Krick “Alert” U.S. Cutter, 1/25 scale

More rigging.

The “bible” I’m following. (RIGGING PERIOD FORE AND AFT CRAFT by Petersson. I think his drawings of rigging an American Schooner are a great lesson and I’m learning quite a bit. I’m having a great time adapting his work for my build.

8295250A-2A6F-4938-80B1-F263EF11A84C.jpeg

My version of the Vang.

C9FA1560-907D-495D-8078-911897F303E0.jpeg

Port and Starboard sides done. I think I’ve got this right.

Jan

Last edited:
I agree with Heinrich, very neat! What's wrong with the image?
Hi Jimsky,

I think I need to figure out how overcome the shadows. I used a piece of poster board for the background and my boatyard bench lamp as a light source. I would have taken the picture outside , but after almost a week of 90F+/32C+ weather, todays it's 57F/14C out with a steady rain.

Jan

Hey, Jan. Sounds like we are neighbors :cool: Same temperature for the past few days and rain today with 65F.

Have you ever check our section on Discussing Photography? While it might not have an answer to your direct question, the threads there will definitely help you understand the subject. Also, @Donnie has a. PDF document for this subject. Try it out (below)

Hey, Jan. Sounds like we are neighbors :cool: Same temperature for the past few days and rain today with 65F.

Have you ever check our section on Discussing Photography? While it might not have an answer to your direct question, the threads there will definitely help you understand the subject. Also, @Donnie has a. PDF document for this subject. Try it out (below)

I definitely will check that out. Something "new" to peruse since other than these fancy phones, I've never owned a camera. Years ago when I travelled the world I was the guy in the Tourist shop buying the 35mm slides to take home. :cool::cool:

Jan

Very tidy bit of rigging Jan - you can tell that you enjoy it! Looks like you found your calling! I'll be sending my ship via parcel post...
ROTF:pYou made my day.ROTF:p

I’d be kind of leery of the big brown and white shipping and delivery guys. Seems to me they both use an Elephant to stomp on the delivery label and then fling the item on to delivery truck floor.

Be that as it may, of course you can ship your fantastic build here. But a word of caution, it takes me three days of research, another day to think about it and about four hours to run and place a line. So I figure about 90 hours per line. Hmmm, so for your build that would be 90 X #of lines = ???

Jan

Last edited:
Rigging, one line at a time.

The "Bible"

8075066B-BF02-4D99-8616-C3A3DF539D6D_1_201_a.jpeg

Step #1: Read the plan, figure out how to complete the work on the kit.

18B13635-40C8-45C3-8E9F-0751782F5B94_1_201_a.jpeg

Step #2: Same as step #1, except there is no ships wheel involved and leave out the tiller portion

E89C23F7-B41A-4CF3-A2A4-247D4E51A2D7_1_201_a.jpeg

Step #3: My interpretation of the rigging plans provided in the kit and Petersson's drawings. I'm happy with my results. In my estimation the plans provided in the kit are more for advanced builders than myself. But nevertheless I'm enjoying this part of the build and also adding to my skill set.

Jan

Last edited:
Dear Jan. Your "Bible", research and systematic approach have served you very well in creating a beautiful effect. The rigging looks superb and very well executed!

@shota70 , Peter Voogt, Jimsky and Dockattner,

Thank you for the likes and following my build log. I'm having a great time with this build. There were a lot of frustrating moments as I started to work on this kit, but as time went along I learned new skills, changed a build step or two, posted my progress and just kept on bumbling along, you guys were always there with helpful comments and advice.

Jan

Back