Mantua Sergal's Sovereign of Seas

Re: Mantua Sovereign of Seas

After 900 hours and 4300+ parts, the standing rigging on the lower masts have been been completed. During this time period, the futtock staves were rope rather than wood or metal that was used in the 19th and 20th century. Since the Missen stay is rigged about 6 feet above the main deck on the Main mast, and uses a set of dead eye like the other lower stays, this and the staves makes this mast challenging to rig.
Note that there are 5 dead eyes that go through the top on the Missen, not 4 as shown on the plans. Another Mantua error.

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

<t>Gary,<br/>
the attention to detail is really paying off big. This is truly going to be an outstanding ship when completed ! How are you going to do the sails ? Full, Furled, or stowed? <br/>
<br/>
Donnie</t>

Thanks Mike and Donnie.
I will not add sails to this. All the yards in this ship are incorrect lengths so the sails that Mantua makes for the model would be really off. Also, since I have so many in the cue, I want to get on with them as soon as possible, especially the Titanic.

Last edited:

<t>So, which brings the question. When a ship or in the case of yours deciding not to have sails, that means no bunt lines, no clue, no sheet lines, etc. So, on a real ship, what did they do with the extra "sail rigging" that was not being used. The blocks on the yards would not have been removed just because the sails were down (?) right(?) But, then again, that would look strange having blocks rigged on the yards and not being used (?)</t>

When docked, especially for more than a day, sails and and its rigging were taken down. They were stowed away after being inspected and repaired or replaced if needed. Thus, the braces and items related to the yards were left in place with the upper yards lowered.

Last edited:

<t>Thanks for the correction there Popeye. The clew is at the tip (triangular edge) of each side of the sail, it is the "Sheet line" that attaches to the Clew to bring the sail downward to the yard right below it to keep it from just flapping in the wind. <br/>
I can see how not adding these lines and sails would greatly reduce building time.</t>

<r>beautiful work Popeye. It is always a pleasure to follow your builds. Thank you for sharing.<br/>
<E>:text-woo:</E> <E>:music-rockout:</E></r>

Thanks Sgtmik for your comment on my build.
Since there is so much wrong with the kit including lengths of all the mast, yards, and all the rigging was grossly incorrect, adding sails would not only hide all the detail but would not be accurate. Since there are no pictures or records of where everything went, you would be guessing where each line was going. It could be to a ring bolt on the deck, a kevel on the bulwarks , a belaying pin on the pin rail, or tied off to some other place. The rigging I am doing without the sails, I believe will be mostly accurate placed and done correctly. However, even with all my research, a few lines could be wrong since there is some disagreement between authors. There is also some indication that a few lines might have been tried that were not conventional at the time. Since this was extra big ship and new design for that time, some experimentation beyond what is obvious would have been likely.
When I do the Cutty Sark, I plan on doing the sails. There is an accurate record of where the lines went and thus the model can be an accurate representation. Plus, it is hard to think of a clipper without thinking of how pretty they looked in full sail.

Last edited:

<t>A fantastic looking ship Gary, the attention to detail is amazing, How do you find the time to research and create such a lovely ship.<br/>
regards Graham.</t>

Hi Graham. Thanks for the comment.
I have a large library of books that I have put together over many years. I used to go to stores and look for books. Then I learned about some hobby shops back when Bliss was around in the 70's. Anything I ever though I would like to build, I would buy books on and subscribed to the magazines that were available. Then the Dromedary can into business and I bought from them in the 80's. The internet brought Model Expo.
To do things correctly, there is still nothing better than a book, even now with the whole world at your figure tips. I am grateful to the many authors that have spend years doing research and wrote books to share their knowledge. 20 years ago, it would have been extremely hard to build this ship without spending years doing research. Then, after visiting several museums that contain different versions of this ship built by several great modelers, you would still have to decide which one is most likely to be more correct and which version you would chose to copy.
Off course being retired now makes a difference also.

Last edited:

<r>So far I have tried to just follow the instructions that came with my models. Sadly I have learned that most of the models come with very sketchy instructions, although many are getting better. I have been an aircraft mechanic most of my life and having learned my trade in the military the manuals have always been regarded as the Bible. Thanks to members of this club I have been guided to some good books that have helped allot.<br/>
Great job, beautiful model. <E>:handgestures-salute:</E></r>

Thanks Dennis and Mike.
They have revised this model's instructions using 475 pictured steps. Thus, the instructions are very good, but the the problem is that the model is grossly wrong. It was more correct in the 1974 version than in the 2008 version. For example, 8 sided yards was a 1730 item. Foot ropes on all yards did not happen until around 1700. Stirrups were introduced 1720. There are no ratlines on royal shrouds. This is just a few of the obvious errors. Since the ship was launched in 1637 and burned in 1696, even foot ropes on the lower mast was not correct until after 1640 and probably would have been probably been added before or during its 1651 refurbishment.

Last edited:

I am using James Septon's book "Sovereign of the Seas" for a lot of the changes and in additional I use other ones for the rigging where necessary.

Last edited:

<t>Gary<br/>
<br/>
I have been looking through you build log and an excellent job<br/>
<br/>
I will be setting up my deck chair on this one<br/>
<br/>
Cheers<br/>
Geoff</t>

Thanks Geoff. It has been slow going this summer. A lot of my family have been having serious health issues and have been in and out of the hospital and skilled nursing center. Hopefully things will settled down soon.

Last edited:

<t>Gary<br/>
<br/>
I wish you and your family all the best and hope they get well soon<br/>
<br/>
Geoff</t>

Back