Let's get more people into wooden ship building!

For an unaccomplished modeler, I would like to say something about promoting this craft. To touch the creative instincts of young and old alike, the ships need to be displayed in a public place rather than a back bedroom or living room wall where only the builder can view them. Seeing an incased Man-o-war in a restaurant, bank lobby, high school, or office building can spark an interest like no other. An attached recognition plate could provide club contact information to admirers. Granted, there are risks involved, but was the model built as a labor of love or for financial gain? It may require a club effort to promote, but what a nice trend it would be, to see these creations on public display outside of a museum.
That's what pushed my hot button some seventy years ago. :)
Terry
Another place to display them would be your local library. Libraries often have display area and love different ideas. Showing models in various stages of construction would interest a lot of folk.

Hate to rain on anyone's optimistic view on reviving wood ship modelling. Todays youth are not building models. They do not fly R/C airplanes, (those that do are flying mostly prebuilt out of the box) and they most certainly are not driving R/C submarines. The "Tri State" R/C shows are dwindling, as well as the clubs! Even the heyday of R/C cars has come and gone!
I ask...how old is the youngest wood ship builder on this forum? I was modelling plastic kits since 4 years old, attempted my first Guillows balsa plane kit at 6!
Back in 1983 bought my first boat wood kit (dory) from a Model Expo add in Smithsonian via mail order. Yes, it hooked me! a few more builds along the years, and today I have 6 wood kits in the box, yet to be started, with a Mamoli Alabama on the workbench, hull planking & deck completed. At 67 now, will I ever get to the remaining boxed kits yet to be built? I think not!
Back in 1984 or so I visited Model Expo to buy my second kit after the dory build. Mr. Frank Mastini was behind a counter across the opposite side of the service counter. He was building a Bluenose as a demo. At the service counter, (I believe it was Marc), I was directed to Mr. Mastini for coaching on my second kit! Even back then, I was not waiting on line in the subsequent Saturdays I spent driving to NJ for Mr. Mastini's build coaching. I pretty much had his lessons all to myself!
Now, to be fair Model Expo was in a corporate park, and they were doing largely mail order, but the premise was easy to access with little effort and very well set up as a point of sale retail shop within the warehouse. Still, all that being said, I was surprised at how few people were taking advantage of Mr. Mastini's coaching!
All here will agree...this hobby consumes much time, yielding great rewards for the effort. How does one find the time in youth between work, social life & family? I largely put this hobby on the backburner until I was in my late 40's re-start...and that was slow going!
Much truth to what you are saying. Even as a younger plastic modeler I saw wood ships as something for more mature modelers, and the price alone made it a prohibitive activity. Plastics were faster, cheaper, and more accessible. The skills and tools also ranged all manner of plastic modeling subjects. Now, staring down 50 in a few months, wood ships are coming back into the picture for me. I have no more time than I used to, and I still have a large stash of plastics to plow through, but the appeal of a slower moving hobby is gaining in me.
This dory offer is great for me and a great idea, but I also question how big an impact will be felt by younger modelers. Unless I and those in my age bracket (say 35-50?) are the target audience?

Great Model Shipways initiative.
Another way to increase interest and rejuvenate the modeling community could be to offer free entry tickets to local or larger modeling shows in schools with children aged 14-18 and under. Marketing or production companies could take care of this. Maybe with the support of sites like ours.

A Great Idea, to drum up interest, although as previously mentioned, the hobby only appeals to the older generation, possible growing up when model kits were more popular, more free time and more disposable income ( lets face it it is not a cheap hobby) in some respects we are all guilty of helping kit manufacturers inflate prices, the majority of modellers that I know have more than one kit on the go, with others in reserve (I hold my hands up Im the same).
I think another issue is the availability of learning materials, as the instructions supplied by some manufacturers are lacking and show incorrect methods especially when it comes to Planking a hull, it's ok if you find a great forum like this where the members are happy to help and share knowledge, I was lucky a member of the forum watched one of my UTube videos, and left a comment inviting me to check out this forum, otherwise I doubt I would have found it, Whilst I may not be a very active member, Im constantly promoting its existence to channel viewers. sorry a bit of topic there.
Over the last year viewers of the channel consisted of the following age groups, based on 110200 views

