Milling on a Drill Press

As a gunsmith, you should be able to do everything about turning,
It would have been nice to see how you work a woodbench:)

As a gunsmith, you should be able to do everything about turning,
It would have been nice to see how you work a woodbench:)

Wood and metal are different animals, turning is similar, but tool angles aren't always the same. I have done everything that can be done on a metal lathe from turning and line boring a smooth bore barrel from raw round stock to threading the barrel for the receiver. chambering, suppressor work. Its my hope that having a proper wood lathe that wood turning will be fairly straight forward with little learning curve. In the past using a drill press I have used files to work small wood down and home made cutters for larger stuff resting on a 2X4 rest, wasn't ideal but got the job done, for sure not safely though. Gunsmith work is only part of what I use my lathe and mill for, I make lots of things motorcycle parts, car parts, tattoo machines, belt pulleys, gears, ink pens if I needed something I made it myself.

View attachment 71643

Delivered this morning. Going to try it out today after reading Joe’s “Tutorial” again.

Hmm, ran into a problem. I can mount the X Y table on my Craftsman Drill Press. The Drill Press table slots are parallel.

9hBD4CXMQ7+zDtI3Dr0pZQ.jpg

But the Dremel Drill Press presents a problem. The table slots are in the form of an X.

xAJJxTwIRFmgmBE9akJEmg.jpg

Is there and adapter available or will I have to "engineer" a fix????

Hi pathfinder, Just checked my table on the work station and I can mount it onto the work station, but I have another problem mine has knobs only no handels even though the box shows it, can not start using it as I need a new work station mine is unfixable, will not be able to get anther for 2 weeks as I can not drive anymore but depend on my son-in-law to take me, will post pictures to show the mounting and any help would be greatly appreciated. Don

here are some fixtures the box shows handels but the table does not MAYBE IN THE Accessary box will check

Attachments

• 20190113_202624[3931].jpg
    20190113_202624[3931].jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190113_202517[3934].jpg
    20190113_202517[3934].jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190113_202352[3936].jpg
    20190113_202352[3936].jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 23
to Joe(epicdoom) JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE NOT FROEGOTTEN the milling items that you so gracelley helped me with, but had to wait for SS money to come in before buying the items 10 more days was going to practice on the table mounted on the dremell work station but it is unfixable have to till I get out to get another. AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU ARE A DREAM COME TRUE AS IS GREAT FORUM. Don

I have the accessary box, will check in there, did My pictures help on the work station mounting. THANKS Don

I’ve tried different combinations on the Dremel Drill Press table. It looks like I might be able to use some large washers under the table to hold a bolt to keep it from coming out of the opening of the slot in the table. Then a nut fastened down on the bolt should hold the bolt like a stud. I’ll experiment later.

( watching the NFL playoffs and munching popcorn , everything has priorities)

Hi Joe, Finally have the money to get these items, going to the local Harbor Freight on Saturday with my Son-In-Law, SS check comes in on Wensday, then start testing on scrabs both with the vice and the table, so I am sure there will be questions. THANKS AGAIN Don

Awesome Brother I'm here for any questions. I have been stalled on my projects so I used the time to make some pens on the new wood lathe
was a lot of fun and I knocked them all out in 2 hours. I will be using the big lathe for big stuff but I also bought a tiny lathe for making masts and spars as well as spindles for railings and such on my Ship builds. I should also be able to make all my own deadeyes and blocks now with the lathe.

20190120_180117.jpg20190120_180111.jpg20190120_175838.jpg20190120_175815.jpg20190120_175805.jpg20190120_175607.jpg20190120_175558.jpg20190120_175204.jpg20190120_124206.jpg20190119_191410.jpg
I am setting up a new shop in one of my vacant bed rooms since the kids have moved out a few years ago. I can use that space for building my ships in. that room has a nice amount of natural light from two windows during the day. I ordered a lighted work bench if it ends up suiting my needs I will buy several more and use those to set up all my small power tools and one set aside for a build bench. I have outgrown my little den area I used to build in so now that will be a sewing room for the wife.

