Let's get more people into wooden ship building!

........I believe the Hobby will grow. Demographically growth will generate from the 55+ age group. This is the group that asks questions and joins our Club. A 15-16-year-old likely does not have the mindset, patience and or resources to drop +$100 on a kit and tools. However, adults 55+, in or approaching retirement have more disposable income and leisure time to devote to a new Hobby. This age group is consistently growing and living longer.
Perhaps manufacturers and distributors could reach out to some 55+ organizations for Marketing feedback? Should this be the target market? Looking at the pictures posted of those holding a newly completed Dory above, it doesn't appear any are in their teen's.
I was writing as quint posted. I do see optimism in what he says, at least at the 55+ level. I agree, that demographic is promising! What is great is that Ships of Scale community is ready to assist, as it has been, helping all with success in this hobby! I am happy to see Model Shipways thinking outside the box, and utilizing this forum as a platform to attract new builders to the hobby! I think this idea can be further expanded in the future with Model Shipways and Ships of Scale teaming up!
I have one idea, just a thought....Model Shipways can take the most popular kit they have sold this holiday season, and work with Donny in getting a group build going for that kit. Model Shipways can then inform the buyers of those kits to log onto SOS and participate in the build! Seems like a win-win...or am missing something?

...... I have been making plastic models for many years and ran into wooden boats almost accidentally while watching you tube. Many of the tools and techniques from plastic modeling are useful for this hobby. If I may suggest model shipways may want to consider an ad in the AARP magazine and/or plastic modeling magazines.
Their offer for store credit for building the Dory made me pull the trigger, and I am glad I did. I am now building the Norwegian sailing pram, and considering what I should try next.
The SOS website and build logs have been invaluable in helping me build the models and I feel much like I am part of a congenial group!

Thank you all!
Great post! Many of us were long time plastic builders...and I agree, many skills acquired in plastic modelling make transition to wood all the easier...or put another way, less daunting!

Hello Yes, it's a shame that model building, especially wooden ships, is declining. I build and restore ships with GRP hulls and why, because I enjoy it, because I would like to bring old ships that were thought to be dead back onto the water, because I'm more interested in motor ships, not that I don't think wooden ships are beautiful, I'm looking I like to see them because, I admit it honestly, I lack the craftsmanship and because I don't have that much space in the house to set up one or two ships. The ships I build can also be in my construction trailer or in the garage. And you can believe me, for example, when I drive the deep-sea tug OCEANIC in our castle moat, it doesn't take long until the first spectators start watching and if there are children there, I like to let them use the remote control. I've tried planking a hull before and failed miserably. Everything has to fit. You have to be interested in it, you have to have some mechanical skills, you have to have space and you have to have the necessary change. Last but not least, I would like to say that I am really happy to have found this forum and to be able to be a part of it. I like being with you and with you.

i think this a great idea the manufacture and dealer working with the ship modeling community rather than just producing products. For the longest time model ship building was a builder in his shop by himself building away. Now we are more of an on line community where we can share our hobby.
it is about time we all come out of our shops and say "here we are" and we build model ships.
Do i need to build a beginner kit? nope not at all but my order is in and i wait for my kit to arrive. I do not plan on sitting here in my little shop and build this model i want to do an on line build.

For years the biggest issue with building instructions they seem to always fall short or leave you hanging with a now what! i think it is time for interactive building instruction with others as well as the manufacture who made the kit.

it would seem logical if Ships of scale took build logs such as the Dory and now that we can create PDF files create a reference library then Model Expo can add to their instructions or a note in the kit for further information go to Ships of Scale PDF library. This idea is interactive a builder can actually post a question to other builders, you can't do that with printed instructions.

Mystic Seaport Ship Modelers, Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, Ct. (https://mysticseaport.org) hosts an annual exhibit, May - October, where Club Members display their projects. The Exhibit is held in The John Gardner Boathouse located between the Shipyard and Charles W. Morgan and is open to all Museum Visitors. Daily, the Exhibit is staffed by Club Members who interact with the Visitors, literally thousands visit this Exhibit. The Seaport is considering making this a year-round Exhibit.

Many Visitors have questions regarding getting into the hobby and we will answer as best we can and provide a photocopy handout of Ship Modeling websites and resources. We do our best to promote the Hobby and oftentimes are providing a free marketing resource by recommending specific distributors, manufactures and kits. It would be naive to think a Visitor takes our advice and orders a kit as soon as they get home. They may at some future date.

I believe the Hobby will grow. Demographically growth will generate from the 55+ age group. This is the group that asks questions and joins our Club. A 15-16-year-old likely does not have the mindset, patience and or resources to drop +$100 on a kit and tools. However, adults 55+, in or approaching retirement have more disposable income and leisure time to devote to a new Hobby. This age group is consistently growing and living longer.

