Longboat of "Le Requin" - ZHL kit - 1/48

Good morning all,

To introduce myself quickly, my name is Jerome and I live in France, a hundred kilometers south of Paris.
I did a few ship models a few (many...) years ago : an Albatros of Mantua and a Greek galley of XIX century produced by Amati.
I take the hobby to change the ideas of a quite busy working life. I have just started the longboat of Le Requin produced by ZHL. It's a very small project to resume my work habits
before embarking on a more ambitious project.

As promised, here is my first post of my realization of the model of ZHL on scale 1 / 48th.

I ordered directly from the site for about $ 60 + $ 10 shipping cost for France.

Note that the site does not update very well the status of the shipment. It was an email received about 5 days after the payment that told me that my package had been shipped and giving me a tracking number.

After my order I received my package less than 10 days later.
And here is my longboat as I received it ...
DSC08454.JPG

Let's open the packaging ...
DSC08456.JPG
DSC08457.JPG
and now, let's open the box...
DSC08458.JPG

Everything is well packaged, no problem ...
DSC08459.JPG

I did not take the picture (sorry), but some boards were very (very) slightly veiled. One night under a stack of books and the next day everything is back to normal.

The boards are made of plywood (ribs, positionning plate), sapele (deck, keel, rudder...), maple (oar), cherry wood (hull and some other ship parts)
DSC08474.JPG

There are also some metal parts in photoetching and others CNC machined.
DSC08471.JPG
DSC08472.JPG
The laser cutting quality of the wood is good and all the parts seem to be of good quality.
The pieces of wood, for some of them, are extremely fine. Ribs must be 1mm thick. You have to go very slowly when sanding. I only sanded the inside part (visible) so as not to take too much risks ...

Thank you for your indulgence, but the language of Shakespeare is less familiar to me than Molière's. I'm using google translator and I hope it will not create any nonsense or annoying misunderstandings .... and this is the first time I do a review on a forum.
Do not hesitate to correct me on shipbuilding vocabulary. For example "couple" in french is translated by "couple" by Googles and not by "ribs" ... somewhat annoying!

On the next post, I will show the parts and construction guide (to be continued...)

Jerome

Hello, here is a new post about "the open the box" and a "spoiler" of tne next post...

Here are some pictures of the construction manual and the part list of the model :
DSC08485.JPGDSC08486.JPG
DSC08487.JPGDSC08488.JPG

And here is my little boat next to the shark (in french Le Requin). Who will eat who?

DSC08477.JPG

Next time, serious things will start with construction ....

Good evening everyone

And here are some pictures of my first work session. Unfortunately I made a bad manipulation of my camera and I lost the images of the assembly of ribs and construction platform.

The construction platform has been assembled and all couples are in place.
The original editing system but it does the job. We see that it was well thought out. I do not see how one could achieve the planking without this system.
I just added two small cleats to maintain the squareness of the first rib.

The elements are extremely fine. The ribs are 1mm thick. I sanded them on their inner side in order to make disappear the traces of burns due to the laser cutting. (I am definitely convinced that I have too big fingers ;))

I did not do it for the outer face to not take any risk. Indeed, they are plywood and sanding on the edge is delicate.

Other pictures
DSC08463.JPGDSC08464.JPGDSC08465.JPG

I started to realize the stern. I did not respect the instructions of the manual (text). I realized first the planking of the outer face of the stern so that the boards on the side rests on those of the stern. Obviously, that's how it was done in Boudriot's excellent book on Le Requin
DSC08461.JPGDSC08462.JPG

Note that the boards of the stern are not sided or sanded yet.

A photo with the book that is my historical source. I do not advertise but it exists in English and french. Although a bit expensive, it is absolutely reliable.
The link to the publisher's website : https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/18-monographie-du-requin-chebec-1750-.html

DSC08475.JPG

Tomorrow, the beginning of planking,
(To be continued...)

Attachments

• DSC08460.JPG
    DSC08460.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 17
Bonjour Jerome,

Don't worry about your English, it is better than my French :p Looking forward to your build. Enjoying thus far. Keep us updated with your photos.

A photo with the book that is my historical source. I do not advertise but it exists in English and french. Although a bit expensive, it is absolutely reliable.
The link to the publisher's website : https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/18-monographie-du-requin-chebec-1750-.html

View attachment 116616

Tomorrow, the beginning of planking,
(To be continued...)

Hallo Jerome,
this is a very interesting building log. These small kits are very useful to add a good quality boat to the models or even as a project in between.
Many thanks also for the info about the planset from Jean Boudriot.
For everybody interested more in this, please take a look at our planset review here:

Good morning all,

To introduce myself quickly, my name is Jerome and I live in France, a hundred kilometers south of Paris.
I did a few ship models a few (many...) years ago : an Albatros of Mantua and a Greek galley of XIX century produced by Amati.
I take the hobby to change the ideas of a quite busy working life. I have just started the longboat of Le Requin produced by ZHL. It's a very small project to resume my work habits
before embarking on a more ambitious project.

As promised, here is my first post of my realization of the model of ZHL on scale 1 / 48th.

I ordered directly from the site for about $ 60 + $ 10 shipping cost for France.

Note that the site does not update very well the status of the shipment. It was an email received about 5 days after the payment that told me that my package had been shipped and giving me a tracking number.

After my order I received my package less than 10 days later.
And here is my longboat as I received it ...
View attachment 116495

Let's open the packaging ...
View attachment 116496
View attachment 116492
and now, let's open the box...
View attachment 116499

Everything is well packaged, no problem ...
View attachment 116527

I did not take the picture (sorry), but some boards were very (very) slightly veiled. One night under a stack of books and the next day everything is back to normal.

The boards are made of plywood (ribs, positionning plate), sapele (deck, keel, rudder...), maple (oar), cherry wood (hull and some other ship parts)
View attachment 116529

There are also some metal parts in photoetching and others CNC machined.
View attachment 116530
View attachment 116531
The laser cutting quality of the wood is good and all the parts seem to be of good quality.
The pieces of wood, for some of them, are extremely fine. Ribs must be 1mm thick. You have to go very slowly when sanding. I only sanded the inside part (visible) so as not to take too much risks ...

Thank you for your indulgence, but the language of Shakespeare is less familiar to me than Molière's. I'm using google translator and I hope it will not create any nonsense or annoying misunderstandings .... and this is the first time I do a review on a forum.
Do not hesitate to correct me on shipbuilding vocabulary. For example "couple" in french is translated by "couple" by Googles and not by "ribs" ... somewhat annoying!

On the next post, I will show the parts and construction guide (to be continued...)

Jerome
Hallo Jerome alias @Raven89
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back