Le Requin Xebec ZHL plank on frame kit.

Brian
I probably don't need to suggest this, but I have learned over the years of model building, that assumption can be a dangerous commodity.
I'm sure you will not experiment with the actual sails, but with a piece of scrap. Not intending to insult your intelligence at all.
You may or may not like the effect.

Dave

Seattle

I have read somewhere that the coffe and teare acidic and over a period of time will affect the material.

Hello Brian,perhaps you should look into to use fabric dye,you can buy them everywhere

https://www.ritdye.com/techniques/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzYDMBRA1EiwAwCv6Jk0HovIsTWgZ_2vkuc_jtlU4Zhgc2NP5xW5gHWtVwj4G0PKxVd_x6BoC004QAvD_BwE

http://www.dylon.co.uk/products/dyes/fabric-dye-for-hand-use/

Lovely work Brian, you do a nice clean sharp job, that rope you have there, who makes it,

best regards John.

John

Brian bought some rope off Alexey Domanoff. Here is a link to the post on it.

http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1208

Cheers
Geoff

G'day Brian
I've been wondering what happened to you on the other site. I guess ' Another one bites the dusy'.soon there will be no members. Lol. I haven't been sent my marching orders yet!
Well mate, this is an incredible, no bloody incredible job you are doing and what else can I say that hasn't been said before.
The kit is amazing as well

As I told John, I only found this site and few days ago and I'm very impressed with everything that I have seen. One question though, are there any 'like' button, if so what do I press?
Havagoodone mate and I'll keep in touch
Greg

Hi Greg

Yes this is another example of a high quality ZHL kit being put together extremely well by Brian.

As for the like button unfortunately "No". It has been suggested but it is not possible.

Cheers
Geoff

By the way, with Donnie's permission. I just wanted to clear up an issue about copyright which hasn't been addressed properly.

I am not an apologist for the Chinese ripping off kits, but not everything from Chinese manufacturers can be labeled as pirated.

I own these books which I purchased from Ancre plans for additional reference to building my model. Most instructions for this kit are in Chinese, but any modeller with experience will only need the line drawings and assembly diagrams.

While it is evident to me that the kit I am building is based from the Ancre plans, I have to say that in owning these books I can compare the lines from Ancre and the kit manufacturers drawings and there are differences in many ways. For example the Chinese version has clearer rigging diagrams and additional information that the Ancre plans do not. The assembly of the stem pieces and stern are different to the original plans, and there are multiple variations to the original monograph. My model also features a basic winch which is sadly omitted from the Ancre plans.

I am no copyright expert but more than 10 % variation in plans from the original cannot be piracy.

Brian

International Copyright

There is no such thing as an "international copyright" that will automatically protect an author's writings throughout the world. Protection against unauthorized use in a particular country depends on the national laws of that country.

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff,
I didn't want to start an argument on copyright and jam up my build log, but needed to make a comment about all this Chinese bashing of a few high end model ship kits.

Hi gang,
I decided to not dye the sail material and have fitted the first sail to the yard and fitted it to the foremast today. I am starting to run low on fine rigging thread, so better crank up my ropewalk machine and make some myself.IMG_2333.JPG

Brian

She is coming along nicely. Great workmanship and a great kit makes a great model.

Cheers
Geoff

G'day Brian, that bottom rope looks a lot neater and tighter, what sort of length can you make, are you twisting the rope back on itself or just twisting it together.

best regards John.

thanks John and Geoff,
its a proper ropewalk action and twists the rope back on itself John. It has a small electric motor and a reverse speed so I can lay left and right ropes. I am limited to the hight of my workshop ceiling, but 2-3 metre lengths are fine for my use.

Heres a more advanced version of my ropewalk. I have his first prototype from a few years ago.

http://shipworkshop.com/products/tools/prosak-30

Hello Brian,do you know what material Dormanoff using for his ropes,I need to order soon some ropes.Where is he selling that basic ropewalk,I can't find it on his site.

Zoly,
I would buy his deluxe planetary ropewalk if I had my time over again. Its a third the price of the Byrnes ropewalk and much easier to use. A mate of mine has the Byrnes ropewalk and regrets buying it.

I think my basic ropewalk is discontinued now, but you can email Alexey and ask him.

And for you question of what material Alexey uses for his ropes, its Gutterman polyester thread I believe.

Back