Krick “Alert” U.S. Cutter, 1/25 scale

I would be interested to know what type of glue did you use for the wales?
I used Titebond II Premium. It's the only glue I've used since I started building.
I think the problem is the the type of wood and expansion. The planking underneath is Nussbaum (Walnut??). Since both the Port and Starboard pieces have done the same thing I suspect there never was a good bond. I think a replacement is the best bet, since there appears to be a slight bubble effects I place the clamps.

:rolleyes: Hah, now that I typed that I don't know if it makes any sense:rolleyes:.

The bubble sort of moves as I clamp, I think that's because neither the bow or stern sections of the Wales have come unglued.

Jan

Oh s...
I thinkalso, that a replacing would be the best way -
you have to see the positive point: better now, than afterwards, when the model is finished - so somehow you had luck ;)

Hi Jan!

SANY1252.JPG

I think at the "Alert" the wales were supplied from this beech bentwood. At first glance, this wood is very easy to bend only by hand and almost indestructible. The marine model builder and book author Wolfram zu Mondfeld writes about this wood: bad to nail, dowel and glue.
If possible, I would make the wales from another wood (possibly from two laths, each 4 mm).

Maybe the rest goes well to take off.
Thomas

Hi Jan!

View attachment 236824

I think at the "Alert" the wales were supplied from this beech bentwood. At first glance, this wood is very easy to bend only by hand and almost indestructible. The marine model builder and book author Wolfram zu Mondfeld writes about this wood: bad to nail, dowel and glue.
If possible, I would make the wales from another wood (possibly from two laths, each 4 mm).

Maybe the rest goes well to take off.
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Well it took less than five minutes on each side to pry those pieces off. There was absolutely no glue residue on the hull where those pieces were “glued”. Fortunately there are only two deadeye straps on each side, easily removable to make way for new Wales. Your suggestion of two 4mm laths to replace the old 8mm Wales is a good one.

Jan

That looks just like what the doctor ordered Jan. Have a proper squizz inside and tell us what you think.

That looks just like what the doctor ordered Jan. Have a proper squizz inside and tell us what you think.
Hi Heinrich,

The contents are great, there are detailed rigging drawings for three ships. A British Naval Cutter, a French Lugger and an American Schooner. A lot of information for a guy like me who is trying to interpret rigging plans.

443EB8FF-5463-4D1D-817A-496AC89F6134.jpeg
62D78750-B404-43A7-88D1-4F95DE6307C8.jpeg

1BC21426-BB62-4E4A-856A-8E3647701F23.jpeg
988F092A-035A-4BFA-BAA1-85A2F4E89803.jpeg

These are some samples of the pages in the American Schooner section. There are some similarities to the Cutter I’m trying to rig. I figure every bit of knowledge that I can find will help with what I’m trying to accomplish.

Jan

I am glad that you find the book a help. The American Schooner section, may also be of help to the Bluenose builders, the section on the French lugger can assist the Le Coureur builders, while the Cutter section should be right up your alley. Luckily we have Ab Hoving for the Dutchmen.

Hello Jan, Sorry for my late coming to your build log, this has been a very hard year for my Admiral Bernadette and my self. But we are putting that all behind us, and we do hope things will improve with this virus thing that has cooped up in our home for so long now. I have been looking over your build log and see that you are doing a great job, your skill levels sure have improved and you are achieving some great results, Keep up the Great work.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Jan, Sorry for my late coming to your build log, this has been a very hard year for my Admiral Bernadette and my self. But we are putting that all behind us, and we do hope things will improve with this virus thing that has cooped up in our home for so long now. I have been looking over your build log and see that you are doing a great job, your skill levels sure have improved and you are achieving some great results, Keep up the Great work.
Regards Lawrence
Hi Lawrence,

It's great that you took time to look at my log. I really appreciate your comments. Yup, the virus business has been a major slow down for us also. Last weekend was the first time since April of last year that we had a chance to visit with my son and his family. We waited until all of us had been vaccinated and passed the fourteen day incubation requirement. As with the rest of the world we have had several deaths and some serious illnesses in the family. We are in process of trying to deal with all that so we can move on. ZOOM, FaceTime and the rest of the social media apps fall far short when dealing with those kind of family issues. I hope you and your Admiral can move forward, the "World" as we knew it will never be the same, but history shows us that we've survived other calamities and we'll get past this one.

Jan

Hello Jan - I would honestly not bother with that 2mm difference. You will simply have a slightly more subtle effect than before.

Hello Jan - I would honestly not bother with that 2mm difference. You will simply have a slightly more subtle effect than before.
Hi Heinrich,

What a day here, over 90 degrees outside , I spent quite a bit of time floating in the pool today. Didn't think much about working in the Pathfinder Boatyard. BTW the Admiral thinks that the almost 6mm piece looks very nice. Who am I to argue with that logic.:D:D

Jan

Ok. Kibitz time.

The confusion reigns with rigging. I’ve looked at everything I can find, plans, pictures of similar builds and other internet info.

This line comes from the top of the Main mast to the deck. As best as I can figure out it should look like this.

0001CFD2-6EF4-4F5A-BFCF-B422FB0089A8.jpeg

There no pin rails or belaying pins to tie the line too. So this is what I’ve done.

Jan

Interesting build item:

I’m currently working my way through the standing rigging. I‘m working forward from the Stern so I can keep the tension on the lines that I’ve done. That brought me to an interesting dilemma. What supports the Main Boom??

The Alert plans do not show any type of shelf, ring or stop on the mast for the boom to “rest on”. All my literature on rigging shows at the minimum a half ring or wedge type shelf.

1809D8F8-F76C-43D9-9828-2853808917F8.jpeg

Since I’m new at this ship modeling stuff it makes sense to me add some sort of support. If I don’t then boom will only be supported by the lifts and rest on the cleats fixed to the mast.

2F086D28-B1CA-4A2E-9294-CB9C582782DD.jpeg

My guide to resolve this little issue. It’s in the American Schooner section of Peterson’s “Rigging Period Fore and Aft Craft”

Jan

Back