LE FRANÇOIS 1683, scale 1/48, by José

Hi. I want to show you this work I began some years ago, Le François, a small 5th class vessel from the end of the 17th century (1683), author Jean-Claude Lemineur.
Anyway, I've got very slow progress because I can't devote it as much time I'd want.

I'm using pearwood (above all), ebony and boxwood.

The base of the building board is 2 cms thick. The height of the upper jig is positioned on the waterline.

The keel has got four pieces and it's not flat (it's a curiosity), has a slight tilt in bow and stern. There is no false keel in this model.

The rabbets angles are temporarily formed, once the frames have installed the final shape will take place.

All parts of the keel, stem, inner stem and rising-wood are glued.

The stern-post is not glued to the whole, by now, in order to work more comfortable on stern parts.

Frames are formed by three different thicks, at 1/48 scale are four, three and two mm, from the bottom to the top. By now, I'm only making the foot of frames to check how fit on the keel.

Best regards,

Jose

001_building board.JPG

004_building board.JPG

005_stem.JPG

006_stern_post.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Frames. I've only made floor timber and lower futtocks of aft frames in order to check these pieces on the keel and have an idea. Of course, they are not sanded, glued or lined up. In fact, there is an extra thickness because of paper glued on each side.012_b.JPG012_cuadernas de popa.JPG013_cuadernas de popa.JPG

Keelson formed by three parts, with ebony nails, and some inner planking. The thick-stuff of the hold formed by three strakes of planking, the first Deck-clamps and the lowest breasthook by now. Uff, more than 2100 nails later...036_sobrequilla.JPG037_sobrequilla.JPG39_inner planking.JPG42_inner planking.JPG43_inner planking.JPG44_inner planking.JPG

Hallo Jose and a warm welcome here on board of our forum :cool:

Many thanks for starting the building log this very interesting ship. I have also the monographie of the Le François and I can say, that it is really a beautiful ship.
And not often built - attached you can find the description of the monograph offered by ancre

Unbenannt1.JPG

BTW: Very good work you are showing us in your first posts - I am looking forward to see much more of your work Thumbs-Up

Attachments

• lefrancois (1).pdf
    696.6 KB · Views: 48
The first, second and third wales installed and gunports of the first deck too. I've applied a layer of shellac under the first wale, as a test (it's not definitive; more sanding and polished treatment is needed). And also a small detail: square-head nails (at the moment, on the first wale).45_wales_gunports.JPG46_wales_gunports.JPG47_wales_gunports.JPG48_wales_gunports.JPG50_nails.jpg49_nails.jpg

Back