Mantua Sergal President frigate 1:60 build log.

This is my first kit build and first build log. Until now I’ve only built ships in bottles but fancied something bigger but not too complex. The detail on this kit seems quite basic or rather lacking in places, but I suppose you get what you pay for at this level, so I will add a few embellishments here and there.
So far I’ve only got the frame assembled as a lot of the pieces were warped and had to be steamed to straighten, then a lot of swearing as the pieces were insanely tight to fit. Just started to shape the sides to get rid of the sharp corners, then my first attempt at planking!79974

Is there a way of moving this post to the correct section? I don’t seem to be able to do it, or do I have to redo it again in the wood ship build logs after I tested it here? Thanks.

I’ve spent most of today looking up frigates to steal ideas for modifications I want to make to this kit to make it look more authentic. I will most certainly change the cannon positions on the deck when I get that far, and probably change the cannons as they look a very poor attempt and seem a bit too large for this scale, nearly blocking the entire deck. So far work has been slow as I don’t want to get to far ahead of myself and miss something vital that needs doing sooner rather than later, so I’ve been busy trenailing the pre-made decks and adding extra material to the height of the stern to carve to the correct shape later on. The die cast pieces are poorly made ( I’ve read that a lot!) but I can hopefully clean them up a with a bit of careful filing. Just now contemplating filling in between the frames before I do anymore sanding as I gather it will help for a better finish for the planking.

Slow progress due to life getting in the way, but still progress! So far I have tried to follow the plans and booklet and it has led me to a lot of problems with the planking, it's as if the planks are different size to what can be seen in the booklet. It shows 9 planks at 6mm but I have arrived at the same point on the bulkheads with only five! So now I have planks that won't bend width ways to the curve of the bulkheads. So I've now had to introduce another straighter plank so I can start again which means I will have some very weird shaped planks to scribe in. If I wasn't a carpenter I think I would now be faced with a very daunting task! Luckily for me this kit is only double planked from the waterline up and the bottom will be painted or covered in copper, so I've been given a get out of jail card!

_20190331_133924.JPG_20190331_133946.JPG_20190331_134046.JPG_20190331_135737.JPG

Back