Language Barriers

it is starting to happen actually starting to snowball cutting edge technology is starting to get a grip on the hobby. It has been far to long in coming.

the inability to produce parts, carvings, figureheads, ships fittings etc has hampered new kit ideas from being developed. With 3D scanners, 3d printers, CNC mills and lasers new ideas = new kits.

high end technology is a double edge sword
will we see pirates with high end cutting edge technology. One edge means everything and every part of every kit can be copied and reproduced. But on the other edge the people on the creative end have to be even more creative and inventive to stay one step ahead.

all in all it is good thing same old kit subjects done over and over how many more Victory or Bounty models does this hobby need? We have not even touched the era of ships from 1820 on because we could not produce fittings, steam engines, steam powered capstans etc.

high end fabrication.
In-fact.... the technology has advanced so rapidly, it has gotten to the point where a group of hobbyists on SoS with different skills now have the ability to create ALL NEW MODELS and parts for models that rival or far exceed those made by the large kit companys themselves. The reason they can be better is because we don't have to economize for mass production (i.e. use cheap materials) or sacrifice quality for quantity.

Fewer numbers of some very special models results in a much higher intrinsic value. While this may not be important to novice builders, for those who are looking to differentiate themselves, or seek new and innovative building challenges, there are now opportunities to do so!!

As a novice builder and looking around at models available as my next choice, I very much like what's on offer from European makers as well as from China. I will admit, some of the models from China (eg ZHL) are different than what the Europeans are offering, they are so really different, the Europeans don't even supply anything like them. However , it's up to you, as a builder, go for it. The choice is yours, you're not breaking any laws. Just build. That's what i'll do.

Agree with you Zoly. Why can't manufactures get some imagination and produce a ship thats different to the current offerings.
Nobody wants to pay mega thousands for another Victory kit, regardless of the scale.
I am not sure if others will agree or not but I think there is a bias among modelers to only build known historic ships and therefore tend to not build a generic model or a model with a non-historic name. The critique seems to be “there is no such ship named (whatever) therefore it won’t sell and people won’t want to build it.“

I am not sure if others will agree or not but I think there is a bias among modelers to only build known historic ships and therefore tend to not build a generic model or a model with a non-historic name. The critique seems to be “there is no such ship named (whatever) therefore it won’t sell and people won’t want to build it.“
There are many well known famous ship that never been manufactured as a kit

Ahoy!
There are many well known famous ship the never been manufactured as a kit

Zoly@ - it's true. ......... It takes a long time to prepare a good set for modelers.

Problems: LONG TIME and GOOD DESIGNER
GOOD DESIGNER........ not the man/woman who knows the software only. MUST BE SHIP-LOVER who also knows graphics programs well. A person who feels what he is doing, feels the projects.

Hello Jim, There is no Bias involve, IMHO. I might be a wrong if I say that majority modelers are kit builders...They will build what available for sale on the market. Kit manufactures will invest only in famous ships, for them it is just a busyness! Who wants to invest in a kit, if it doesn't give them revenues?

If you are scratch modeller, technically, you can build any model you want. A lot of work involve to research documentations, suitable plans, make those plans workable...etc. Not too many people are ready for such challenges.

All great comments by EVERYONE. I am glad we started this thread!! I am also happy everyone seems to have basically the same opinion. The decision of what to build is left up to the modeler. For those who build from kits there is less choice (for the reasons @Jimsky mentioned). For those who scratch build or want to design their own kit it is much more work than building a model itself (for the reasons @SZKUTNIK and @Jimsky mentioned).

Good stuff!!!

Sail on!!

Wenn ich mal meine falschee Meinung sagen darf, jeder soll und kann doch Bauen war er will. Die großen Wohnungen haben schon lange den Anschluss verloren, China, Kroatien und Russland laufen sie davon. Maria Stella gehört seine Ontario für über 500 Euro, wenn man dann noch Versand Zoll und Umsatzsteuer hinzureckt wird manchen die Freude vergehen. Da man aber weit mehr als ein Jahr und ein Modell baut und auch etwas schöne sieht können kann es sie schon besitzen lohnen. Alles hat nun mal seinen Preis .......

Wenn ich meine bescheidene Meinung sagen darf, sollte und kann jeder bauen, was er will. Die großen Hersteller haben längst den Kontakt verloren, und China, Kroatien und Russland laufen vor ihnen davon. Maria Stella verkauft sein Ontario für über 500 Euro, wenn Sie den Versandzoll hinzufügen und die Umsatzsteuer die Freude einiger übertrifft. Aber da Sie weit über ein Jahr und ein Modell bauen und auch etwas Schönes erreichen wollen, kann es sich lohnen. Alles hat seinen Preis .......

Last edited:
Wenn ich mal meine bescheidene Meinung sagen darf, jeder soll und kann doch Bauen was er will. Die großen Hersteller haben schon lange den Anschluss verloren, China, Kroatien und Russland laufen ihnen davon. Maria Stella verkauft seine Ontario für über 500 Euro wenn man dann noch Versand Zoll und Umsatzsteuer hinzurechnet wird manchen die Freude vergehen. Da man aber weit mehr als ein Jahr und ein Modell baut und auch etwas schönes erreichen möchte kann es sie schon durchaus lohnen. Alles hat nun mal seinen Preis.......

English translation... Thanks.

If I can say my humble opinion, everyone should and can build what he wants. The big manufacturers have long since lost touch, China, Croatia and Russia are running away from them. Maria Stella sells his Ontario for over 500 euros, if you add shipping and sales tax, some of the joy will pass away. But since one builds more than a year and a model and also wants to achieve something nice, it can be worth it. Everything has its price .......

Back