Le Rochefort Build Log by Donnie

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

I ordered Plans on Saturday 11-26-2022.
This would be my first legitimate scratch build from choosing the lumber to following plans from ANCRE. I ordered the basic Plan set of 1/36 and the Booklet that comes with it. Last year, I ordered the Adrian Sorola book and read through almost all of it, and looks like a nice guide from start to finish. But, I will still need the experience of others to help complete it. The plans should arrive soon and I will issue another post on it. I will then study the plans to determine the B.O.M. (Bill-of-Material) and make decision on whom to purchase from.
Thank you kindly

Donald

Last edited:
I'm a little late, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your new Group Build, Donnie. You know I am very fond with the SoS Bluenose Group Build. A lot of support from the fellow builders and no question remains unanswered. With is nice to pull up together in this new group.
Regards, Peter

My LeR plans/booklet came in the mail - so, now, I have to determine my wood selection. I had been thinking about this, but I have a few other things going on that have kept me from making that decision (like other models, life, work, family, and such, and certainly where I want to buy my wood from).

Ok, so, it seems that selecting the "type" of wood is not so much a problem. It is trying to figure out the sizes. For example, on page 86 of the LeR booklet, I am already confused and haven't even started yet - now that is bad - :(

So, I am looking at the title "Scantlings of the wooden Framing":
Keel 10 pouces (270mm) depth, and 9 pouces (243mm) thick.

Now if pouces is "inches" then 10 inches does not equal 270mm !! Neither does 9 pouces equal 243mm. The only thing I can think of is that these are RAW measuresments (gross) knowing that I will have extra to cut and that this is not actual. In other words, the measurements are to give extra wood to make sure your part has extra area (wood) to work with.

Go by Adrian’s estimate in his book. Trying to convert the pouces is ?? I also posted the amounts he gave to me in a PM.

Ok, so, it seems that selecting the "type" of wood is not so much a problem. It is trying to figure out the sizes. For example, on page 86 of the LeR booklet, I am already confused and haven't even started yet - now that is bad - :(

So, I am looking at the title "Scantlings of the wooden Framing":
Keel 10 pouces (270mm) depth, and 9 pouces (243mm) thick.

Now if pouces is "inches" then 10 inches does not equal 270mm !! Neither does 9 pouces equal 243mm. The only thing I can think of is that these are RAW measuresments (gross) knowing that I will have extra to cut and that this is not actual. In other words, the measurements are to give extra wood to make sure your part has extra area (wood) to work with.
Please take a look at this topic, where we discussed the "Pouce"

Hi Donnie!

The Americans calculate in "Inches" (German word for American inches is "Zoll"), the English in "Inches" = 2,54 centimeter each.
And the foot = 30,48 centimeter.

At that time, the French calculated in Pied and Pouce. Today of course, also in meters and centimeter.
1 Pied de roi (King foot) or 12 Pouce= 32,48 centimeter
1 Pouce
(French inch or Zoll) or 1/12 Pied = 2,707 centimeter.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I apologize for the question. I’m a little confused about the questions concerning measurements. Wouldn’t you just take the measurements directly from the plans?

Thanks,
Bill

Uwe Ok, I read that thread that Uwe shows. I understand now. The info in the LeR book is from older mm standard.

Bill-R,
I was just trying to come up with a Bill of Material list for my order. Yes, Bill, I can take measurements off the plans. However, unless I am really missing something, I would have to go through all the sheets of plans to try and figure out all the stock that I needed and that seems like a long process and I am worried that I would be ordering the wrong sizes.

Thomas, thank you for your information and advice.

Tony,
I will take a look at your PM that you posted. I remember you mentioning an error in the Adrian book.

Thank you all for the help. As soon as I can get over this detail, I will be moving onward !!!

Back