Mayflower of Dartmouth

Hi All. I’m helping to build a 1/12 scale model of the Mayflower. It’s a longitudinal cutaway which will displayed in the local
Museum in Dartmouth UK ti celebrate the coming 400th anniversary of the Pilgrim Fathers journey to America.

955828FE-D368-4596-8494-601AACD423D3.jpeg

35F6558D-BDBF-4AE2-B55F-B6D393026ED4.jpeg

609AF942-FAFB-4E35-A1DD-0E8B91FB117E.jpeg

885AEF98-8702-4123-97B0-8B32933DB38A.jpeg

A9BF1F82-A5CC-412A-8228-607227BA918A.jpeg

C1114239-FF9A-4524-9B6A-DC2E2FFF1C61.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see how you manage the rigging with only half a hull! I have never done anything like that myself, so will follow it with interest. Sounds like a pretty tight time schedule for all the work to come!
Bob

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
This is really an interesting project - and huge Thumbs-Up
I would like to see much more of this built and the idea behind

The dead eyes will have to be manufactured. I would think the lower ones would be approx. 3/4 ins dia with the upper ones about 1/2 ins

The rope will also have to be manufactured as it cannot be obtained any other way You could contact some one in the uk.

Majors

I could manufacture the deadeyes for you, You will need about 30 large ones for the lower masts, and 12 smaller ones for the upper masts. They will be about £5.00 each, slightly less for the upper ones. As I said earlier you will need a lot of rope and cordage which will have to be made. Then there will be the pully blocks. They
will be of various sizes, the largest being about 3/4 of an inch in length because of the size the blocks will have to be made as real blocks with sheaves inserted. you will need single , double and trebbel blocks, also a rams head block holding up the lower yards as these yards were not fixed to the masts. The rams head will be a trebel with the falls coming through sheaves in the main fife rail and made up. the reason for this is to take in sail by lowering the yard and removing the bonnet, thus making the sail smaller. I would guess the bonnet on your model would be about 3 to 4ins in height, I would need to see the model. Just as an after thought the deadeyes could be triangular or round, at this stage it was rather on the cusp of development, and the deadeyes on the American Mayflower were round, so round would be quite in order. The price of all of this work would be quite considerable, as it is all complicated work, and would take rather a lot of time. The cost I would say could be around £700.00 maybe less. should you be interested please let me know.

Yours faithfully. Majors.

@cathey Hello Majors. I think it would all best interest and propper to take all of your commission\negotiation talks into a PM (Private Message) between interesting parties.

Happy New Year!!

Hi. Jim.
Not to sure what you mean, has RobertUK not received my info.

Yours. Majors

Hi. Robert.

With regard to the size of your dead eyes, Was I very far out at 3/4 of an inch. Of course it is always preferable to make a couple and then offer them
up. Much the better way. Any way good luck with the project.

Yours Majors

Back