide it with some furniture and lighting. Then I will have to make a hatch somewhere in the stern. So I have plenty of ideas but let's get started first.

To be continued.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last edited:
It is wonderful to see you building the Fluyt Jan, and even better that you are building the @Kolderstok Fluyt and in oak. I have built the Willem Barentsz in oak and I love the effect of it. I am very keen to hear what you think of working with the oak - I found it to be quite a challenge at times.

Es maravilloso verte construir el Fluyt Jan, y aún mejor que estés construyendo el @Kolderstok Fluyt y en roble. He construido el Willem Barentsz en roble y me encanta su efecto. Estoy muy interesado en escuchar lo que piensas sobre trabajar con el roble; a veces me pareció un gran desafío.
Me parece muy buena idea ya que las maderas que normalmente vienen, son muy frágiles.

@Viejon Oak is indeed a bit sturdier but the slats are lasered into shape. so many ends contain a slight bend so the grain is no longer in line with the slat. If you have to bend that strongly, it is also very vulnerable to splitting.

A Flute Ship in Oak.

For a long time I had planned to build a flute. A flute was the most common type of ship for freighters in the 17th century. They mainly sailed on the Baltic Sea with the "moedernegotie". Many were also equipped as wood grinders because shipbuilding was booming in the Zaan region at that time. A lot of sawmills were built there at that time which allowed logs to be cut into planks much faster.
The flute I wanted to build was to be a wood-carrier.

01-01-TekeningHouthaler.jpg

Photo: Wood-carriers

Since I didn't know a kit of it, it had to be scratch built. But given the shapes, that was going to be a challenge. And then Kolderstok came up with a kit. See:https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/17th-century-fluytschip-kolderstok.9394/
At the meeting in Duizel I told Hans van Nieuwkoop that I was planning to build a flute as wood-carrier. A little later I got an email from him asking if I was willing to build a Kolderstok flute in oak. Because Hans also wanted to optionally release the flute in oak. But first he had to build one on test. I was willing to do that for him. So Hans went to work hard to have all parts made in oak. And the result of that I have now received and can get to work.
Some pictures of the package.

01-02-InhoudDoos.jpg

Photo: Package contents.

01-03-Houtsoorten.jpg

Photo: Some of the different woods present.

01-04-Spantjes.jpg

Photo: trusses in thick oak

01-05-GeprinteFiguurtjes.jpg

Photo: Printed figures

01-06-EikenPlanken.jpg

Photo: Oak planks for the skin. In the normal package, these are basswood.

Hans had no problem with me making it a model to my liking. That's convenient because I'm a bit "allergic" to enclosed spaces. Or rather if something is built completely closed I want to know what is inside. And as I saw in the report of that other Hans, that flute has an internal hold without bulkheads, but there is nothing left of that. So that's not possible. So my flute will be opened up somewhat.
The flute has been developed as a wood-carrier version and I want to explicitly reflect that. That is, there will be some hatches in the side, as shown in photo 1, through which wood (planks/beams) will be loaded. And large logs will be loaded from the transom. So there will also be two additional hatches there. (I think) And further logs are in the hold. So the hold must remain visible. To that end, I think I will leave out a piece of ship's wall on the other side than the loading hatches. And to be able to see some inside, I'm thinking of some yellow LEDs as oil lamps. I am still considering if I will also make the cabin visible and thus provide it with some furniture and lighting. Then I will have to make a hatch somewhere in the stern. So I have plenty of ideas but let's get started first.

To be continued.
Hi Jan. Nice to see you started here a build-log of the build of the beautiful shaped Fluyt in Oak.
My chair is set!
Regards, Peter

Good luck Jan. I follow you on both fora. This will be a very nice ship once completed and played a crucial role for the Dutch Replubic.

Update 1
The first steps have been taken. This has also been described by Hans van Nieuwkoop at Ships of Scale in https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/17th-century-fluytschip-kolderstok.9394/
and by Hans Groenenberg at https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/het-fluitschip-uit-de-gouden-eeuw-hans-groenenberg.278397/
Therefore, I will not describe it in great detail. You can also check it out there. If my report is going to deviate from that I will give you more details and the reason for the deviation.
The templates for the trusses were set in the base plate and the trusses were put on. Secured with tape as they must not stick to the mould as it will have to come off later.

full

The first truss is not fixed.

full

If you want to change something about the standard building plan, you have to look far ahead often.
Since I want to make the hold visible somehow, I also want it to look correct.
At the location of truss 1, there is no such truss in real life. But there are turning trusses there.

full

This drawing is from Mondfelt-Historical Ship Models.
I do have to use the truss from the kit to get the correct rounding of the hull planks. But after that, it will go out and turning trusses will be put in. But that's for later.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Good planning ahead, Jan. I understand completely the "thinking ahead" process - it is very important if the model is not built according to the standard specifications. I see that the false keel also requires a rabbet to be cut for the zandstrook (garboard strake) to be fitted.

