"Start-up Conversations" and "Build Support-Tips, Advice" here.

Hello Tony, I was wondering, do you know the real dimensions of the vessel?
They are known and also mentioned in the monograph by Gérard Delacroix

The Yacht Le Rochefort
The Rochefort port archives have preserved two plans of yachts called Le Rochefort. These plans
represent two distinct boats: the first is a plan by Geslin le cadet, the second is signed by Hubert
Penevert. There is also a set of dimensions dated 1787 which would be applicable to the second
Rochefort.

The plan by Geslin le cadet
The first plan is that of Geslin le cadet and is quite simplified without decoration or equipment
shown. This boat was built in 1750. The text on the plan shows that the yacht had been rebuilt in
1775 and demolished in 1786.
The information on the plan indicates that the boat measured 54 pieds in length (17.54 m) from
stem to stern at the level of the deck, 14 pieds 8 pouces (4.76 m) in width, and with a depth of
7 pieds 6 pouces (2.44 m).

The plan by H. Penevert
The second plan is signed by Hubert Penevert and concerns the plan of a yacht also called Le
Rochefort date 25 September 1786. It was drawn up at the same time as the demolition of Geslin’s
yacht and was a replacement. The design drew its inspiration largely from its predecessor, mostly
with its curves which are very similar.
Only the area below the waterline is different, presenting a narrower shape and less sheer.
The length, in the same way, is identical at 54 pieds (17.54 m) while the width outside of the
frames is a little greater at 15 pieds (4,87 m) and the depth of the hull also greater at 7 pieds 8
pouces (2.49 m).

They are known and also mentioned in the monograph by Gérard Delacroix

The Yacht Le Rochefort
The Rochefort port archives have preserved two plans of yachts called Le Rochefort. These plans
represent two distinct boats: the first is a plan by Geslin le cadet, the second is signed by Hubert
Penevert. There is also a set of dimensions dated 1787 which would be applicable to the second
Rochefort.

The plan by Geslin le cadet
The first plan is that of Geslin le cadet and is quite simplified without decoration or equipment
shown. This boat was built in 1750. The text on the plan shows that the yacht had been rebuilt in
1775 and demolished in 1786.
The information on the plan indicates that the boat measured 54 pieds in length (17.54 m) from
stem to stern at the level of the deck, 14 pieds 8 pouces (4.76 m) in width, and with a depth of
7 pieds 6 pouces (2.44 m).

The plan by H. Penevert
The second plan is signed by Hubert Penevert and concerns the plan of a yacht also called Le
Rochefort date 25 September 1786. It was drawn up at the same time as the demolition of Geslin’s
yacht and was a replacement. The design drew its inspiration largely from its predecessor, mostly
with its curves which are very similar.
Only the area below the waterline is different, presenting a narrower shape and less sheer.
The length, in the same way, is identical at 54 pieds (17.54 m) while the width outside of the
frames is a little greater at 15 pieds (4,87 m) and the depth of the hull also greater at 7 pieds 8
pouces (2.49 m).
Hello Uwe, very kind, thank you for the information, I was asking to have an image of the conformation of the vessel. Have a nice day, Frank

Hello Uwe, very kind, thank you for the information, I was asking to have an image of the conformation of the vessel. Have a nice day, Frank
The monograph was done by Gérard Delacroix - and his research work and also the documentation is extremly accurate and detailed - for me one, or maybe THE best author of monographs

The monograph was done by Gérard Delacroix - and his research work and also the documentation is extremly accurate and detailed - for me one, or maybe THE best author of monographs
Mr. Gérard Delacroix is a guarantee of the modeling field for which I have a lot of consideration

Tonight I will create all the sub forums
Hallo Zoly,
we would also need the subforum for

Project Main Support Page​

where we can add topics like the planset review and book review, maybe information of the real ship and also general construction supports which are not related to the individual logs. Here we can step by step also copy interesting posts from building logs as general guide-lines or small tutorials etc....

Hallo Zoly,
we would also need the subforum for

Project Main Support Page​

where we can add topics like the planset review and book review, maybe information of the real ship and also general construction supports which are not related to the individual logs. Here we can step by step also copy interesting posts from building logs as general guide-lines or small tutorials etc....
That sounds very good Uwe, the more information we have the better for all involved and those who will follow. It seems that the La Rochefort project has a lot of interest.

When you START your Build Log, please make note of it here so that I can add your Group Badge to your Signature.
1669919612379.png

After all the new logs do we know what the board requirements are, in cherry or other?

John

there is no particular requirement as you can choose the wood you wish. However, if you wish to follow Tobias' choices of wood. This is his:
Now for the types of wood I would like to use:
- Pear or (Swiss pear) for the hull, interior and the planks outside.
- Ebony for parts of the planks and various applications.
- Boxwood (Castello) applications.
- Tulipwood (magnolia) or American maple for the deck planks.

After all the new logs do we know what the board requirements are, in cherry or other?
This is the amount. It’s in the book. Also a PM between me and Adrian. There’s a discrepancy in the thickness of the keel as you can see. We don’t know why so choose your own thickness.

Attachments

• E3411AB4-7839-4947-BCB3-6758EE6F9730.jpeg
    E3411AB4-7839-4947-BCB3-6758EE6F9730.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 255E6B41-3F3F-4D4B-B3BF-3D7F43DF59F2.png
    255E6B41-3F3F-4D4B-B3BF-3D7F43DF59F2.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 10
This is the amount. It’s in the book. Also a PM between me and Adrian. There’s a discrepancy in the thickness of the keel as you can see. We don’t know why so choose your own thickness.
Good morning, these various dimensions may be due to the shape of the tapered keel, it is my thought

Hello Tony,
I would imagine that it is simply a printing error, the thickness of the keel, as well as all the dimensions, can be taken from the plan, then you are on the safe side.

Sì, esatto, è un errore di stampa. Perché in un'altra pagina elenca 6.75.
Sorry, in the monograph there is a list of all the details and the real dimensions of the vessel, and from there you can check

For everyones information - this PM can be converted to a "THREAD" within the Group Build Topics. So, probably in time after the Group is well established, I might convert this PM into a Thread.

I’ve nearly finished Le Rochefort (1/36 scale), at the rigging stage now.
Regarding the overall cost of the project it’s hard for me to say.
I had left over Cherry timber to use.
Extras I purchased included 3D printed anchors (4, but only 2 needed), Namebadge for the stern, decoration for the Stem and mast hoops from Szkutnik.
(About $150 Australian).
In the end I only needed 2 large anchors and the nameplate. I made a mistake with the Stem decorations and didn’t let Szkutnik know I needed a Left and Right pattern printed. I received only R sided decorations!
I 3D printed my own mast hoops which were more to my liking, a little more rounded in the edge.

I also had to order Rope, Blocks, hooks and cleats from Crafty Sailor.

Excellent service I have to say from Szkutnik and Crafty Sailor.

Another expense was the pinning of the frames. I used carbon fibre which was v strong and left a nice black spot. However this was an expensive way of doing it. I read somewhere else recently, that someone used black fishing line, which sounds like a good idea to try.

BTW I didn’t use brass pins as suggested in the instructional book provided, didn’t see it as particularly important to me.

I have to say I do like buying tools, and by the end of the project I ended up with quite a collection including Proxxon milling machine, thicknesses, planer, and lots of other bibs and bobs! Oh and yet another bandsaw, making 4 in my collection! They certainly made life easier.5AD8C217-85F0-462B-86DB-6D247A87673F.jpeg

How about putting your entire build and pics someplace with a title so we can find it. You have posts everywhere but not all in one place.

Back