Perhaps manufacturers and distributors could reach out to some 55+ organizations for Marketing feedback? Should this be the target market? Looking at the pictures posted of those holding a newly completed Dory above, it doesn't appear any are in their teen's.
Quint, that's exactly how I think: 55+ is the target audience, for the reasons you already gave.

I spend a lot of time thinking on how to reach these people. Ideas are very welcome!

I ask...how old is the youngest wood ship builder on this forum?
Maybe I'm the youngest modeler on this forum? I'm 19 years old and I'm currently building my first model, if you want you can view:

It's one of the oldest and most rewarding hobbies in the world. Used to be huge. But then came plastic kits, then video games, internet, smart phones... and our world got smaller.

Some people think "I'll never be able to build something like that". Well, we don't believe in it. And we put our money where our mouth is.

Here is the deal: You buy the Dory - with or without tools - build it and send us a picture of you with your masterpiece. We will GIVE YOU BACK everything you spent in store credit.
Chances are you will build wooden ships for the rest of your life.

If you build plastic kits, now it's the opportunity to give it a try. And if you already are a wood modeler, help us spread the word.

Let's make wooden ship building great again ;)!

Buy The Dory Here

View attachment 414084
Good offer, although I can't take advantage of it. Respect to you for attracting people to modelling. Your company makes some nice sets - I particularly like "Mayflower" and "Pride of Baltimore II", although the other sets are also very nice. ;)

Good offer, although I can't take advantage of it. Respect to you for attracting people to modelling. Your company makes some nice sets - I particularly like "Mayflower" and "Pride of Baltimore II", although the other sets are also very nice. ;)
Hello, Dave! I guess your are the youngest member, indeed. If you could send me a picture of you and your latest build, I'll be glad to make it a Facebook post and tell people that there is still hope in humankind :)

Hello, Dave! I guess your are the youngest member, indeed. If you could send me a picture of you and your latest build, I'll be glad to make it a Facebook post and tell people that there is still hope in humankind :)
Hallo! My caravel model is not finished yet. When I finish it, I will be happy to send my photo along with the model.

It's one of the oldest and most rewarding hobbies in the world. Used to be huge. But then came plastic kits, then video games, internet, smart phones... and our world got smaller.

Some people think "I'll never be able to build something like that". Well, we don't believe in it. And we put our money where our mouth is.

Here is the deal: You buy the Dory - with or without tools - build it and send us a picture of you with your masterpiece. We will GIVE YOU BACK everything you spent in store credit.
Chances are you will build wooden ships for the rest of your life.

If you build plastic kits, now it's the opportunity to give it a try. And if you already are a wood modeler, help us spread the word.

Let's make wooden ship building great again ;)!

Buy The Dory Here

View attachment 414084
Hey I'm brand new to the hobby i'm really excited about this you'll see an order from me later today! I'm 38 and am getting into model ship building for a few reasons but slowing down and having work that requires quiet focus on real things that aren't in a screen is what is most attractive. I'm restoring a fiberglass sail boat and also want to build some full size wooden boats in the future, modeling seems like a good way tp wrap your head around it Modeling is beautiful and intricate and the finished results seem incredible. To say nothing of the process. It's really great of Model Shipways for this offer. I was told not to buy kits as you will inherit them from old guys if you join a club( my local is philadelphia, i haven't made it to a meeting yet though) but I'm gonna make an exception. Thanks for everyone who is out here and to all those inget assistance from in thf future. It's really excellent and important this forum exists.

Last edited:
Well, I definitely fall squarely into the stereotypical first-timer... 53 and have been scale modeling since my early teens. I agree with a lot of points made here, especially the patience & skills brought forth from the modeling world. I can say that the younger family-man me would not have had the time, patience, disposable income, etc to do this. You drop a couple hundred hours into a scale model, and you can have a sharp looking piece, but I'm 150 hours into my first build, and I'm just starting my second layer planking... talk about a "cultural" shift.
As mentioned in another thread, thanks to ModelExpo for sneaking a catalog into an Amazon order. It had always been a little splinter in the back of my mind, but that prompted me to finally give it a try... believe it or not, at the urging of the Admiral, when she saw me flipping through said catalog (I think I was drooling).

Well I am greatly inspired by what I have read here. Making ships really goes back a very, very long time. Does it start with that little twig or piece of wood we put to sail on the pond, or in a puddle and just find it so very exiting to see how it goes. What a glorious sight indeed. And then that first model, or even toy boat. Yes where indeed does it all start? I build plastic, but would love to do a wooden ship. My wife says that she likes them (the beautiful boats and ships with the impressive sails) more than the "grey ones". So, I do have support at the right place :). You all have inspired me toput my hand at a wooden ship, and suddenly 2024 looks full af adventure. Thank you!!!