13-17 0%
18-24 5.2%
25-34 10.1%
35-44 10.4%
45-54 13.3%
55-64 22.4%
65+ 38.7%

growing the hobby has been gone over many times and getting younger people interested. Well forget about it young people in general are not interested. If younger people take an interest in model buuilding it will be plastic kits or Legos. Cost of good model ship kits are just to expensive for the casual hobby model builder.
Back in the day i was working with a guy named Jim Roberts who started a model ship company. He claimed to have builders interested in a ship kit it needs guns the more guns the better it will sell. This is why you find first time builder buying kits that are difficult to build and most never get finished. Very few first timers start small and work their way up to more complicated kits.

back when i was involved in the Nautical Research Guild i suggest a booth at the Mid American Boat Show held every years in Cleveland. Here we have a crowd interested in boats and can afford owning a boat it seemed like a perfect fit for a model ship booth. The idea was kicked to the curb with a flat out not interested, it was so long ago i do not remember the reasons why. One model club tried to tie in a model bost contest and show with a state fair,, results was one model was on display.

Where does this leave us? well i been involved in model ship building since the late 1960s and it is still here so it is stable and not going anywhere.

I was lucky a member of the forum watched one of my UTube videos, and left a comment inviting me to check out this forum, otherwise I doubt I would have found it,

something to consider is power in numbers join forces. Model Expo has an ad here directing builders to their web site maybe Model Expo should have something directing buiders to Ships in Scale where tons of information can be found.

networking follow the leads take a look here Model Expo should have an ad, in Sea History on model Expo site is a link to SoS or run an ad in AARP

Thank you, Model Shipways, for starting this thread. I have had some very interesting readings here.

As some of you may know that, I started my wood model (currentl focus on wood ship model kit building) youtube channel over a year ago.
I would like to share some data here in attached images.

Very interesting foundings:
- over 50% of viewers are under age of 54.
- nearly 50% of viewers are using mobile phones to watch my ship model building videos
- Geographically, most viewers are from US, UK, Germany, Russia, Japan, France and ...

I think the young ppl are interested in the hobby. Thanks to the internet, we can get all kind of information regarding to ship model making easier and faster more than ever.

I think what stopping more young ppl to get into this beautiful hobby are:
- time (long time commitment)
- space for making (more young ppl are living in small apartments now)
- initial investments (for tools, materials and kits)

However, I strongly believe when the time comes, they certainly will give it a try and some of them will become of us.

Many thanks to the SOS forums to provide a such great place for us to learn, share and enjoy!

ByAge.jpg

ByGeography.jpg

ByDevice.jpg

I agree that the lack of hobbies in general is on a decline to the detriment of society as a whole.
For example my models are big and when I have my garage door up it's like a full size boat being built and would you like to guess how many people have stopped to look or come up to ask about it in 8 years?.
4 all up and all of them older people, many young people don't even look twice, I remember in the 80's or so it would have been very different.
Anyway I am starting to sound like one of those people" In my day "
I also taught first year Uni for 5 years and know from first hand experience that a lot of people have no goals or idea of what they want out of life until much latter.

I think what stopping more young ppl to get into this beautiful hobby are:
- time (long time commitment)
- space for making (more young ppl are living in small apartments now)
- initial investments (for tools, materials and kits)

This nails it on the head I believe for many generations. 25 years ago I had a family, new house payment, and wasn't making great money... If I had spent this kind of coin on hobbies, the Admiral would've strung me from the yard by the testicular soft bits. Now we have an empty nest, which frees up time & room in the house, the mortgage is paid, and I make much better pay, so she doesn't even bat an eye anymore... as I've stated before, she is in fact the one who encouraged me to go from scale modeling into getting my first ship.

Another place to display them would be your local library. Libraries often have display area and love different ideas. Showing models in various stages of construction would interest a lot of folk.
You are quite right in your comments. After having built in more than 50 Years, I nhad to stop building mainly NO space in our flat. On the other hand -although none of my more than 30 builds is mentioned here.
2 went to 2 Danich museums. 3 of the better ones in Madrid to 3 3*** Restaurants, and two top restaurants in Malaga, These were not the best places, as yhet not invest in protection from the high humidity, sandstorms etc. that lasted about 4-5 Years. One day went down there and collected them. Out of the two I managed to restore one, which lasted 40 years about.-el capi

