• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Le Fleuron 1729 scale 1/75 - Boudriot & Delacroix

You are lucky the "carpet gremlins" didn't take your wonderful coat of arms and furnish their hidden home! I've lost a few to these "gremlins". It seems they tire of them after a few weeks or months and then return them to the workbench in some unexpected place...

I am in awe of your stern decorations. Such detail!! Much admiration for your patience and skill.

Thanks for sharing!
And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with carpet gnomes.

Thanks for the kind words Brad, they keep me going.

I agree with Brad. The overall impression of the stern facade is breathtaking!
Thank you Paul
Lucky you. I don't have slightest doubt, you could carve another one, even better
Thank you, Wojtas, I was very happy to find the coat of arms undamaged.
Witaj
Więc to prawda cuda się zdarzają . Pięknie rzeźbisz masz dar więc korzystaj ,piękna praca pozdrawiam Mirek
Thank you Mirek, I don't know if I really have a gift. But so far I'm really enjoying it.

Looks terrific - well done !!!
Thank you CLB.

Today I finished the entire carved decoration on the mirror, including the balcony.

The carving process ...
- I don't even know what to call it.

Le Fleuron 1729 564.jpg

And here is the aforementioned mirror:

Le Fleuron 1729 565.jpgLe Fleuron 1729 566.jpgLe Fleuron 1729 567.jpg
 
Fantastic! I have to say that now that I'm also working on decorative carvings, I find your work simply stunning. What you are accomplishing at 1:75 exceeds my output at 1:50.

A question: you have chosen to leave the carvings in their natural state (unstained). It looks fantastic. I have noticed other modelers also leave the boxwood natural. Is there a reason for that? Does boxwood not stain well? Did you ever consider bringing the decorations closer to the color of the pear?
 
Thank you for your very encouraging words. I really appreciate it, your work is amazing.
Boxwood stains about the same as other types of wood. But I decided from the beginning to leave the wood in its own shade. That is why I used five types of wood for my model. The bottom of the ship below the waterline, the entire gallery and channels upwards are cherry. The entire center and interior of the ship is pear. The deck is linden, the dark wood is smoked oak and the decorations are boxwood.
 
Thank you for your very encouraging words. I really appreciate it, your work is amazing.
Boxwood stains about the same as other types of wood. But I decided from the beginning to leave the wood in its own shade. That is why I used five types of wood for my model. The bottom of the ship below the waterline, the entire gallery and channels upwards are cherry. The entire center and interior of the ship is pear. The deck is linden, the dark wood is smoked oak and the decorations are boxwood.
Thank you, my friend. I'm hoping to post some of my new carvings in the next few days(?). I look forward to hearing from you how I can improve my work.
 
Ooh! It's about to get exciting! That lower carving is a beast!

A question if I could... How did you create this curved relief?

Hi Paul, I’d be happy to answer your question.
I made the curved relief out of a single piece of wood using these tools. Sometimes, for larger ornaments, I also use chisels, but mostly just what you see in the picture. After carving it, I soaked it in water and used a wood bending iron (in my case, a soldering iron) to bend it into the desired shape.

Le Fleuron 1729 573.jpg
 
Hi Paul, I’d be happy to answer your question.
I made the curved relief out of a single piece of wood using these tools. Sometimes, for larger ornaments, I also use chisels, but mostly just what you see in the picture. After carving it, I soaked it in water and used a wood bending iron (in my case, a soldering iron) to bend it into the desired shape.

View attachment 627179
Thank you, my friend. Bravely done. I would have expected those small extensions to break even with water and heat.
 
Today I will add only one picture, but it is very important for me. I have finished the entire rear decoration.
It is not perfect, but it is of great value to me. When I chose this boat, I had huge doubts about myself and my skills.
I was convinced that I would not be able to do it even for this decoration.
And today I can proudly shout The work is complete!

Le Fleuron 1729 574.jpg
 
One picture is enough, when it tells a story about the hours of work and talented hands that made it appear so realistic and beautiful!!!

Congratulations on completing this wonderful stern section!!!!

Thanks for sharing this single but wonderful photo!
 
Today I will add only one picture, but it is very important for me. I have finished the entire rear decoration.
It is not perfect, but it is of great value to me. When I chose this boat, I had huge doubts about myself and my skills.
I was convinced that I would not be able to do it even for this decoration.
And today I can proudly shout The work is complete!

View attachment 629383
looks beautiful!!!
 
@KMSvideo
You can truly be proud of what you have achieved.
Your carving work is exceptional — and all of it created without CNC, relying solely on your trained eye, your senses, and your hands. I admire this level of craftsmanship and dedication very much.

I want to congratulate you on reaching this milestone. It is clear how much skill and passion is present in every detail.
Please keep going.
 
Congratulations. You've made a huge milestone. Like Johann said without CNC and with bare hands you can be truly proud of yourself
 
Back
Top