Le Coureur 1776, CAF model 1:48 by Poul

Questions to group members who already made the building berth. Did you do any modifications /adjustments to any of the berth parts?
I did not expect that modifications would be needed but I just assembled the berth (luckily without glue) and then I could not get the keel to fit in the berth. It seems to me as if the A8 part needs to be modified with 2.5 mm?IMG_0967.JPG

Questions to group members who already made the building berth. Did you do any modifications /adjustments to any of the berth parts?
I did not expect that modifications would be needed but I just assembled the berth (luckily without glue) and then I could not get the keel to fit in the berth. It seems to me as if the A8 part needs to be modified with 2.5 mm?View attachment 185618
Correct - you have to adjust this part - no need to be very exact - most important is, that the keel will lay later on over the complete length on top of the base - without correcting the A8 element the keel will be not flat on the base in the area of the bow

I did not expect that modifications would be needed but I just assembled the berth (luckily without glue) and then I could not get the keel to fit in the berth. It seems to me as if the A8 part needs to be modified with 2.5 mm?

Correct - you have to adjust this part - no need to be very exact - most important is, that the keel will lay later on over the complete length on top of the base - without correcting the A8 element the keel will be not flat on the base in the area of the bow
I think it is a great idea by CAF to adjust this part according to your own assembly. all parts have +\- tolerance, also sanding and glue may add to it... Very good. I am really enjoying watching Coureur builds!

The building berth is done. Maybe it is superflous but I put in a few reinforcements here and there and some extra keel support. I have put shellac on all the notches and edges that will touch the ship
Building the berth was out of instruction sequense and I just realize that part A9 should be used when making the stern Redface. Well, I hope I can adjust the stern within the berth. If not I'll have to trace the contour of A9 and make a template myself.
IMG_0974.JPG Search IMG_0973.JPG

I have also made 1 frame (no.9) and started on one more (I know it takes longer to make them one by one but I'm not in a hurry and the work more varied that way. Besides I can rest my fingers and do some 'home duties' etc. while the glue is drying :D )
IMG_0975.JPG

Looking very good my friend Thumbsup

Referring the Part A9:
I made the same "mistake" and installed it to early, but in the meantime I am convinced, that there is no way to construct the complex stern structure of the Le Coureur outside the berth - only laying on the part A9 I think it will be more or less impossible to produce the structure on the keel and install afterwards keel+ stern inside the berth / jig.
I will show this status in my building log asap...

Looking very good my friend Thumbsup

Referring the Part A9:
I made the same "mistake" and installed it to early, but in the meantime I am convinced, that there is no way to construct the complex stern structure of the Le Coureur outside the berth - only laying on the part A9 I think it will be more or less impossible to produce the structure on the keel and install afterwards keel+ stern inside the berth / jig.
I will show this status in my building log asap...
I have been thinking about this and although I have created a cardboard template for A9, it is very difficult to make it fit with the drawing. I’m leaning to @Uwek by building it in the berth. Maybe Tom @CAF can give us some feedback

Having built that stern structure outside of the jig, I am leaning towards @Uwek's opinion. I got lucky that mine mostly fit, but it's still not up to the same tolerance as the rest of the model so far.

If I were to do it this way, I would probably temporarily install the stern pieces of the jig and press the keel in place while building the stern structure. This is still a little problematic because once you push the keel firmly in place, the tabs are prone to popping off. However, it is easier to pry them loose and glue them back on than to just guess at the rest.

Even with this, the model has much tighter tolerance than anything else I've built. It all seems pretty correctable and there's little chance the average person will notice any small coverups.

I also had to try and dry fit some of the stern parts. Probably have to take them in and out of the berth many times, which is a bit scary as some of the parts are very fragile.
In the mean time I have also recieved the Alert kit and now I simply cannot make up my mind if I should pack Le coureur away and start on the Alert first as planned, or if I should continue on Le Coureur for some weeks more. What do you think?

IMG_0977.JPG

Last edited:
Great progress, Poul. It looks common for both kits Aler and Coureur to 'try out' or adjust parts until perfect fit. This obviously required multiple times of parts removal. I called this process 'adaptation' e.g. each part needs its own placement to look 'in-place'.

...as for the choice of builds, it is hard to suggest. If you have already a passion for Coureur continue the build, you can always start the ALert, thought. Or... start the Alert and build both... ;)

Many thanks for the comment and likes :)
I need to ask you guys a question to be sure I'm not making a mistake. I have just noticed som etched lines along the horisontal edges on frame parts for some of the aft frames. I have no clue about the proper maritime term for these edges but it is the lines I have marked with red arrows in this picture:
IMG_0989.JPG

I assume these lines means that the horisontal edges on these frames should not be horisontal but should be beveled like the red lines I have made on this picture:
IMG_0990.JPG
At a glance I don't understand why, so I thought I'd better ask if it is right, before I start beveling these edges?

PS: I had already glued the parts for frame 37 before I noticed but I tink I can anyway manage to bevel the edges - if it is needed.

Many thanks for the comment and likes :)
I need to ask you guys a question to be sure I'm not making a mistake. I have just noticed som etched lines along the horisontal edges on frame parts for some of the aft frames. I have no clue about the proper maritime term for these edges but it is the lines I have marked with red arrows in this picture:
View attachment 187839

I assume these lines means that the horisontal edges on these frames should not be horisontal but should be beveled like the red lines I have made on this picture:
View attachment 187840
At a glance I don't understand why, so I thought I'd better ask if it is right, before I start beveling these edges?

PS: I had already glued the parts for frame 37 before I noticed but I tink I can anyway manage to bevel the edges - if it is needed.
I interpreted these lines also in this way

Back