Le Requin Xebec ZHL plank on frame kit.

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi gang,

Thought I would kick off a build log of my Xebec Le Requin. This is a 1-48 scale true plank on frame kit, all laser cut.

It has been produced by ZHL models from China. There are a few different versions of this kit available, but this is the full plank on frame version with boxwood decorations. Its quite expensive at over $1,170 US dollars but when you see the quality of the kit contents, I'm afraid it leaves almost every other kit manufacturer from Europe and the U.S behind in value for money.
The timber for the frames, cannon carriages and deck fittings are solid Cherry, with hull and deck planking in Indonesian rainforest timber (which looks like boxwood.)

The wooden decorations are boxwood of the highest quality I have ever seen.

KL11.jpg

I don't pretend to be the worlds greatest modeller, and close up scrutiny of my photos show up many defects and minor errors, but I am enjoying myself and thats all that matters.
My current project is the masts and tackle blocks under construction

.IMG_2219.JPGIMG_2220.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian

Looks like the Xebec going very well.

If you take into account of the price over the period of time to build her, it it cheap entertainment

Also the quality of the timber is excellent

Cheers
Geoff

This is so unbelievable - stunning workmanship. I guess I can only dream of doing something of this caliber.

Donnie

Hi Brian

Finaly I come to the forum again.
You are doing superb job, just keep going.
I believe to know what you're going thru and what problems you have.
Good luck in the future work, and if I can help You in some way, I am here.

barba

Well one thing is better than seeing a photo and that is viewing the model in person

I had the pleasure this morning of doing just that and I like the workmanship that has gone into the model.

The quality of timbers supplied are excelent

It looks superb

Cheers
Geoff

thanks for all the kind comments..... will update some more soon but I broke my wrist a few weeks ago and been inactive. cheers.

only a small update as I have been struggling with a broken hand. Been tying some tackle blocks for the cannon carriages.
Some of these blocks are kit supplied, but like any kit supplied blocks, they are always mediocre in quality.

I did have some better aftermarket boxwood blocks, so I immersed them in ebony wood stain, then tied small hooks to them for the gun carriages.I will cut the end threads off at a later date.

Brian

I am please that you are able to do some work on the part Xebec Le Requin. I know I have said this before, but I was lucky enough to see the build a few weeks ago. I hope to get back to Brian's in the next few weeks and see the progress. I also wish that I could build to the same level but realize that it only comes with a lot of experience and that is one thing Brian loves to share with other Ship Model Builder like myself.

Cheers
Geoff

Back