Update 1
The first steps have been taken. This has also been described by Hans van Nieuwkoop at Ships of Scale in https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/17th-century-fluytschip-kolderstok.9394/
and by Hans Groenenberg at https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/het-fluitschip-uit-de-gouden-eeuw-hans-groenenberg.278397/

Therefore, I will not describe it in great detail. You can also check it out there. If my report is going to deviate from that I will give you more details and the reason for the deviation.

The templates for the trusses were set in the base plate and the trusses were put on. Secured with tape as they must not stick to the mould as it will have to come off later.

01-1-Spanten.jpg

The first truss is not fixed.

01-2-EersteSpant.jpg

If you want to change something about the standard building plan, you have to look far ahead often.
Since I want to make the hold visible somehow, I also want it to look correct.
At the location of truss 1, there is no such truss in real life. But there are turning trusses there.

01-3-Draaispanten.jpg

This drawing is from Mondfelt-Historical Ship Models.
I do have to use the truss from the kit to get the correct rounding of the hull planks. But after that, it will go out and turning trusses will be put in. But that's for later.

To be continued.

Good morning Jan. I will most certainly pull up a chair and follow this build. I am a huge fan of @Heinrich oak WB so this is exciting. Cheers Grant

Update 2
And now real progress has been made.

full

Here you can see the prow with the first two strips on both sides. The bulkheads have also been beveled a bit.

full

And here is the stern where the first two strips have been turned 90º. When I first tried this out dry, the batten split a bit along the grain. It runs a bit perpendicular to the batten here. I glued that gap closed with wood glue and later twisted it after wetting it and using an electric batten bender. That then went flawlessly as did the next strips. Here, too, the bulkheads are slightly bevelled.

And this is how the whole thing looks now.
full

To be continued.

Last edited:
Update 3
Yes now comes the hard stuff. The first three battens on either side still went reasonably smoothly. On the fourth, a little less so.

full

This batten has a slightly rounded bend at the end, (not visible here) so the grain runs diagonally across the batten, and is therefore very vulnerable.
Oak battens when dry are hard. However, if you wet them well (A few hours) they become remarkably supple and you can bend them reasonably. But not in the strong bend you need. With a hot plank bender, you can get the bend in well and also twisted. But that heating also dries the batten and hardens it again. If you then try to press the batten into place, it will break, as here.
Solution: You have to shape the batten as well as possible (with a plank bender), then wet it again (=flexible) and then press it into place and fasten it, and let it keep its shape. Then the shape will stay there. Then glue. With basswood, all that doesn't need to be so elaborate, but with oak so apparently it does.

full

The other side went well but then I noticed a big gap between the third and fourth batten. Now I remembered this problem with Hans too, and he solved it by putting a vise on it to better clamp the end of the battens against the stem.

full

So I did that too after moistening for a while, making the wood supple and bendable again. With a batten in between to prevent damage. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the other side. There is a kink there now.

full

Now on the other side, with a kink in truss three, see to fitting the broken batten. I first made a shim to support the small point slightly. Here of oak but balsa would have been a lot easier.

full

Here's the fourth and the start of the fifth batten on it. A tip is also broken from the fifth one. It is difficult to apply an entire 40 cm batten in one go. In real life, that's 25 m. In the Roman Rhine Vessel, I have built, planks 25 m long were used, but 1500 years later they are no longer to be found. During the construction of the model of the Kamper kogge, Which I build also, it became clear to me that applying an entire batten in one go is actually not a doable task and did not happen in real life.
Therefore, I divided the second fifth strakes into two by applying a joint.

full

Here is the first half from the stern on. That side is the most crucial for connection. On the bow side, there is some room for adjustment. Even better would be to apply in threes. Then you can connect the bow and stern neatly to the stem and fit the third piece between them appropriately.
Maybe I'll try that on the next batten.

And here is the current state of affairs.

Photos of bow, stem and overall.

full

full

full

I have also given some thought to possible adjustments. See below a list of what I am thinking of.
For determining these modifications, one of the things I am following is Maarten's report on ShipsOfScale. There he builds a flute from scratch but strongly based on the wreck of "The Swan" found in the Baltic Sea. See: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...econstructing-the-ghost-ship-scale-1-36.9685/
The Kolderstok kit includes ornaments based on this wreck. My model will therefore also be called "De Zwaan".

Modifications to the hold
- Attaching turning frames and other frames
- Attaching spars with mast tracks
- Attaching inner "wegering" and denning
- Adding access to the hold with stairs or ladders
- Installation of lighting using LEDs as oil lamps. Including wiring throughout the ship.
- Attaching hooks/eyes for suspending hoists.
- Attaching cargo (Posts, beams, barrels)

On the ship's side
- Port side openings for inserting planks/beams
- Stern openings for inserting poles/beams
- Starboard openings for making hold visible. Dismountable
- Starboard openings for making cabin and rudder controls visible. Dismountable

On cabin.
- Furniture, wardrobe, chairs, chest.
- Lighting
- Fitting ceiling.
- Access door from rudder control room
- Mirror windows.

On the orlopdeck

- Extend structures from deck above to this deck (Pumps, betings, etc.)

- Hammocks ??

- Cargo ??

- Cables ??

- Hatches to the hold ??

When building it becomes clear what can be realised.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Back