Mantua Sovereign of the Seas 1:78 bashed to death kit from Janos

External planking is finished now. I started installing the gun port covers (all will be closed). The figure head is still in its infancy, I am working on it only a few hours per week as I am in the Museum.

DSC_3903 s.jpgDSC_3904 s.jpgDSC_3905 s.jpg
Janos

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see how it turns out with the Gun Ports closed. Your work is beyond my capabilities - very nice workmanship.

Donnie

Thanks, Donnie,
I don't know yet, this will be a first for me as well, a ship with closed gunports. I would have a few arguments for this:
- this is a three-decker model, built as POB, so the internal decks are not worked out. Somehow I don't like the idea to show just a shortened gun barrels without any background built.
- although I installed the shortened barrel holders, due some miscalculations some of them are not exactly behind the gunport
- I am not going to use the kit supplied gun barrels (they are awful anyhow) and wanted to restrict the number of castings
- the number of guns is just enormous, so lazyness came into play ... )):-

I hope that a sort of 'harbour' state of the ship would look right, with closed gunports (but with hinges, eyebolts, opening lines etc) and with opened entry port, installed staircase to it.

Janos

Hello Janos

Great job you are doing on your Figure Head, you sure make envious of the skills that you possess and I do not have, keep the pictures coming. Your Sovereign of the Sea reminds me very much of mu HMS Victory that took me over two years to build and I am retired with many hours per day spent in the Old Ship Yard. I did find that with all of the guns to rig and set up did seem to take forever along with all of those gun ports, hinges and lift lines, it is almost as drawn out as the Rat Lines, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Janos,
I just found your log and love the carving. It sounds like you are working at a museum. Are you carving with a rotary tool or by hand gouges? Not that it matters, just curious. Beautiful work.
Thanks for sharing.
Doug

Slowly she starts to look like a ship... Gunports are now closed, prepared for small details (hinges, bolts, lifting lines). The bow structure is done, note the grid replacing the kit's deck. An I just realized that I forgot to cut the gunports & the door on the forecastle... can be done later, though a bit more difficult.
Next step is the galleries and then I can start installing the decorative strips on the hull so the carvings' sizes can be established. Then come the carvings.
Doug: the carvings are done mostly with rotary tools. You can find a bit more detail in the carving section on this site.

DSC_3906 s.jpgDSC_3908 s.jpg
Janos

Doug,
sorry about the late reply. I had been on a few weeks holiday and came back just recently. So the backlog is remarkable...
For my carvings I mostly use rotary tool (Marathon Micromotor) with milling and diamond bits, but also knives, chisels and (as the second most often used tool) scrapers.
Janos

G'day Janos
Just found this amazing site and joined a few days ago.
What I can see mate, this model should be in the scratched build logsection, as everything that is visible, you have done. Can I say, with your normal exquisite standards.
Love the figure head carving. I wish I could do it myself friend, but alas, we are all not as talented as you.
I'll be keeping on eye on your build my dear friend.
happymodelling
Greg

Thanks, Greg!
Haven't posted anything for a while but SoS was slowly creeping ahead. Galleries are in place and I am working on decorations now.

DSC_3909 s.jpgDSC_3910 s.jpgDSC_3912 s.jpg
Janos

Janos

Excellent work. Nice line and your carving amaze me.

Cheers
'Geoff

The figure head is now finished (not the ship as yet, unfortunately). Only about 450 more carvings to make...

DSC_3913 s.jpgDSC_3914 s.jpgDSC_3915 s.jpgDSC_3916 s.jpgDSC_3917 s.jpg
Janos

G'day Janos
There are no words that I can say to express how marvellous this carving is.

Keep up the incredible carvings mate, and this ship should be in the museum.
Happycarvingsmemattie
Greg

Hello Janos

I am really impressed with your figure head carving, I only wish that I had acquired some of your carving skills, but alas they passed me by, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

The current state on the attached photos. A bit of a number of things and as always, nothing is finished yet. What has changed? Handrails all around, belfry, side gallery roofs, rear lantern. Slow advance.

DSC_3947 s.jpgDSC_3948 s.jpgDSC_3949 s.jpgDSC_3950 s.jpgDSC_3951 s.jpgDSC_3952 s.jpgDSC_3953 s.jpg
Janos

Back