Let's get more people into wooden ship building!

It's one of the oldest and most rewarding hobbies in the world. Used to be huge. But then came plastic kits, then video games, internet, smart phones... and our world got smaller.

Some people think "I'll never be able to build something like that". Well, we don't believe in it. And we put our money where our mouth is.

Here is the deal: You buy the Dory - with or without tools - build it and send us a picture of you with your masterpiece. We will GIVE YOU BACK everything you spent in store credit.
Chances are you will build wooden ships for the rest of your life.

If you build plastic kits, now it's the opportunity to give it a try. And if you already are a wood modeler, help us spread the word.

Let's make wooden ship building great again ;)!

Buy The Dory Here

_Free_dory_website_2.png

A great Idea

and we here in ShipsOfScale will be happy to host all the modelers of the Dory (and other models) and give them the platform to show there projects in building logs etc.
We will try to help all beginners with hints and tipps in order to get satisfying results. Maybe - just brainstorming - a good time to make a new group build

A great Idea

and we here in ShipsOfScale will be happy to host all the modelers of the Dory (and other models) and give them the platform to show there projects in building logs etc.
We will try to help all beginners with hints and tipps in order to get satisfying results. Maybe - just brainstorming - a good time to make a new group build
Perfect! I'll make sure all the new modelers know that they can find a welcoming place here.

I agree that each of us need to try to encourage new ship model hobbyists. The hobby is indeed shrinking. We used to find robust choices of kits and parts at the local hobby store…no longer…everything is now on line. If we collectively neglect to encourage new enthusiasts the hobby will shrink further with even on line sources fading away. I have a few beginner kits that I got just to have on the shelf in case I can encourage someone to try the hobby. I say to them I will gift them a beginner kit and a few tools to give the hobby a try. Worth my investment to me…and somehow their eyes light up getting a kit to try for free…. :)

Last edited:
I agree that each of us need to try to encourage new ship model hobbyists. The hobby is indeed shrinking. We used to find robust choices of kits and parts at the local hobby store…no longer…everything is now on line. If we collectively neglect to encourage new enthusiasts the hobby will shrink further with even on line sources fading away. I have a few beginner kits that I got just to have on the shelf in case I can encourage someone to try the hobby. I say to them I will gift them a beginner kit and a few tools to give the hobby a try. Worth my investment to me…and somehow their eyes light up getting a kit to try for free…. :)
Jim, thanks for your initiative. We need more "missionaries" such as yourself! Such a beautiful hobby, it's a shame we don't have more people coming to it. We could've given up and focus on trendy, fast selling products - like Bandai and such - but our hearts are with wood models. So we keep creating new kits to keep you guys going. Now we are giving special attention to entry level kits, such as this Dory and the Midwest kits, that we brought back to market. And making more combos of kits+tools to make it easier for the newcomers. Doing all we can to make this hobby thrive!

It's one of the oldest and most rewarding hobbies in the world. Used to be huge. But then came plastic kits, then video games, internet, smart phones... and our world got smaller.

Some people think "I'll never be able to build something like that". Well, we don't believe in it. And we put our money where our mouth is.

Here is the deal: You buy the Dory - with or without tools - build it and send us a picture of you with your masterpiece. We will GIVE YOU BACK everything you spent in store credit.

If you build plastic kits, now it's the opportunity to give it a try. And if you already are a wood modeler, help us spread the word.

Buy The Dory Here

View attachment 414084
Hello shipmates! Am soon to start my first plank on frame model after buy in some cheap Chinese kits. Am awaiting various accessories and tools but am researching my little heart out!
Am really looking forward to the challenge and this site has been both a goldmine and inspiration so thankyou chaps and crack on!

Buy The Dory Here

View attachment 414084This is a good idea!

Buy The Dory Here

View attachment 414084
This is a good idea.

Mystic Seaport Ship Modelers, Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, Ct. (https://mysticseaport.org) hosts an annual exhibit, May - October, where Club Members display their projects. The Exhibit is held in The John Gardner Boathouse located between the Shipyard and Charles W. Morgan and is open to all Museum Visitors. Daily, the Exhibit is staffed by Club Members who interact with the Visitors, literally thousands visit this Exhibit. The Seaport is considering making this a year-round Exhibit.

Many Visitors have questions regarding getting into the hobby and we will answer as best we can and provide a photocopy handout of Ship Modeling websites and resources. We do our best to promote the Hobby and oftentimes are providing a free marketing resource by recommending specific distributors, manufactures and kits. It would be naive to think a Visitor takes our advice and orders a kit as soon as they get home. They may at some future date.

I believe the Hobby will grow. Demographically growth will generate from the 55+ age group. This is the group that asks questions and joins our Club. A 15-16-year-old likely does not have the mindset, patience and or resources to drop +$100 on a kit and tools. However, adults 55+, in or approaching retirement have more disposable income and leisure time to devote to a new Hobby. This age group is consistently growing and living longer.

Perhaps manufacturers and distributors could reach out to some 55+ organizations for Marketing feedback? Should this be the target market? Looking at the pictures posted of those holding a newly completed Dory above, it doesn't appear any are in their teen's.

Hate to rain on anyone's optimistic view on reviving wood ship modelling. Todays youth are not building models. They do not fly R/C airplanes, (those that do are flying mostly prebuilt out of the box) and they most certainly are not driving R/C submarines. The "Tri State" R/C shows are dwindling, as well as the clubs! Even the heyday of R/C cars has come and gone!
I ask...how old is the youngest wood ship builder on this forum? I was modelling plastic kits since 4 years old, attempted my first Guillows balsa plane kit at 6!
Back in 1983 bought my first boat wood kit (dory) from a Model Expo add in Smithsonian via mail order. Yes, it hooked me! a few more builds along the years, and today I have 6 wood kits in the box, yet to be started, with a Mamoli Alabama on the workbench, hull planking & deck completed. At 67 now, will I ever get to the remaining boxed kits yet to be built? I think not!
Back in 1984 or so I visited Model Expo to buy my second kit after the dory build. Mr. Frank Mastini was behind a counter across the opposite side of the service counter. He was building a Bluenose as a demo. At the service counter, (I believe it was Marc), I was directed to Mr. Mastini for coaching on my second kit! Even back then, I was not waiting on line in the subsequent Saturdays I spent driving to NJ for Mr. Mastini's build coaching. I pretty much had his lessons all to myself!
Now, to be fair Model Expo was in a corporate park, and they were doing largely mail order, but the premise was easy to access with little effort and very well set up as a point of sale retail shop within the warehouse. Still, all that being said, I was surprised at how few people were taking advantage of Mr. Mastini's coaching!
All here will agree...this hobby consumes much time, yielding great rewards for the effort. How does one find the time in youth between work, social life & family? I largely put this hobby on the backburner until I was in my late 40's re-start...and that was slow going!

I am one of those people pictured with my finished Dory and am out of my teens, although my wife claims otherwise! I have been making plastic models for many years and ran into wooden boats almost accidentally while watching you tube. Many of the tools and techniques from plastic modeling are useful for this hobby. If I may suggest model shipways may want to consider an ad in the AARP magazine and/or plastic modeling magazines.

Their offer for store credit for building the Dory made me pull the trigger, and I am glad I did. I am now building the Norwegian sailing pram, and considering what I should try next.

The SOS website and build logs have been invaluable in helping me build the models and I feel much like I am part of a congenial group!

Thank you all!

Back