Well I am greatly inspired by what I have read here. Making ships really goes back a very, very long time. Does it start with that little twig or piece of wood we put to sail on the pond, or in a puddle and just find it so very exiting to see how it goes. What a glorious sight indeed. And then that first model, or even toy boat. Yes where indeed does it all start? I build plastic, but would love to do a wooden ship. My wife says that she likes them (the beautiful boats and ships with the impressive sails) more than the "grey ones". So, I do have support at the right place :). You all have inspired me toput my hand at a wooden ship, and suddenly 2024 looks full af adventure. Thank you!!!
Ettienne,

As a plastic Modeler who just has started with wood, may I suggest you start with the Model Expo grand banks Dory

It is on sale now and if you complete it and take a picture of it they will give you full store credit for your next build.

I did it it is a lot of fun and am now trying my hand on their next beginner kit the Norwegian sailing pram.

Best of luck!

Rob

I am one of those people pictured with my finished Dory and am out of my teens, although my wife claims otherwise! I have been making plastic models for many years and ran into wooden boats almost accidentally while watching you tube. Many of the tools and techniques from plastic modeling are useful for this hobby. If I may suggest model shipways may want to consider an ad in the AARP magazine and/or plastic modeling magazines.

Their offer for store credit for building the Dory made me pull the trigger, and I am glad I did. I am now building the Norwegian sailing pram, and considering what I should try next.

The SOS website and build logs have been invaluable in helping me build the models and I feel much like I am part of a congenial group!

Thank you all!
So I’m another recent completer of the Dory and just started the sailing pram a couple weeks ago. I’m smack-dab in my mid 40’s, married with two kids who compete in gymnastics and participate in 4-H, and of course the day job. The Dory took me the better part of a year primarily because of time commitments and secondarily because of me going super slow as a first kit to get it right (and I have a bit of a perfectionist problem that can incapacitate me at times especially since I do not have master level skills). BUT I had been desperate to build wooden kits since early teens and finally decided to pull the trigger instead of waiting until retirement. SSSOOOOO glad I did! But haven’t found any local modelers or clubs to befriend yet here in northern Ohio….and definitely disappointed that no reasonably “local” (and I’m willing to drive a little ways) hobby shops have kits or parts. Very glad to have found places like SOS!!

Do it! If you want to start small, the Model Shipways Shipwright Series 3-boat kit is an awesome starting point.

Well, I definitely fall squarely into the stereotypical first-timer... 53 and have been scale modeling since my early teens. I agree with a lot of points made here, especially the patience & skills brought forth from the modeling world. I can say that the younger family-man me would not have had the time, patience, disposable income, etc to do this. You drop a couple hundred hours into a scale model, and you can have a sharp looking piece, but I'm 150 hours into my first build, and I'm just starting my second layer planking... talk about a "cultural" shift.
As mentioned in another thread, thanks to ModelExpo for sneaking a catalog into an Amazon order. It had always been a little splinter in the back of my mind, but that prompted me to finally give it a try... believe it or not, at the urging of the Admiral, when she saw me flipping through said catalog (I think I was drooling).
Always good when the Port Admiral signs off on the requisition!

Quint, that's exactly how I think: 55+ is the target audience, for the reasons you already gave.

I spend a lot of time thinking on how to reach these people. Ideas are very welcome!
For an unaccomplished modeler, I would like to say something about promoting this craft. To touch the creative instincts of young and old alike, the ships need to be displayed in a public place rather than a back bedroom or living room wall where only the builder can view them. Seeing an incased Man-o-war in a restaurant, bank lobby, high school, or office building can spark an interest like no other. An attached recognition plate could provide club contact information to admirers. Granted, there are risks involved, but was the model built as a labor of love or for financial gain? It may require a club effort to promote, but what a nice trend it would be, to see these creations on public display outside of a museum.
That's what pushed my hot button some seventy years ago. :)
Terry

For an unaccomplished modeler, I would like to say something about promoting this craft. To touch the creative instincts of young and old alike, the ships need to be displayed in a public place rather than a back bedroom or living room wall where only the builder can view them. Seeing an incased Man-o-war in a restaurant, bank lobby, high school, or office building can spark an interest like no other. An attached recognition plate could provide club contact information to admirers. Granted, there are risks involved, but was the model built as a labor of love or for financial gain? It may require a club effort to promote, but what a nice trend it would be, to see these creations on public display outside of a museum.
That's what pushed my hot button some seventy years ago. :)
Terry
I wish I had pushed that button much sooner than I did...I missed years of enjoyment....Happy Christmas and Merry New Year.....

Back