Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I am just looking at the other builds of the SR gun carriages and they all seem to be in natural wood colour. But hey, if your daughter likes red, who are we to argue?
I guess I was mistaken. Just the kit instructions show red. Not @paulb or @Gilbertm. But if my daughter wanted glitter on the sails, I’d go with it, with a little heartburn.

But if my daughter wanted glitter on the sails, I’d go with it, with a little heartburn.
Dear Dr. Fordyce,

Having now gone back and read every single post in every single build log on the Ships of Scale forum - we are pleased to announce sir that your recent post has been selected as the singular best post ever posted in the forum since its inception. Congratulations! Watch your mail - we will be sending a certificate suitable for framing.

The Committee That Votes on Stuff Like This

Dear Dr. Fordyce,

Having now gone back and read every single post in every single build log on the Ships of Scale forum - we are pleased to announce sir that your recent post has been selected as the singular best post ever posted in the forum since its inception. Congratulations! Watch your mail - we will be sending a certificate suitable for framing.

The Committee That Votes on Stuff Like This
...but when Vic becomes the Dr.? Did I miss anything?

Brother ... don't get me started on ropes, coils, hooks, eyes, carriages and cannons .... I am with you on this one ...

@Jimsky, I just now discovered your tutorial log about making trucks. Very interesting. Unfortunately, I have no drill press, and some of the work on the carriages is beyond my capabilities at the present. And my trucks are already made. A better quality of wood would have made them better, however. I will definitely keep your ideas in mind if I ever attempt another ship with guns. I think I can still use some of your ideas on this model.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...your-cannon-carriages.7342/page-4#post-177992

@Jimsky, I just now discovered your tutorial log about making trucks. Very interesting. Unfortunately, I have no drill press, and some of the work on the carriages is beyond my capabilities at the present. And my trucks are already made. A better quality of wood would have made them better, however. I will definitely keep your ideas in mind if I ever attempt another ship with guns. I think I can still use some of your ideas on this model.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...your-cannon-carriages.7342/page-4#post-177992
Greetings from Brooklyn, Vic. There are many ways to make cannon carriages and their trucks. Some of the techniques will require tooling, but others, are kinda simplified and don't yield the quality and final appliance. For example, the way you made your tracks from a dowel, is the most common of doing weels. I would say it is a classic method. With practice, you will achieve great results!
Because you are entered a new level of modeling called 'kit bashing', you may add some essential tools at your disposal. If you don't have any rotary tools, get one of those. Dremel or Proxxon will be your choice. We had a great discussion recently about what rotary tool to buy. But carefully plan as depending on your choice, the next tool suggestion is a drill stand. Both Dremel and Proxxon have drill stands for their rotary tools. A combination of a rotary tool and the drill stand will make a very important tool - Drill press. Using this tool, you can drill cannon tracks with precision right in the middle. Obviously, if you have a budget you can simply buy a drill press but...

Dremel drill stand and rotary tool may cost you ~ $100.00 (price based on the 3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool)

203040434A.jpg
61+TxIgy8DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is just an example of how you can improve the way you work. I am NO WAY want this post routed to the discussion of what tool is better: Proxon or Dremel. Everyone has their own preference\budget on brand\tool they will buy. If you have enough budget (is it possible, enough????? :p:D:D) then you would buy a drill press, to begin with. ;)

is beyond my capabilities at the present.
As for the present capabilities, you will be surprised by your own capabilities while using the right tools for the given job. Don't underestimate your capabilities! We learn from each other, and it definitely works!

Greetings from Brooklyn, Vic. There are many ways to make cannon carriages and their trucks. Some of the techniques will require tooling, but others, are kinda simplified and don't yield the quality and final appliance. For example, the way you made your tracks from a dowel, is the most common of doing weels. I would say it is a classic method. With practice, you will achieve great results!
Because you are entered a new level of modeling called 'kit bashing', you may add some essential tools at your disposal. If you don't have any rotary tools, get one of those. Dremel or Proxxon will be your choice. We had a great discussion recently about what rotary tool to buy. But carefully plan as depending on your choice, the next tool suggestion is a drill stand. Both Dremel and Proxxon have drill stands for their rotary tools. A combination of a rotary tool and the drill stand will make a very important tool - Drill press. Using this tool, you can drill cannon tracks with precision right in the middle. Obviously, if you have a budget you can simply buy a drill press but...

Dremel drill stand and rotary tool may cost you ~ $100.00 (price based on the 3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool)

203040434A.jpg
61+TxIgy8DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is just an example, of how you can improve the way you work. I am NO WAY want this post routed to the discussion of what tool is better: Proxon or Dremel. Everyone has their own preference\budget on brand\tool they will buy. If you have enough budget (is it possible, enough????? :p:D:D) then you would buy a drill press, to begin with. ;)

As for the present capabilities, you will be surprised by your own capabilities while using the right tools for the given job. Don't underestimate your capabilities! We learn from each other, and it definitely works!
Thanks, Jim. Then I have to learn how to use them.

I'll show you my old photos of the model assembly.I hope you will understand everything from them.Or are you interested in the wiring of gun hoists?I threw out those misunderstandings in the form of cannon carriages.I made my own.I made guns for the tank.The carriages in front were slightly shortened.At the trunks with a long tail, I cut off these tails to hell.With a file, I formed a wingrad.I painted it with a black matte paint.Made a pair of trousers.

Attachments

• IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for this. I knew you had cut off the backs and built your own carriages. I was wondering why you didn’t use the double train rigging to haul the guns back. Many of the pictures I’ve seen have French guns with two sets of rigging that go to the center of the ship’s deck.

Back