Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Canoe Group Build

Kurt's Canoe Build 19"

It is looking good.

On a side note:
The canoe can be built with or without ribs. In the real canoe (if ribbed) the ribs would normally installed before the vessel is planked: over a form as, again, the ribs would be one piece from gunwale to gunwale. The canoe model can be built with or without ribs. Should the modeler chose to include the ribs, I understand that fitting what I refer to as the "inner keel" does not conform to reality for most but there are several reasons why I decided to include such prior to the ribs as all of them are installed in 2 pieces.

Here are 3 of them:
1- it makes it easier to line up the 2 parts from a concrete center line: 1 half of the rib from the center to the starboard gunwale, the other half from the center to the port side gunwale.
2 - it ensures that the joint line at the center is consistent as it rest against the inner keel.
3 - bending half the rib is easier to ensure that it follows the curve of the hull while the rib rest against the planking. When the part of rib is being glued in place, it can be pushed down from the gunwale towards the center as it rests against the inner keel at the center: it is flexible enough to slide down and follow the curve (even with the oversized thickness of the cherry wood supplied by the Lumberyard) as it secure in place by the inner keel.

In the model, the ribs can still be installed in 1 piece, it is just much more difficult. The location absolutely needs to be marked on both gunwales, one end needs to be solidly clamped on one side, the rib can be bent in place while applying #3 above: downward push from the loose end to ensure the rib rest against the planking throughout the curve of the hull.

G

Kkonrath

Kurt Konrath

Well all my stuff has been on hold for a month or more as I was packing for move to new house! After months of searching we got one and now to finish move and unpack and set up new shop!

The new place came with workshop area just need to get cracking on unpacking!

Well all my stuff has been on hold for a month or more as I was packing for move to new house! After months of searching we got one and now to finish move and unpack and set up new shop!

The new place came with workshop area just need to get cracking on unpacking!
Good purchase option. Rich (PT-2)

Kkonrath

Kurt Konrath

Nice house for Admiral with fireplace!

For me a two car size shop with roll up door. Also had a old mobile class room (two halves style) set up on blocks, 20' x 30' workroom for trains and ships work areas.

Located out in middle of nowhere in woods, so no city telling me where I can and can't part RV and boats.

The biggest part of this old class room will be my home train layout down the road. Use the shop for messy and noisy tools and keep shop area cleaner.

Nice house for Admiral with fireplace!

For me a two car size shop with roll up door. Also had a old mobile class room (two halves style) set up on blocks, 20' x 30' workroom for trains and ships work areas.

Located out in middle of nowhere in woods, so no city telling me where I can and can't part RV and boats.

The biggest part of this old class room will be my home train layout down the road. Use the shop for messy and noisy tools and keep shop area cleaner.
Sounds like it will serve you well. Congratulations! Rich (PT-2)