Looking for Plans/Plates for HMS Victory

here is the idea in images

start with a bodyplan

View attachment 230307

use those body lines and cut out sections

View attachment 230308

you do not need the shape of all the frames that go between the body lines just fill in between them and shape the hull.

View attachment 230309

View attachment 230310

when you separate the the sections you have all the frame shapes

View attachment 230311

so all you need are the hull lines

View attachment 230312

to build a plank on frame hull

View attachment 230314
Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a clear and concise explanation of a very complicated concept and task. Yes, I can see that taking this task on would be VERY time consuming, especially if doing it for the first time.

My research, as to what other possible ways of performing, basically, the same thing, is to scan the body plan and half breadth plan into a CAD program, trace the plans to create the electronic version and then basically slice it up like a loaf of bread from there. Much like your suggested approach, but instead of a physical method, the electronic creation and manipulation of the same elements.

Ok, I'm going to ask a crazy question, as that is where I am, at this point. Do you know of member of SoS who offers the service to do just this; extract the individual frame plans from the body/half breadth plans. I'd be willing to pay a tidy sum, but not sure about how to approach it with the community.

Regardless of what happens and/or where this adventure takes me, THANK YOU! You've given me one more thing to think of.

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to ask a crazy question, as that is where I am, at this point. Do you know of member of SoS who offers the service to do just this; extract the individual frame plans from the body/half breadth plans. I'd be willing to pay a tidy sum, but not sure about how to approach it with the community.

Maybe f.e. @SZKUTNIK could offer such a service, if they have time.......

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a clear and concise explanation of a very complicated concept and task. Yes, I can see that taking this task on would be VERY time consuming, especially if doing it for the first time.

My research, as to what other possible ways of performing, basically, the same thing, is to scan the body plan and half breadth plan into a CAD program, trace the plans to create the electronic version and then basically slice it up like a loaf of bread from there. Much like your suggested approach, but instead of a physical method, the electronic creation and manipulation of the same elements.

Regardless of what happens and/or where this adventure takes me, THANK YOU! You've given me one more thing to think of.

Cheers,
Ken

this is what i and my team do is creating virtual models and 3D animation.
Here are a few still shots of a project in the works

first is a frame with bevels inside and out This work begins with CAD drawings the 3D modeled and those elements are set into animation so you can watch as the hull is built.

This is a very tedious, time consuming and expensive process. The creation and final animation of a hull being built takes about as long as actually building the hull. it would be much faster and a whole lot cheaper to create a 1/2 hull like i showed in another post. One issue we found is a 2D CAD drawing does not translate smoothly into a 3D model and a lot of tweaking and adjusting has to be done.

10e.jpg10d.jpg10c.jpg10b.jpg10a.jpg

a framed hull under construction

Bow Keel Assembly (4)d.jpgBow Keel Assembly (4).jpgBow Keel Assembly (4)c.jpgBow Keel Assembly (4)b.jpgBow Keel Assembly (4)a.jpg

i would take on the job but right now i am deep involved with 2 big projects

one thing you can try is hire a freelance CAD designer form sites like this

now if they need CAD drawn hull lines that i can help you with if you can wait until i get the jobs done that i am working on.

lines.JPGframes.JPG

The best set of plans that I have seen are part of a 2 volume set (Text and Drawings) by A. R. Bugler titled HMS Victory: Building, restoration and repair, copyright 1966. Hard to find and not cheap but worth it.
Kent

Dave,

Cheers,
Ken
Ahoy!

@Hoss6262 write an private e-mail what do you need. I'll try to help.

The members here on SoS got to be the best group of model builders i have ever had the privilege to be a part of, for anyone to step up to help a fellow builder to realize his dream build.
I second Don's recommendation Kris knows his stuff and his willingness to help is the true spirit of SoS.

The members here on SoS got to be the best group of model builders i have ever had the privilege to be a part of, for anyone to step up to help a fellow builder to realize his dream build.
I second Don's recommendation Kris knows his stuff and his willingness to help is the true spirit of SoS.
Never have truer words been spoken Dave! I am reminded, daily, that everyone, masters to novices @ SoS, possess the giving spirit to help others. I am always moved by this. I definitely think that giving spirit "pays it forward", and when someone does something to help another, that person being helped then helps the next and that spirit spreads like ripples in a pond, spreading good things that make SoS a wonderful place, not only to share information, but to build relationships.

When someone takes their personal time to help another, the behavior says so much more than words ever could.

I have now had many people help me. Thank you all.

I will PM Kris and see if he can help. Regardless of the outcome, I will feel as though I've succeeded, if not specifically with this task, but with all you guys as friends.

Cheers,
Ken

The best set of plans that I have seen are part of a 2 volume set (Text and Drawings) by A. R. Bugler titled HMS Victory: Building, restoration and repair, copyright 1966. Hard to find and not cheap but worth it.
Kent
Hey Kent,

Yes, I've been looking for a copy of H.M.S. Victory: Building & Restoration & Repair 1966 By Bugler, Arthur, for over a year now. I found one copy, but sans the plans. I'd be willing to pay $500 for a copy.

With that said, I do have sources for the plans I would need to create individual frames, albeit, in 1/192 scale.
20210512_153220.jpg20210512_153225.jpg20210512_153235.jpg51gPF4olLHL._SX390_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So with the exception of Arthur Bulger's works, I'm pretty well prepared from an information standpoint.

The plans of Arthur Bulger's are in 1/48, if I'm not mistaken. I would prefer to work with line drawings in the larger scale and reduce them to 1/72, instead of 1/192 and increasing as reduction would be a better approach in respect to distortion of the lines.

Thanks Kent for your response and input.

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited:
i would take on the job but right now i am deep involved with 2 big projects

one thing you can try is hire a freelance CAD designer form sites like this

now if they need CAD drawn hull lines that i can help you with if you can wait until i get the jobs done that i am working on.

View attachment 233005View attachment 233006
Dave,

Thanks for the offer. I am in no hurry as I'm just now approaching the rigging stage in my current project. With that said, if I can find a solution from one person/resource, I would prefer to go that way........., but, if Kris isn't able to help me, then I may then do some research on finding a CAD/CAM resource and may then reach out and ask your help with the line drawings.

I recently found an article about how to create frames via importing the plans into CAD and tracing. The article if very thorough, just under 80 pages PDF. Below is the PDF link.

I've learned to hope for the best, but expect much less, so I've downloaded Rhinoceros, which has a 90 day trial period and then after that a personal license of $200. I'm spending a lot of time on YouTube in tutorials, conducting my own feasibility study to see if I would even want to attempt it..

We'll see. I guess it will depend on what's up after a conversation with Kris.

Cheers,
Ken

Ahoy!

@Ken - The plans HMS VICTORY...... Get in touch with John McKay (author of the Victory plans Anatomy of the Ship). He should copy plans for You in the scale 1/72 or 1/96,

Ahoy!

@Ken - The plans HMS VICTORY...... Get in touch with John McKay (author of the Victory plans Anatomy of the Ship). He should copy plans for You in the scale 1/72 or 1/96,
John McKay passed away I think but maybe a family member will respond on his emsil accound ,maybe they are still selling his plans

Back