La Salamandre, 1752. CAFMODEL. 1/48 scale

I have not posted on this log in a while. My wife and I returned from a trip to China a few weeks ago and then my mother passed away a week ago. So a very sad time for me. Also we will now be moving to Perth which is about 3000km away as I promised my wife who has family there once my mother left this earth. Now I will be preoccupied with sorting out my mother’s affairs, selling our house, buying a new one over there and then moving. Progress on this build is on hold and may continue slowly for a while until everything is sorted out. Will still be posting and watching with great interests the happenings on here and in particular Uwek build.

Last edited:
G'day Paul
I am so sorry for your loss! My wife and I will keep your mother in our prayers.
Good luck on the move, and speaking from experience, you will not probably do any work on your model for 4 to 6 months.
God bless you all
Greg

Hi all, thankyou very much for your thoughts and kind comments. As this hobby needs a lot of focus I will have to progress through all the sadness as well as the distractions first. One little positive is that when I finally move I will have a new home with workshop space so no more hogging the kitchen table to build.

Hi all, thankyou very much for your thoughts and kind comments. As this hobby needs a lot of focus I will have to progress through all the sadness as well as the distractions first. One little positive is that when I finally move I will have a new home with workshop space so no more hogging the kitchen table to build.
That is a very great point in your favour mate. What area around Perth are you looking at buying?
Happymoving
Greg

Great log, hope to se more son.

KNUT
Thanks Knut. Been away for a while as all my time is taken up with fixing my house for sale before we move to Perth over 3000 Km away. When everything is settled in about 4-6 months I will come back to the forum and start posting again. The ship is packed away at the moment.

Thanks Knut. Been away for a while as all my time is taken up with fixing my house for sale before we move to Perth over 3000 Km away. When everything is settled in about 4-6 months I will come back to the forum and start posting again. The ship is packed away at the moment.
Many thanks for the update .... so we know, that you are ok and "only" busy"
Keep care my friend and we cross the fingers, that everything will work during the next months. - See you

After more than a year since I stopped working on La SALAMANDRE due to many distractions and commitments I have finally been able to resume work. Firstly I would like to say I am amazed to how SHIPS OF SCALE has grown since my absence. So many new members, great topics and interesting build logs since my absence. Will need a lot of catch up to read them all.

I have now completed the inner hull planking and started on the interior. The inner hull planking has been the most tedious, slow and difficult part so far. I notice Koreets in his fine build has omitted this step. I question whether it was worth the bother but I have managed to get it done, not aesthetically or technically perfect but will look fine since it will be mostly covered up and I have learned a new skill for the future.
The lower fore and aft decks were easily assembled as CAF have provided handy templates and they dry fit well with minimal adjustments. Now time to prepare the deck beams.
I notice Uwek has suspended his build and detailed log and I hope he resumes soon also.F92B350F-2847-4E92-AE7D-FBDB494C8B37.jpeg9D1821DF-CB59-4646-B236-D316492E0516.jpegC1D743B1-A120-4FEA-961B-15C72A50B47B.jpeg

Last edited:
After more than a year since I stopped working on La SALAMANDRE due to many distractions and commitments I have finally been able to resume work. Firstly I would like to say how amazed to how SHIPS OF SCALE has grown since my absence. So many new members, great topics and interesting build lots since my absence. Will need a lot of catch up to read them all.

I have now completed the inner hull planking and started on the interior. The inner hull planking has been the most tedious, slow and difficult part so far. I notice Koreets in his fine build has omitted this step. I question whether it was worth the bother but I have managed to get it done, not aesthetically or technically perfect but will look fine since it will be mostly covered up and I have learned a new skill for the future.
The lower decks were easily assembled as CAF have provided handy templates and they dry fit well with minimal adjustments. Now time to prepare the deck beams.
I notice Uwek has suspended his build and detailed log and I hope he resumes soon also.View attachment 130814View attachment 130815View attachment 130815
Hi,your images are not displayed for some reason

After more than a year since I stopped working on La SALAMANDRE due to many distractions and commitments I have finally been able to resume work. Firstly I would like to say I am amazed to how SHIPS OF SCALE has grown since my absence. So many new members, great topics and interesting build logs since my absence. Will need a lot of catch up to read them all.

The lower fore and aft decks were easily assembled as CAF have provided handy templates and they dry fit well with minimal adjustments. Now time to prepare the deck beams.
I notice Uwek has suspended his build and detailed log and I hope he resumes soon also.View attachment 130823View attachment 130824View attachment 130825
Hallo Paul,
I am very happy, that you are back on the workbench - your interior work is looking very good - I had the same experience with the inside planking, with learning a lot - I suspended my Salamandre because of an other project I am working in moment, the section of the Bonhomme Richard, but plan to reactivate my Salamandre in some time......
I am looking forward to see your next progress, so I am getting also more motivated, in addition to the @Koreets model - Great that you are back, my friend :cool:

Back