Medieval Fortified Village

So...
I started something completely different.

Years ago (around twenty!), I subscribed to a Del Prado collection (when it still existed ...). I never had time to do this thing, and I quietly locked it in boxes all this time.
Today, to change things a bit, I brought out all this stuff, and I plan to move forward a little.

It is a medieval fortified village from the Middle Ages to be built in mini brick, stone by stone. As usual with collection publishers, Del Prado had entered into a partnership with a kit manufacturer which still exists: Aedes Ars. Some of you may know.
They design all kinds of reconstituted stone kits of monuments, houses, castles, etc.

It is a long, tedious job, with each stone to be adjusted. And personally, I'm new to the field ... We'll see!
That said, I won't be able to prevent myself from personalizing a little ...

couv10.jpg

double10.jpg

double11.jpg

At the end of the construction of each element, the whole must constitute a village; it is planned to make it a global diorama. I'll do it a little differently ... But we're not there yet!
In parallel, I will certainly also start a boat to change my mind from time to time. I will present it to you later.

The first building will be the church of this village.
The work has started: we have to organize, cut, correct, strengthen the cardboard structure (I mounted the cardboard 20 years ago, it had collapsed a bit, we had to take off parts to put them back more late) ...

pb090010.jpg

pb090012.jpg

pb090011.jpg

pb090014.jpg

pb090013.jpg

pb090015.jpg

pb090016.jpg

Last edited:
The following :

pb120010.jpg

pb120012.jpg

pb120011.jpg

pb120013.jpg

In addition, here is the final support of the village proposed by the kit: I will surely not use it at the end, another idea is already in progress to make the supports, but it will serve me to place the elements and the walls between buildings ... A sort of shipyard in fact!

pb120015.jpg

pb120014.jpg

Finally, I planned to make a little richer in the constructions than the rough stone representation, with nothing for the openings of windows, doors, bell tower, etc ... A little brick will not do any harm (to create very small, small!):

pb120016.jpg

I only spent 10 or 15 more hours there: each stone takes time to adjust!
Afterwards, you have to sand, scrape, make the main joints, clean, wash, etc ... I have not yet definitively chosen what appearance I will give to the whole: all the full joints or leave a little "day" between the stones.
:)

All this may seem a bit wobbly from time to time, but I am convinced that it will only make once in place, clean joints, aged, vegetated, in its environment on a base!

pb280011.jpg

pb280010.jpg

pb280012.jpg

pb280013.jpg

pb280014.jpg

pb280015.jpg

pb280016.jpg

Work in progress before sanding and joints on the tower and bell tower.
The bell tower was split in 2 to be able to work the openings a bit.
The apse is finished.
Soon, I will attack the roofs ...

pc220020.jpg

pc220022.jpg

pc220021.jpg

pc220024.jpg

pc220023.jpg

pc220025.jpg

It is something completely different, indeed. But for a professional, it is doesn't really make a big difference what to build... ;) Will watch with big interest, As of now I have few questions: those masonry bricks, what material they are? Looks real. Are they part of the kit or this is an upgrade?

Very interesting kits and idea - something completely different, but any kind of modeling can bring fun.
Many Thanks for sharing - I am looking forward to see more (and I will check your masonry works -> I am a Civil Engineer ;) )

I have few questions: those masonry bricks, what material they are? Looks real. Are they part of the kit or this is an upgrade?
In fact, it is a kind of ceramic. It sands well, breaks with an X-Acto. The stones are part of the kit with different stone sizes. But I added half moon shaped stones, red bricks and other things.
In the same way, I cut myself the cylindrical columns which are not provided: around the door, on the bell tower, or several for the cloister to come ...
On the church, in the Middle Ages, there were very few visible wooden structures, but on the other buildings to come, I will deviate from the somewhat simplistic kit to add things everywhere.

Se ve unas estructuras preciosas y muy bien acabadas, mi más sincera enhorabuena por la construcción, joserraitu

It looks beautiful and very well finished structures, my most sincere congratulations for the construction, joserraitu

Last edited by a moderator:
Back