Greetings Joe, You are such a skilled and talented person I've ever seen! I can see that many of the skills you've learned help you to build the beautiful models. But I even more impressed with your "show and tell' articles and willingness to help others! Bravo!

Jim that's probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me Thank You Brother. I love helping folks, I grew up in a time where helping someone learn a new skill may have meant your were training your replacement. The old guys didn't give up that knowledge easily unfortunately its created a dead pool of unskilled workers learning as they go. This in turn lowers Pay rates and employees love paying less for the same work. I had to learn many skills on my own fortunately for me I have good comprehension skills and mechanical aptitude. where it comes from I don't know my siblings are dumb as rocks. I like to think I lived many lives having had the skills from back then, who Knows. I take to and figure things out easily. I'm not selfish and want to teach everyone anything I know because IMO learning the skills only to take to the grave with me is a waste.

I learned Flint knapping and primitive tool making as well as trapping from my Grandfather who was a full blood Cherokee Indian, he taught me those skills and I now teach them to anyone who wants to learn. I don't want that information to die it needs to be learned and passed on. If everything went to hell in a basket tomorrow many folks wouldn't make it past a few months. We have become lazy choosing to have others do what we cant or don't want to learn how to do ourselves. Some folks fail to realize Those primitive skills is how we all got here without them we wouldn't have made it. We may some day need to fall back on that especially the way the world is going now. I teach folks because the more who know the better we are as a whole. Some folks also fail to realize that some of the things we do for hobbies could be used full scale in a pinch or even to start over. You build Scale ships and that's not much different from full size if you think about it so you could take what you know and effectively be able to craft a ship full size. how well it works out is only determined by how much you have learned along the way. This is why I teach what I know and I learn from all of you here as well along the way. Again Brother Thank you for the Complements that really made my day.

Hmm, ran into a problem. I can mount the X Y table on my Craftsman Drill Press. The Drill Press table slots are parallel.

View attachment 72186

But the Dremel Drill Press presents a problem. The table slots are in the form of an X.

View attachment 72187

Is there and adapter available or will I have to "engineer" a fix????
sorry I missed this post Brother but it sounds like you figured it out later on I use bolts and washers to mount mine. you can get T slot nuts that will fit your slots you will need to measure it out. Once you have the machine up and running on a drill press you can make T-nuts using the milling function many of the T-nuts I own were made by me so I have a large amount for mounting things. so if you can get the table mounted to the drill press making some will be easy I use a 1/4X20 tap to thread them but you can use larger if you want. this is what you will be making. Use mild steel you don't want hard because that can chew up your slots on your drill press table or dremel table the T-nuts can also be made for use on the mill table as well.
71ErcGlG+pL__SX679_PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_SX679SY684SH20_.jpg

Awesome Brother I'm here for any questions. I have been stalled on my projects so I used the time to make some pens on the new wood lathe
was a lot of fun and I knocked them all out in 2 hours. I will be using the big lathe for big stuff but I also bought a tiny lathe for making masts and spars as well as spindles for railings and such on my Ship builds. I should also be able to make all my own deadeyes and blocks now with the lathe.

View attachment 73460View attachment 73459View attachment 73458View attachment 73457View attachment 73456View attachment 73455View attachment 73454View attachment 73453View attachment 73452View attachment 73451
I am setting up a new shop in one of my vacant bed rooms since the kids have moved out a few years ago. I can use that space for building my ships in. that room has a nice amount of natural light from two windows during the day. I ordered a lighted work bench if it ends up suiting my needs I will buy several more and use those to set up all my small power tools and one set aside for a build bench. I have outgrown my little den area I used to build in so now that will be a sewing room for the wife.

Those pens look great, do you use a template or do you "eyeball" the barrels.

Back