Milling on a Drill Press

Dremel Drill Press Milling.

Just to join the conversation this how I set up my X-Y table for my Dremel drill stand. I haven't done any extensive milling, I"ve just used this to mill flat spot on the Jib Booms for my Enterprise build. I had tried sanding, filing but wasn't satisfied with the results. Being a novice builder it's learn as you go and use what works.

fullsizeoutput_1f6.jpegfullsizeoutput_1f3.jpegfullsizeoutput_1f7.jpegfullsizeoutput_1f5.jpegfullsizeoutput_1f4.jpego5pHff2nStGf20QiLdiEbw.jpg

So far I'm satisfied with this setup.

Hi PATHFINDER, I have the same set up, but do not understand how the WORK STATION, work with the X-Y TABLE, I have the table mounted on my work station it is mounted the same way yours is BUT MY DILEMA IS HOW DO YOU LOCK THE WORK STATION IN A POSITION so you can mill in the X-Y directions to the depth desired locked in, hope I am expressing it corectly. THANKS Don

Hi PATHFINDER, I have the same set up, but do not understand how the WORK STATION, work with the X-Y TABLE, I have the table mounted on my work station it is mounted the same way yours is BUT MY DILEMA IS HOW DO YOU LOCK THE WORK STATION IN A POSITION so you can mill in the X-Y directions to the depth desired locked in, hope I am expressing it corectly. THANKS Don

On the side of the drill press is an depth gauge with an adjustable slide.

SdV6s1ZeTs2WgYnBHpOXNA.jpg

The slide allows the the Dremel tool to move up and down by increments when the handle is raised or lowered.

0uaZawb3Rh6cc2MP5QsbnQ.jpg

Pushing the slide all the way down to the lower limit and tightening it locks the Dremel tool in position.

p7BHsyH5R9eWBQo5%EcodA.jpg

You might have to adjust the Dremel tool to the proper cutting height by using the lever on the back of the column. I usually just swing the Dremel tool to one side or the other to change/add or remove bits, and then slide the the tool up and down the column to get the cutting height I need.

Not very precise and scientific but it works for my purposes. High end accuracy and precise milling requires tools designed for that work.

I hope this helps with your dilemma. I'm a novice at this ship building stuff, but I'm learning every day. It great to share information.

Good luck with using your X-Y table/ Dremel setup.

Jan

Hi Jan, Thanks for the instructions on the dremel work station, I will get to try it out in the next couple of days as I have to clear off my work bench on a project that I am finishing and will be getting back to a build that I am going to try my X-Y TABLE ON, let us keep in touch learning from each other. Don

Back