Le Requin 1/48 ZHL model

Just before finishing the Brazzera from Maris Stella, I ordered a new kit. It took almost 2 months to arrive (Aliexpress :) ), but it was worth the wait. I have been looking for a high-end and challenging kit and I think Le Requin from ZHL is exactly that. I expect, it will take quite some endurance (no not the ship) and research (crappy chinese manual), since I did not find too many complete building blogs of this kit.
ZHL put online a nice unpacting movie of the kit (
) so I'll just leave it with some pictures. My first impression is really everything I hoped for. I like that everything is high quality wood (I believe I got the pear version) and the 3D carved parts are very detailed.
Like the previous building log, I will most likely post an update every week. Any help and suggestions are always welcome.

IMG-8465.jpg

IMG-8467.jpg

IMG-8468.jpg

ZHL_1.jpeg

ZHL_2.jpeg

ZHL_3-EDIT.jpg

Just before finishing the Brazzera from Maris Stella, I ordered a new kit. It took almost 2 months to arrive (Aliexpress :) ), but it was worth the wait. I have been looking for a high-end and challenging kit and I think Le Requin from ZHL is exactly that. I expect, it will take quite some endurance (no not the ship) and research (crappy chinese manual), since I did not find too many complete building blogs of this kit.
) so I'll just leave it with some pictures. My first impression is really everything I hoped for. I like that everything is high quality wood (I believe I got the pear version) and the 3D carved parts are very detailed.
Like the previous building log, I will most likely post an update every week. Any help and suggestions are always welcome.

View attachment 376534

View attachment 376535

View attachment 376536

View attachment 376537

View attachment 376538

View attachment 376539
Good morning. I’m excited for you! This is a stunning kit of one of the most beautiful ships. There are a couple of Xebecs being built here and @kidsgalore is building this same kit- just brilliantly. I have a seat in the front row. Awesome start. Cheers Grant

No this is not the Shi Cheng kit but the Lu Hai Quing Kong kit. Same manufactorer as the 1:30 Royal Caroline kit.
These kits are really fantastic but for the experienced builder.

There is also a ebony/boxwood version.

I will follow your build up close.

Just a remark on the pear wood of this kit in general, since I never worked with this type of wood before.
It is quite hard, which makes it more easy to carve with a dremel with a sanding tool than with a knife (like I'm used to). But also makes it possible to carve it in great detail. The color of the wood and its structure look pale, but with some oil treatment it gets a very nice deep brown color. I have added some more pictures to show the quality of this wood.

IMG-8484.jpg

IMG-8487.jpg

IMG-8489.jpg

IMG-8490.jpg

IMG-8491-EDIT.jpg

Just a remark on the pear wood of this kit in general, since I never worked with this type of wood before.
It is quite hard, which makes it more easy to carve with a dremel with a sanding tool than with a knife (like I'm used to). But also makes it possible to carve it in great detail. The color of the wood and its structure look pale, but with some oil treatment it gets a very nice deep brown color. I have added some more pictures to show the quality of this wood.

View attachment 377151

View attachment 377152

View attachment 377153

View attachment 377154

View attachment 377155
Good morning. A very high quality kit. Nice!. Cheers Grant

OMG! And to think that I complain about Italian kits with "Google" English manual translations! Redface
What a project! I wouldn't dare embark on such a project at my age (77) and health challenges. I haven't got that many years left.
Although, I have a long time customer/collector, age 90,who can't yet accept a model case my cabinetmaker and I just completed for him because he'll be out of the country travelling for the summer!o_O

Pete
PS, I too will follow your progress with great interest, I am sure it will be very instructive in all aspects of wooden ship modelling. Enjoy the project!

Last edited:

View attachment 376534

View attachment 376535

View attachment 376536

View attachment 376537

View attachment 376538

View attachment 376539
i am doing the zhl one too and I got this book which is just amazing

View attachment 376534

View attachment 376535

View attachment 376536

View attachment 376537

View attachment 376538

View attachment 376539
Excellent kit , congratulations. I bought the same one from Lu Hai Quing Kong, in pear version , 3D carved parts, Chinese manual ( ??? ) , and I'm planning to start the project in a few month.
All material supplied are in very good quality, except the lines and ropes that I plan to replace with a top supplier to maintain the high quality of the set.
Pls, let me know what type of oil are you testing on the wood, and what are the results. I also think about darkening the wooden pieces , giving them an older appearance, like museum models are.
Thanks,
Luiz Bruno

Thank for the comments. The oil will most likely will use is the same I used at previous built (the Brazzera https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/brazzera-from-marisstella-build-log-completed-build.10769/post-272237)
It is a commercially available protection for tropic wood.
This week, I started with the 'ribs'. The parts need to be glued according to the template and afterwards tapered at both inner and outer side according to a line on the outside of the ribs. The inside of the tapering is adjust to make it parallel to the hull. I hope my pictures clarify it :). So far I have finished almost 10 ribs. 'Only' 75 more to go!

IMG-8520.jpg

IMG-8521.jpg

IMG-8523.jpg

IMG-8525.jpg

Back