Model Airways-The Wright Flyer-Scale 1/16

Hallo Barry alias @Barry1
definitely today you are number 1
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
PS: Are you working in moment on an actual project?
Thanks for the kind wishes. I am not working on a build at this time. Hoping to start one in 2021.

Can someone pls help me here: The instructions tell me to drill holes in the bottom four "feet" of the engine block and also holes in the engine mounting logs....but they don't say why. I called Model Airways. The very nice guy who works there said "I have no idea either". Who can tell me why I'm drilling these holes and how far fore or aft does the engine get mounted? Great model kit. CRUMMY instructions. Brian Amato, Traverse City, Michgian

Can someone pls help me here: The instructions tell me to drill holes in the bottom four "feet" of the engine block and also holes in the engine mounting logs....but they don't say why. I called Model Airways. The very nice guy who works there said "I have no idea either". Who can tell me why I'm drilling these holes and how far fore or aft does the engine get mounted? Great model kit. CRUMMY instructions. Brian Amato, Traverse City, Michgian
Hallo Brian alias @Brian Amato
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I hope, that @Barry1 or somebody else knowning this kit is reading this post and is able to help..... I am crossing the fingers

Brian,

The two drawing are in the instructions and the photo of the engine used in the Flyer. The "feet" are what the engine rests and are used to attache the engine to the wooden mount ("logs") that is part of the wing structure. drill out the lugs on the engine and match drill in the correct location/orientation on the engine mounts. I'm guessing there is hardware provided to install the engine.

This build thread has a lot of helpful photos including the engine installation the should be of some help.

Regards,

John McMakin

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Engine mount.JPG
    Engine mount.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for all the help folks. Still no fore and aft dimension for mounting the engine to be found. Guess just wait until I'm far enough along to line up the engine/chains with the props and that should locate the engine.

Brian,

That will give you perfect alignment. You may be able to dry fit enough of the prop drive system to get the location while it is still easy to drill the holes.

Glad to help.

I found these in my Wright Flyer folder. Maybe they will of som help.

Attachments

• 1903_Flyer_Blueprints_Plate_1.jpg
    1903_Flyer_Blueprints_Plate_1.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1903_Flyer_Blueprints_Plate_2.jpg
    1903_Flyer_Blueprints_Plate_2.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 13
Served aboard USS ESSEX CVS-9, 1960 - 1964. MM2 in "B" Division. Worked in the Evaporators, berthed with the guys from the "Oil & Water" gang.
Great ship, great crew. "THE OLDEST AND THE BOLDEST"

The "Crows you see at the bottom left are the rankings on this forum site. Any "Crows" you see on the TOP left are avitars, and these people may be NAVY.

EJ

I see some Navy "crows" on these pages. Who's Navy?
No "crow" but an airdale served with Heavy Attack Reconnaissance Squadrons out of NAS Sanford in the middle '60s deploying aboard the Independence, Saratoga, and Ranger in Tonkin Gulf Yankee Station (Yankee Station Yacht Club!) Rich (PT-2) my E-5 rating as a photo interpreter.

Served aboard USS ESSEX CVS-9, 1960 - 1964. MM2 in "B" Division. Worked in the Evaporators, berthed with the guys from the "Oil & Water" gang.
Great ship, great crew. "THE OLDEST AND THE BOLDEST"

The "Crows you see at the bottom left are the rankings on this forum site. Any "Crows" you see on the TOP left are avitars, and these people may be NAVY.

EJ
thanks for serving. I was a brown shoe. ASW squadron - VP-21 out of Brunswick, Maine, flying P2V7s. I was the photo intelligence kid taking pictures of Russian Subs and Freighters. 1967-1970

Hey guys. I'm starting the assembly of the engine on the Wright Flyer and can't find the crankshaft. I don't find it among the cast Britania metal parts. I'm beginning to think it's something I'm supposed to make out of brass tubing. Is that right? Couldn't they just say "WP-126 to made by the builder" or something like that? Am I right in this? How do I know how long to make it? Thanks in advance.

Brian,

The two drawing are in the instructions and the photo of the engine used in the Flyer. The "feet" are what the engine rests and are used to attache the engine to the wooden mount ("logs") that is part of the wing structure. drill out the lugs on the engine and match drill in the correct location/orientation on the engine mounts. I'm guessing there is hardware provided to install the engine.

This build thread has a lot of helpful photos including the engine installation the should be of some help.

Regards,

John McMakin
Hey guys. I'm starting the assembly of the engine on the Wright Flyer and can't find the crankshaft. I don't find it among the cast Britania metal parts. I'm beginning to think it's something I'm supposed to make out of brass tubing. Is that right? Couldn't they just say "WP-126 to be made by the builder" or something like that? Am I right in this? How do I know how long to make it? Thanks in advance.

Brian, sorry to be late in replying. I built this model back in 2019 and I must admit it’s a bit of a challenge to remember the details. I did not drill any holes in the engine block. I chose to secure the engine block using epoxy. This was more than sufficient. The challenge to me with the engine assembly was getting the chain supports and chain line installed.
good luck on your build.

No "crow" but an airdale served with Heavy Attack Reconnaissance Squadrons out of NAS Sanford in the middle '60s deploying aboard the Independence, Saratoga, and Ranger in Tonkin Gulf Yankee Station (Yankee Station Yacht Club!) Rich (PT-2) my E-5 rating as a photo interpreter.
I was a photo interpreter (PT) in ASW at NAS Brunswick flying in P2s. I was the kid hanging out the after station window photographing Russian Subs and Freighters.

Worked on the engine and magneto yesterday. Lots of very small and delicate parts to this kit. I have decided to paint all the engine and drive train related parts black based on the display of the Wright Flyer at the Smithsonian. I was recently able to visit the Air and Space Museum and found lots of good detail and ideas for the plane. More on that later.
I also assembled the jig to be used to assembleView attachment 101516 the plane. I jig holds the top and bottom wing so you can more easily add the struts and wires.
View attachment 101518
Barry....what the heck is the crankshaft made out of? I kept looking for a pre-formed (Britania) crank until I finally found a footnote or addendum that said something about a change in part number nomenclature being 1/32 brass tubing. Is the crank something the builder is supposed to fab out of tubing? What length? Doesn't say anywhere. Maybe, as we used to say in the Navy "Hammer to fit...paint to match"

Back