La Belle 1/36 - Plan by Jean Boudriot / myself

There is a lot of little things that slows down the whole project. I need to start the assembly but every day i find a new detail.
I need bolts in the Sternpost and i have to carve the rabbet on the deadwoods on the front and on the rear. Not too much to do.
After this i can begin with the assembly.

lol now ppl can understand what I go through in solidworks to get stuff done. it is a lot of work adding extra geometries needed for cad plus the faring in of everything. most sand it away but those of us in cad have to correct it immediatley or we get bad results. you can always tell who thook their time drawing plans and who just whipped something out by their accuracy. even hand drawn a good draftsman can be pretty darn accurate

I am OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER WHEN A DRAFTSMAN WAS A DRAFTSMAN, NO CAD NOW COMPUTERS JUST HAND AND HAND INSTREMENTS BEING A PROJECTS MANAGER AND A ESTIMATOR FOR OVER 45 YEARS I DO REMEMBER but today we advance and the use of modern technology is a wonderful thing when used right. Don

Hi Uwe,

you can´t compare the rabbet from the 18. century with the rabbet from the 17. century.
In the 17. century the rabbet in the frech/dutch shipbuilding was different. There is a little gap betwen the keel and the plank for the drainage.
Thats why the rabbet is further down. I know only one La Belle Model who has the correct rabbet.
You are right. In the front are the plank can´t fit in the keel. My rabbet isn´t finished yet.
The rabbet has a transition betwen horizonal and vertical. I will create this in my model
together with the finetuning from the Frames in this area

Last edited:
Thanks @Jimsky :) Thumbs-Up .

@donfarr

The 3D helps a lot to understand how works the parts togehter. He shows also tricky corners before they arise in the wood.
I will build the Bonhomme Richard (next rpject) on CAD as well. Its very good to stick together with the ship, the whole project.
But this work will start when i start the rigging on the La Belle. In 3 or 4 years....

Back