01 Norske love 1.jpg

02 Norske love 2.jpg

This nails it on the head I believe for many generations. 25 years ago I had a family, new house payment, and wasn't making great money... If I had spent this kind of coin on hobbies, the Admiral would've strung me from the yard by the testicular soft bits. Now we have an empty nest, which frees up time & room in the house, the mortgage is paid, and I make much better pay, so she doesn't even bat an eye anymore... as I've stated before, she is in fact the one who encouraged me to go from scale modeling into getting my first ship.
Many models today often come from heritage -grandfather or father who sometimes a large stock and half build this new members are trying to finish these build. In my opinion, most of them fail,

Finally, I reached 38.7% of something! Think I surpassed the approval poll on all of our upcoming elections. Should I run for office, run away, or finally start a build log? The latter sounds like the best choice. People these days care about instant gratification. That is all I have to say on this subject.

Happy Modeling my friends..............................

I am one of those people pictured with my finished Dory and am out of my teens, although my wife claims otherwise! I have been making plastic models for many years and ran into wooden boats almost accidentally while watching you tube. Many of the tools and techniques from plastic modeling are useful for this hobby. If I may suggest model shipways may want to consider an ad in the AARP magazine and/or plastic modeling magazines.

Their offer for store credit for building the Dory made me pull the trigger, and I am glad I did. I am now building the Norwegian sailing pram, and considering what I should try next.

The SOS website and build logs have been invaluable in helping me build the models and I feel much like I am part of a congenial group!

Thank you all!
Rob, great to hear you took advantage of the promotion. We did place an ad on Fine Scale Modeler and AARP is on our radar - even though their rates are very, very high. Hope to see your next build soon. What are you up to? Regards!

I was writing as quint posted. I do see optimism in what he says, at least at the 55+ level. I agree, that demographic is promising! What is great is that Ships of Scale community is ready to assist, as it has been, helping all with success in this hobby! I am happy to see Model Shipways thinking outside the box, and utilizing this forum as a platform to attract new builders to the hobby! I think this idea can be further expanded in the future with Model Shipways and Ships of Scale teaming up!
I have one idea, just a thought....Model Shipways can take the most popular kit they have sold this holiday season, and work with Donny in getting a group build going for that kit. Model Shipways can then inform the buyers of those kits to log onto SOS and participate in the build! Seems like a win-win...or am missing something?
It's a great idea, indeed. The Midwest kits that we have re-launched have been selling a lot. Maybe we can do something with one of them.

i think this a great idea the manufacture and dealer working with the ship modeling community rather than just producing products. For the longest time model ship building was a builder in his shop by himself building away. Now we are more of an on line community where we can share our hobby.
it is about time we all come out of our shops and say "here we are" and we build model ships.
Do i need to build a beginner kit? nope not at all but my order is in and i wait for my kit to arrive. I do not plan on sitting here in my little shop and build this model i want to do an on line build.

For years the biggest issue with building instructions they seem to always fall short or leave you hanging with a now what! i think it is time for interactive building instruction with others as well as the manufacture who made the kit.
On line build, interactive instructions... I like the concept a lot. I just have to think on the best way to have the customer (and potential customer) learn and use these resources

it would seem logical if Ships of scale took build logs such as the Dory and now that we can create PDF files create a reference library then Model Expo can add to their instructions or a note in the kit for further information go to Ships of Scale PDF library. This idea is interactive a builder can actually post a question to other builders, you can't do that with printed instructions.
We already have links for build logs for some of our kits. I will add more in time.

Hey I'm brand new to the hobby i'm really excited about this you'll see an order from me later today! I'm 38 and am getting into model ship building for a few reasons but slowing down and having work that requires quiet focus on real things that aren't in a screen is what is most attractive. I'm restoring a fiberglass sail boat and also want to build some full size wooden boats in the future, modeling seems like a good way tp wrap your head around it Modeling is beautiful and intricate and the finished results seem incredible. To say nothing of the process. It's really great of Model Shipways for this offer. I was told not to buy kits as you will inherit them from old guys if you join a club( my local is philadelphia, i haven't made it to a meeting yet though) but I'm gonna make an exception. Thanks for everyone who is out here and to all those inget assistance from in thf future. It's really excellent and important this forum exists.
Welcome! Hope to see your Dory soon!

Anyone interested in seeing my Dory completed, link below

I wish I had pushed that button much sooner than I did...I missed years of enjoyment....Happy Christmas and Merry New Year.....
Shipways you were the reason I found this … your shipway series was a start…thank you !

Back