Le Coureur 1776, CAF model 1:48 by Poul

Small steps with small parts.
I'm getting tinnitus in my eyes by looking at grains across a plank, so I replaced the horizontal planks on the doors:
DSC01874_1.jpg

I also wanted to try if I could make some working hinges. I don't know what I do wrong but I have not had any success experiences with flames and tiny brass pieces so I did not even dare to try silver-soldering. Instead I opted for an electric solder pen and with soft solder I managed to make some small hinges out of some 0.1mm brass plate, 0,2 mm brass rod and some 0.4 mm tube. This one I discarded as I had cut one of the tubes a bit too long:
DSC01873_1.jpg
DSC01870_1.jpg

You know, presbyopia is a physiological insufficiency of accommodation associated with the aging of the eye that results in the lenses becoming less flexible so that they can no longer easily change shape to focus on close objects. Of course I do not suffer from anything like that! However, my eye lenses may have been a little dirty from the very fine cherry sand dust so I struggled a bit putting the 0.2 mm wire into the 0.4 mm tube. I think I have great potential to become an even better magician than David Copperfield because I easily got not one but 8 pcs. of 1.2 x 0.4 mm tubes to disappear completely - and I'm willing to bet a month salary (not as much as you might think) that none of them will never ever be found again.

After having glued the two hinges to one of the doors I tried to assemble the bulkhead in the hull. However, after having ripped off and even broken the hinges several times I throw them in the trash bin. I realized that the whole bulkhead structure was becoming too fragile with a loose post between the 2 doors and only the small deck beam to hold it all together. Hence I ended up gluing the doors to the posts to make the bulkhead a bit more stable. The working hinges will be replaced with fake ones.

I also tried to make moulding of the 0.4 x 1.4 mm lists around the sleeping compartments. Just for fun at it is nearly impossible to see with the naked eye - even without cherry dust on the lenses
DSC01869_1.jpg

super detailing at this scale is tres dificult'e. You might as well be a "cherry dusted" watchmaker, maybe a one eyed "cherry dusted" watchmaker.
I know, I have tried but my ten thumbs get in the way. Nice molding on the berths .

Hi Poul,

Excellent work, love the freeze around the bunk bed. Offcourse you in the prime of your live will be the only one who can see them with your fantastic eyes.
We only know they are there and that already gives a satisfying feeling.

I'm still waiting for the HMS Alert 1776 kit which I wanted to make my very first build. For now I do not want to build 2 kits simultaneously so it will most likely take a long time before I start on Le Coureur. However, I have been waiting since May and since I received Le Coreur kit from CAF I have struggled daily to keep my hands away from the boxes. Yesterday evening I could no longer resist to at least try to put one of the small accessories together. Thus I started on one of barrels and already there I run into a few questions so I decided to make a premature build log. The sole purpose of also this log will also be to ask questions and receive all the help and guidance I can get so that I and perhaps other rookies can learn and improve. Hence once again, please don't be shy with the criticism and advise. All comments are appreciated.

Coming back to my barrel questions: The instructions calls for 2 layers of staves. I wonder why that is? Was barrels back then made with 2 layers IRL? It is also not clear to me if the outer staves should be located directly on top of the inner staves or should the outer stave overlap the joint between 2 inner staves?
Also, the circumference has now increased by approx. 2.83mm. At least in the center of the barrel 12 staves fitted pretty accurate in the first layer, so should I now leave a gab of 2.83/12 between each of the staves? Or should I have sanded the inner structure much more than I did? (too late for this barrel :D )

As of now it look like this:
Hallo Poul alias @PoulD
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Coureur going? Are you still working on her?

Hi Poul........... Barrels........I sanded the first layer of staves quite smooth then added the second to achieve the proper scale. I did not sand down this second layer too much as I wanted them to maintain a more rugged look. You could also file or sand a slight bevel to the sides of them for a better fit. I know it's just a barrel but you want it to look gooooood.

Dear friends,

Sorry for my late response. Many thanks for the kind birthday greetings . I celebrated the day submerged in the Red Sea at Shark & Yolanda and a few other reefs around the southmost part of Sinai. My model building is still on stand by for the time being.

I'm still waiting for the HMS Alert 1776 kit which I wanted to make my very first build. For now I do not want to build 2 kits simultaneously so it will most likely take a long time before I start on Le Coureur. However, I have been waiting since May and since I received Le Coreur kit from CAF I have struggled daily to keep my hands away from the boxes. Yesterday evening I could no longer resist to at least try to put one of the small accessories together. Thus I started on one of barrels and already there I run into a few questions so I decided to make a premature build log. The sole purpose of also this log will also be to ask questions and receive all the help and guidance I can get so that I and perhaps other rookies can learn and improve. Hence once again, please don't be shy with the criticism and advise. All comments are appreciated.

Coming back to my barrel questions: The instructions calls for 2 layers of staves. I wonder why that is? Was barrels back then made with 2 layers IRL? It is also not clear to me if the outer staves should be located directly on top of the inner staves or should the outer stave overlap the joint between 2 inner staves?
Also, the circumference has now increased by approx. 2.83mm. At least in the center of the barrel 12 staves fitted pretty accurate in the first layer, so should I now leave a gab of 2.83/12 between each of the staves? Or should I have sanded the inner structure much more than I did? (too late for this barrel :D )

As of now it look like this:
Hallo @PoulD
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY 65th BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day - How is your work on the Le Coureur going?

Back