La Belle - Caf Model 1:48 by Thomas Marocke [COMPLETED BUILD]

For further construction I ordered the necessary Pearwood Cleats from Dry-Dock Models. If I need them they are available.

For the rigging of the anchors I received the needed yarn today.

SANY1306.JPG
Above the new rope from: Modellbau Takelgarn, J. Marx, Berdingstraße 4b, 30451 Hannover. Below, the usual ropes from various kits.

SANY1307.JPG
Construction kit rope as it is still found in many construction kits today.

SANY1308.JPG
Rope from Modellbau Marx.

SANY1309.JPG
Also new the anchor rope.

Of course it is always better to make everything myself, but for my small needs I also like to use and support suppliers. The "La Belle" is actually also a kit model.

Best regards
Thomas

SANY1311.JPG
First attempt with rigging rope from the remnants of old kits with different diameters. Lint can not be burned off but the rope melts instantly.

SANY1314.JPG
. . . and with the new rope. The rope is made of "Gütermann" raw materials and does not melt if, however, once a lint to stand under the magnifying glass disturbes. With beautiful ropes, of course, you enhance your rigging work significantly and modelling is more fun.
It is just school vacations and the children come before the hobby. But is visibly always find a few hours to model.

Best regards
Thomas

View attachment 247347
First attempt with rigging rope from the remnants of old kits with different diameters. Lint can not be burned off but the rope melts instantly.

View attachment 247351
. . . and with the new rope. The rope is made of "Gütermann" raw materials and does not melt if, however, once a lint to stand under the magnifying glass disturbes. With beautiful ropes, of course, you enhance your rigging work significantly and modelling is more fun.
It is just school vacations and the children come before the hobby. But is visibly always find a few hours to model.

Best regards
Thomas
Have you tried using a little bees wax? That’s how I get rid of lint. ;)

Hi Dean!

The rope is beautifully made and immediately consumable. With the eye you can not see any fuzz at all, at most under the magnifying glass. The lighter test was only to see if they are really natural materials.
Once you have such a beautiful rope in your hand, you envy the modelling colleagues who make their own rope and consider as a new acquisition a machine for rope production.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Dean!

The rope is beautifully made and immediately consumable. With the eye you can not see any fuzz at all, at most under the magnifying glass. The lighter test was only to see if they are really natural materials.
Once you have such a beautiful rope in your hand, you envy the modelling colleagues who make their own rope and consider as a new acquisition a machine for rope production.

Best regards
Thomas
It does look very good! ;)

My ladies have given me a few hours off - where was I?

SANY1317.JPG
Finally working on the crane beams!

SANY1324.JPG
The brass sheet was cut into narrow stripes with a paper office cutter. And the rings and axles for the sheaves were cut from the roll and shaped and soldered.

SANY1319.JPG
The components needed. The small pieces of plank as a base for the crane beams were also prepared.

SANY1318.JPG
The cutouts in the dropside were made with a small file. This takes longer than with a machine, but is much safer. To know how deep I have to file, a "sacrificial plank" was placed on the deck beams. When I reached the top edge it was done.

SANY1320.JPG
The finished cutouts after two hours of leisurely filing and adjusting.

SANY1321.JPG

SANY1323.JPG

SANY1325.JPG

SANY1326.JPG
The rings are still loosely mounted and will be removed before painting, otherwise they will stick to the paint.

Best regards
Thomas

I am quiet when I watch such mastery at work. On the Dutch forum we have an emoji that bows down in appreciation of wonderful work. I believe that SOS should seriously think of introducing that - it will be particularly appropriate for your work.

Thanks for the likes and comments!

It's just woodwork on a small model and an attempt to embellish a nice kit model to my liking. That it came out a half new building was not planned at all. The construction of this model has some changes to the "Ancre" blueprint, which also contains some different representations in its own drawings. How the real "La Belle" looked will never be known for sure.

And most of the time it is the beautiful work of other modelers that impresses you, like those of Gennaro, Heinrich and many others.

Best regards
Thomas

Back