Mantua Sergal President frigate 1:60 build log.

J w rogers

This is my first kit build and first build log. Until now I’ve only built ships in bottles but fancied something bigger but not too complex. The detail on this kit seems quite basic or rather lacking in places, but I suppose you get what you pay for at this level, so I will add a few embellishments here and there.
So far I’ve only got the frame assembled as a lot of the pieces were warped and had to be steamed to straighten, then a lot of swearing as the pieces were insanely tight to fit. Just started to shape the sides to get rid of the sharp corners, then my first attempt at planking!79974

J w rogers

Is there a way of moving this post to the correct section? I don’t seem to be able to do it, or do I have to redo it again in the wood ship build logs after I tested it here? Thanks.

J w rogers

I’ve spent most of today looking up frigates to steal ideas for modifications I want to make to this kit to make it look more authentic. I will most certainly change the cannon positions on the deck when I get that far, and probably change the cannons as they look a very poor attempt and seem a bit too large for this scale, nearly blocking the entire deck. So far work has been slow as I don’t want to get to far ahead of myself and miss something vital that needs doing sooner rather than later, so I’ve been busy trenailing the pre-made decks and adding extra material to the height of the stern to carve to the correct shape later on. The die cast pieces are poorly made ( I’ve read that a lot!) but I can hopefully clean them up a with a bit of careful filing. Just now contemplating filling in between the frames before I do anymore sanding as I gather it will help for a better finish for the planking.

J w rogers

Fitted and glued pre made decks and just discovered the upper deck and more importantly the mizzen mast hole are slightly off of centre line! So now I need to address this issue! Seems to be a lot of issues with this kit so far. 8153681537815388153781538