Linberg's "Captain Kidd"

Great job on the sails too. It looks like a enjoyable model to build. I just bought one along with a Jolly Roger (La Flore).

Doing your own Rat lines seems like it would be fun. To tie them the right way is Knot. (pun intended)1524870589234.png

Nino

My first comment!
I had to say you are doing a great job, I have the Jolly Roger in my stash and the Kidd on my wish list. The plastic back stays look petty good on this build. I plan to post my Nina in 1/144 build soon.

My first comment!
I had to say you are doing a great job, I have the Jolly Roger in my stash and the Kidd on my wish list. The plastic back stays look petty good on this build. I plan to post my Nina in 1/144 build soon.
We are looking forward to see your Nina here in our forum ...... :cool:

Original Date: May 29, 2006

For all practical purposes it is finally finished. I only have a very few minor adjustments and things to do (that I am aware of). Thank you everyone for all your attention and kind words of encouragement thru this 5 month build. This kit was something else. The parts did not fit good and had to wrestle with alot of things. Now, I am not complaining because I learned a lot about modeling on this project. The rigging plans were one page and had to have a magifying glass to even make anything out about it. I just tried to get as much out of this kit as I could.
Thanks again for tuning in !
Donnie

I know that there are a lot of pictures, but I am sure that someone out there would want to see as much as possible in case they are trying to build this one too.
SENSATIONAL, IT SEEMS WOOD

thank you all for the kind words. When I built this model, I didn't even know the names of the ratlines and shrouds at the time, much less if the rigging was even correct. Basically, I knew absolutely nothing. I am probably about half way there (understanding) now I guess -- LOL

Donnie,

This kit was originally released as the Wappen von Hamburg. I forget which company first released it, but I remember seeing on the shelves back in the late 1960s. Revell later released it as "W v H" in either the late 1970s or early 1980s, and I have recently seen it on the shelves of one of my local hobby shops last year as "W v H". Also, please do not diminish this kind of build; it is very possible to build a serious ship model out of a plastic kit, even these Lindbergh "pirate ships". each was once marketed as models of real ships.

Bill

No, I am not minimizing this kit at all. This Lindberg Kit can be built into a really good model for someone that wants to invest time in it. That was my intent back then was to get the most out of it - granted my lack of knowledge.

Final Comments

It is taken with humility with the help of all my friends here to help me. Someone asked about ratlines, well, they are... plastic that came with it. The rigging surprised me at taking a week to do. Working on it about 3 hours per day for a week. The other parts took 5 months with painting etc, and making decisions.
On the flags in case anyone wonders about that. I took the same tissue paper and taped the tissue paper to a blank sheet of white printer paper. I was really surprised that when I put the paper arrangement in the tray and printed it that it drew the paper up in the printer and printed it without a jam. It shocked me that it worked. I wanted to use the same tissue paper so that I could form it to look more lifelike.
I am in no way boasting about my efforts—again I get my motivation from people here that enjoy building ships of all kinds. I just hope that someone out there that might be building this kit or wants to build it, now you have some documentation to go by.
The kit was a linberg kit from Hobby Lobby and it goes by Captain Kidd. I think that I mentioned this before. By the way, the rigging line was bought from Hobby Lobby in the Jewelry making department. The have a small clear ziplock bag that has I guess about 7 different colors of line in it. It seemed to already be treated with sometype of coating and it was nice stuff to work with (in my opinion).
I do not remember if I mentioned the Sails and how I made them. I used light brown color gift wrapping tissue paper. I measured out the sail as best as I could as if it was all the way let out (full sail). Then I rolled the sail up in a tight roll of paper. Then I mounted the sail as it was tighly wound on the Yard. Then after the sail was mounted, I took some water and put a drop of water on the tighly rolled paper and the paper when wet will relax and slighly unfold. I took a small pick or any type of instrument and gently pulled the sail downward to make it appear that the sail is not quite hauled up.

Again, thank you for visiting this build log and I hope that you gained some useful information from it. Do not hesitate to contact me.
I have just aquired this kit and read your log with interest. I think you did an exceptional job on the details and will follow your advise through the build. I especially like the idea you have used for sails. Is the tissue paper fabric or actually paper ?

Is the tissue paper fabric or actually paper?
No fabric. I am using what I call a gift wrapping tissue. It is the type of paper that you usually would use inside a gift box to protect the gift on inside. Very thin. I happen to have some very light tan gift wrapping tissue laying around. Not sure why they call it tissue as it is not like tissue paper for restrooms. If I remember I rolled up a tube and twisted it. Then I put a few drops of water on the tissue and while it was still damp, I hung the tissue on the yard. Then even while tissue barely damp, I took tweezers and shaped the sail to have a furled look. When paper dried, it keeps its shape. The paper will not tear apart and easy to work with. I hope this helps. You are welcome to PM me if need more help w this process.

Original Date: May 18, 2006

I envy those that do the Ratlines on their own. I wonder how it is done. I guess I need to do a search and find out how everybody is doing theirs. Please share with me your technique.
Not hard just a slow process a piece of binder paper behind the shrouds for spacing(whatever scales to@16")and lots of clove hitches get all close then put diluted white glue on the knots on fore shrouds let dry and stretch and straighten the ratlines and diluted white glue on the rest of the knots itll keep you off the streets cor a few days!

Ha, if that is a quote from something I said back on May 18, 2006, then I think things have changed now after two major ship builds.

No problem. It had me kinda figuring out the timing. Do you have any rigging questions?

Back