La Belle Poule 1780 by Thomas

View attachment 312297
The frames sometimes do not lie exactly in line, but also bend outward or inward. They were locked between two planks for two days.

View attachment 312299
Then the end of the frames were trimmed.

View attachment 312298
Light parallel finishing with the file.

View attachment 312300
Drying phase of the adhesive.

View attachment 312301

Have a nice weekend
Thomas
Dear Thomas
Agree with the comments of the friends before me, your meticulous on the details and accuracy at every step are what bring you to the high achievements and beauty of your models!

Additional frames are provided for the ship.

P6100175.JPG
Small problems on the construction site. :eek: The frames are 0,5 mm too wide and do not fit.

P6100176.JPG
They can be made narrower either with a file etc. or a disk sander. The gap is somewhat large and is reduced with a glued (double sided tape) auxiliary board .

P6100177.JPG
A right-angled wooden board is used to guide the frame to the grinding wheel.

P6100178.JPG
I sand the glued frames with sandpaper and bent files.

P6100179.JPG

I wish you all a nice weekend
Thomas

Na statek przewidziano dodatkowe ramy.

View attachment 313122
Małe problemy na budowie. :tydzień: Ramki są o 0,5 mm za szerokie i nie pasują.

View attachment 313123
Można je zwęzić pilnikiem itp. lub szlifierką tarczową. Szczelina jest dość duża i jest redukowana za pomocą klejonej (dwustronnej taśmy) płyty pomocniczej.

View attachment 313124
Drewniana deska pod kątem prostym służy do prowadzenia ramy do tarczy szlifierskiej.

View attachment 313125
Sklejone ramki szlifuję papierem ściernym i wygiętymi pilnikami.

View attachment 313126

Życzę wszystkim miłego weekendu
Tomasz
Witaj
Piękna praca jestem pod wrażeniem super. Pozdrawiam Mirek

..... but I always thought that Belle Poule was one of the smaller French ships.
the Belle Poule 1765 was already a bigger 620 tons 12pdr frigate (with 26 * 12pdr and 6 * 6pdr guns)

aa.JPG

@Thomas Marocke
Just checked it..... she had a Crew Complement of all together 8 officers and 260 seamen.
So if you would add 267 figurines it would be crowdy on deck

A small difference between the construction plan and the "Ancre" drawing.

P6210190.JPG
Above the build plan drawing, below the "Ancre" drawing.

P6210191.JPG
On top of the "Ancre" drawing a transparent foil was put and the cannon ports were traced.

P6210193.JPG
This foil on the construction plan of the kit.

P6210192.JPG
The cutting aids provided were attached with glue that can be rubbed off after removing the paper.

P6210196.JPG
Now I am wondering if I should raise the plank under the cannonports or lower the cannon ports a bit. I want a whole plank under the gun ports without narrow wooden stripes of wood as indicated in the kit.

Best regards
Thomas

You are right with a detailed preparation of the planking, especially because the Belle Poule has a very special form of the hull

1)
The midship gunports (and sills) showed by Boudriot are exactly in line with the planking (green dotted line)
P6210191.JPG

which is also shown at the templates ....... but
P6210196.JPG

but you have to take into account the not vertical installation of the planks, because of the form of the hull
here I tried to show the green dotted line and in red the sill
cc.JPG

on this cross section we can see the sill better
IMG_41391.jpg
and also marked is the plank

So you have to take into account the horizontal "cut" into the plank which will be necessary when the top of the plank has to be on the same level like the sill

To make it more clear I tried to make a small sketch
Unbenannt.jpg

Orange - frame
red - sill
green - plank
blue - area which has to be removed so that the plank and sill has a horizontal top -> lower part of the gunport opening

Thanks for your support Uwe! I'm still thinking about how to do it. All things have two sides, so also a ship's side. If I change the postion of the gun ports in the height, it also effects the inside of the ship.

P6220198.JPG

P6220200.JPG
The windows still have to fit and the cannons have to be correctly in the gun ports.

P6210194.JPG
Here is the foil that shows the same position of the gun ports in the different plans, held to the model. It is difficult to position due to the curved side of the ship.

P6220199.JPG
I think I'll cut out the gun ports according to the assembly patterns and then use new cut planks for the exact cover. Actually I had planned to build the ship only from the supplied parts.

Best regards
Thomas

Actually, now is not modelling time, with this beautiful weather. But the gunport openings want to be made.

P7050212.JPG
So that they have the right size must be calculated something. The drawings provided are a little too small.

P7050208.JPG
Who does not want to have exact openings? For a careful opening holes are drilled and most of the wood is removed with the fretsaw.

P7050209.JPG
Then the frame is expanded with the file.

P7050210.JPG
From this stage it becomes more accurate. Guide the file parallel to the deck or the frames.

P7050213.JPG
Inserted sills from the kit. Measure again with the caliper and the inside dimension is correct.

P7050211.JPG
There are many approaches for this work, for me these few tools are enough.

P7050217.JPG
On very high-quality models, the lower port-sill is still integrated into the planking inside the ship. For me, the flush finish with the frames is enough in this beautiful kit. I don't want to complicate everything.

P7050215.JPG
Finally, a dry test without glue with inserted deck, two planking stripes and a gun that does not belong.

Best regards
Thomas

Back