La Belle 1/36 - Plan by Jean Boudriot / myself

This is my first scratch build and there is a lot of things to learn for me. First I mesured the plan a lot of hours to find any mistakes and errors. May last project i canceled because the plan was incorrect and i build the hull with a lot of errors. To avoid the same error i tried to check up the plan.
Unfortunatly the plan is full with errors and incorrect drawings. A lot of drawings shows the same detail in differnt manners. The planset has two kind of errors. Errors in the drawing and errors in the printing. After this i decide to draw my own plan. In the drawing process i find more errors. Now i know that it was the best desicion to redraw the plan. It helps also to understand the wooden part and their interfaces together. It was a good decision also for the future. I will draw for my next projects also my own plans
The draw the Hull with CATIA and the process at this point tooks 2 month. All in my freetime. Now is the point to start the building of the Hull. But i will continue to complete the ship on CAD.

Hallo Oliver,
I am very happy, that you decided to show your CAD- and also wood-work here in our forum.
I am already impressed about the 3D drawings you produced - so I am looking forward
I will follow your building log with big interest.

For all interested in this ship and drawings:
This planset is one of the monographies Jean Boudriot made, published in 2000.
I made some times ago a Planset Review / Look inside here in SOS, so if you are interested please check this out:

81061 81062

Oliver
Great job with that model! I used to work on Solidworks and a few years ago I created the model for Duyfken to be able to make the cant frames, which were not included in the original plan. I can appreciate your effort on Catia!
Janos

Thank you everybody for the positive feedback.

@Maarten
Sorry, my mistake. It´s not my first drawing. It´s only my first ship. I working for more then 20 Years with CATIA for automotive. Itßs only
a different sector with different kind of parts. I don´t want to use CNC or 3D-Prtinting for the parts. I am totally oldschool and will use classic tools for manufacturing the parts.

@JerryTodd
In 1/36 this vessel is small. he widest point has 12 cm, think 4,7 inches.... Its a funny little toy.

@janos
Yes, i found also a (invisible) geometrie from a lot of parts, that not was drawn in the planset. It is the great benefit of CAD. You can take a loog from every site and avoid questions bevor you start to mill, or sand or whatever.

@Jimsky
First you need to know that your skill on CAD will grow up with how you use the programm. Like everything in life. I am working now for 21 years with CATIA for daily work and i have a lot of experince with this programm. For me the La Belle wasn´t too complicated, but i have also repeat a lot of details varoius times. And the next ship i will go a another way in the parametric of the system.
CATIA is not a good option. First, the programm is very expansive. (20000 Euros, and 4000 every year for maintanance) You will find a lot of books that will teach CATIA, the functions and how you can start. But the problems to get your result maybe are to much. The biggest problem was to create the big surface from the hull. This surface has a lot of points, that not was drawn in the original planset. You must draw a lot of helpfull addon geometrie to find various points. The surface need a connection with the rabbet. Somethimes with a angle, sometmes with a tangent. To create this all you need experince in the handling. Catia is not the best tool for this type of geometry.
The hull inside ist not a parallel offset from the hull outside. Its a own hull with a various distance to the hull outside. You can see this on the drawing of the frames.

I startet now to learn Rhinoceros. Its a another tool which is more confortable to use. A lot of modeller use this program and get very good results, how you can see on the images below. But here also my experience in CATIA me help a lot. The tasks are similar, the basics of CAD-Geoemetry, the way to use is not too different.
The licence costs 1000 Euro one time. I have the luck, that i have a CATIA and Rhino licence on my PC in Home for my Work.
You can check here a good course for beginners. Its very cheap, and the trainee is good.

You have to know that the skill to learn to build a ship on CAD will need a lot of free time. You can campare it with the real construction of a ship, a admiralty modell. It will takes years to get the skill for this. On CAD the same. I think the invest is too high for the result. The time that you will spend in front of the screen you can use for more useful things. I work every day 10 hours an CAD and in my freetime i don´t want to do the same thing. I am lucky when i can start now the real construction and leave the desk. Thats my problem with the CAD.

Last edited:
You have undergone some very thorough preparation for your build Oliver.Excellent work.I am intrigued as to your choice of frame assembly.You have assembled the frames as you would when building a model framed using Harold Hahn's method.This is the first time I have seen this used in true to prototype French framing.I get it in that ensures you maintain perfect joins between futtocks.I didn't think the frame would be strong enough as a single layer for you to be able to cut it out before laminating the two sections together,you have proved me wrong.I look forward to following along.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have finished the drawings for the slipway (is this correct ???)

I noticed the extra extensions above the top of the frames I colored in blue. I am not sure if these are part of the frame or not.

20190319_213944.jpg

if this is a Hahn style of build where the hull is built in a jig then those extensions fit into the jig like this

extra wood1.jpg

Back